What to do??? Interested in a Portable Amp, but not sure which one?!
Feb 24, 2008 at 6:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

TSi

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey all

Basically, I'm actually getting ready to "upgrade" soon to an amped setup for portable use.
Right not, I'm using a Samsung P2 (dont think I'll switch dap for a while) and all it has is a headphone out, and no line out (or i dont think so at least). I will be using custom IEMS (Livewires / FreQs) with this setup. I will also be using 320bitrate mp3s / aacs, so in terms of sound quality, it shouldnt be too low.

I am kinda new to the amp / dac business, so im just looking around for what may be the "best" to do. Also, I would like to have a usb in or something so that I can maybe plug it to my macbook too when I am not on the go.

A few things to first note:
- portability
- price range (less than 250$ for sure, if possible, give me a few recommendation from below 100$, 100-150$, 150-200$, and 200-250$ so i have a choice)
- looks (i prsonally dont want something that looks "cheap")
- usb? (if possible, for macbook)

I am not sure to whether get a portable amp, a portable dac, or a combined portable piece of hardware. If i do not need a portable dac, i guess a portable amp would do fine.

Thanks a lot all!

Feb 24, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #2 of 25
I can list a few, but can only recommend the one I have, which is the Corda 2Move.

Corda 2Move ($248.00)
iBasso D2
iBassi D1
Corda Headsix
RSA "The Tomahawk" (295.00 and no DAC)

These are in your price range, anything else I know of is above your budget.

The 2Move isn't the most portable amp out there, but it's smaller than my iPod 5.5g, but thicker. That should give you a general idea about it's size.

About iem's, I know a lot of amps have very high gain, especially iems with low current needs. I'll let other members chime in about that specifically.

Feb 24, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #4 of 25
Feb 24, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #7 of 25
Are there more "amp" users that maybe can help shed the light on some of the stuff?

So going portable DAC isnt necessary right? if I have about 200$ , i should be getting a pretty decent portable amp?

Feb 25, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there more "amp" users that maybe can help shed the light on some of the stuff?

So going portable DAC isnt necessary right? if I have about 200$ , i should be getting a pretty decent portable amp?

Nope, you don't need an DAC for portable use. I have a Tomahawk, and it's all I need in terms of amping
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, you don't need an amp for portable use. I have a Tomahawk, and it's all I need in terms of amping
biggrin.gif

wait? i dont need an amp at all for portable use? hmm... but then im afraid that when i get my customs (or use higher end iems) they will give a lot of hissing.

Ive used my SF3 and i have to use the attenuator (which causes it to have a lack of volume) because there are hissing / static.

Feb 25, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #10 of 25
If you want a decent portable amp that won't cost you a ton, grab a mini3 from rockhopper audio. It is really small, and sounds wonderful. I just hear one yesterday, and it drove my DX1000's with ease.

Feb 25, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #11 of 25
Generally, if you are using a headphone out connection from your DAP, an external amp is amplifying the signal from the built in amp in your DAP. That often makes the external amp seem more like a volume control than anything else. I have read, in the case of noise/hissing issues, you can reduce the output of your DAP, thereby lowering the noise level/threshold, and use the amp to drive the phones. Most DAPs can adequately drive many headphones from the headphone out jack. So, you may not need an amp right now.

If you get a higher impedence headphone and your DAP is unable to drive them properly, an amp may then be necessary.

An amp/DAC combo is pretty versatile. While you can use a unit of this nature as a pure headphone amp, the USB/DAC is really useful when paired with a PC or Mac. If you want to go this route, I can personally recommend the iBasso D1 at $249 plus S&H.

Feb 25, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so basically, without a line out, a portable amp is not that useful unless u want to get rid of the static... for 200$.

Or, if your DAP cannot drive the headphones.

Feb 25, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by breakfastchef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or, if your DAP cannot drive the headphones.

hmm, i guess i shall be looking for an amp/dac for my portable use + mac use.

right now im thinking of the D2, are there nething else within that price range?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back