What to do about Koss headphones?
Apr 28, 2012 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

DJDestroid

New Head-Fier
I've stuck with Koss for some time now but the incredibly thin and flimsy cables rarely last more than a few months. I've sent them back a few times, and replaced them myself some times. 

Both my Portapros and KSCs(held my a portapro band) have gone now. I may be able to resolder the KSCs, but I'm trying to get the Portapro back for a replacement either way.

This is so incredibly frustrating.

I'm thinking of ordering a spare set of KSCs for now. I like the sound of both the KSCs and Portarpos, and the KSCs are far cheaper to replace.

I don't like having to do this though. I want something with the quality of the Portapro, for a reasonable price that I don't have to replace every few months. From what I know, the Portapro used to be like this until they switched to a cheaper cable.

I've thought about recabling, however it looks awkward to me. Is there any way I can just get a headphone chord ready to go and solder on? It doesn't need to be some $200 thing, just something cheap but more sturdy than what they come up.

Stuck using some uncomfortable Sony earbuds for now, surprisingly good sound after a bit of EQ but I can't keep it up. Music listening was always an experience with the Portapros.

Apr 28, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #3 of 14
I'm looking for small over ear phones like the Portapro. I want something portable, even considering getting buds as a spare for this. Nothing much pricier than the Portapro either, *really* skint ATM.

Apr 28, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #4 of 14
Try the $13  JVC HA-S160. It sounds quite good for the price, and imo it is quite sturdy. it is closed, however because it is so small, it doesn't isolate well.

Apr 29, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #6 of 14
Maybe you should look into getting a pair of porta-pros recabled. There's got to be a way to make them sturdier, reenforce the contacts, heat shrink joints by the cable?

There's gotta be a way to make them more robust.

Apr 29, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #7 of 14
I haven't found any service that does so for an affordable price. For the prices they go at I'd probably be best just buying a pair every year until I'm in a financial situation where I can buy something better.

Apr 29, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #8 of 14
Hmm...

Well I can't find or think of anything else that would be more durable.

If you've got a totaled pair lying around, it might be worth trying some shrink tube/solder/glue yourself.

Are you opposed to IEMs by any chance?

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #9 of 14
Why do you consider the $13 JVC HA-S160 comparable in price to the $40 Koss Portapro? I actually paid $8 for some of the HAS160 headphones I bought.

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #10 of 14
I was saying I was looking for something that was a comparable price(or level of quality rather) to the Portapro. I'm not looking for actual cheap headphones(though I'm aware the Portapro are bargain basement by some people's standards here). 

Apr 29, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #11 of 14
Imo the $13 JVC HA-S160 sounds BETTER than the $40 Portapro. I have had the Portapro over 10 years, and bought my first HA-S160 just a few months ago. While the HA-S160 has less bass than the Portapro, the bass on the HA-S160 is much better controlled. The treble on the HA-S160 is so much better than the treble on the Portapro. Imo the HA-S160 also has a better midrange with more detail. I do like my PX100 a bit better than the HA-S160, however the PX100II is now $70 in the US. Does it make sense to pay $70 for a headphone that is only slightly better than a $13 one(I paid $40 for my PX100 a few years ago).

Apr 29, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #13 of 14
I loved my KSC75s, but they'd crap out on me every few months.  Good thing they have a lifetime warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back