What to complement HD 580
Oct 1, 2010 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

gurusan

100+ Head-Fier
OK so my first intro to the world of decent headphones has been the HD 580, and omg what an intro.

Anywany I love everything about them, but there are certain things I listen to that require more bass. I just bought some Sony XB700 for things like trance and hiphop as I thought they would be a good "opposite" to the HD580 but very affordable at the same time... but I'm not so much a fan so far. The mids seem to recessed for me......

So what are some sub-150-200 dollar cans with decent bass for electronic music?

I was thinking D770 600ohm or something?

Oct 1, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #5 of 13
I didn't - mids absence (recession would be too weak as description), uncomfortably tiny housings and creaking cheap plastic headbands. The DT770 has principally the same recipe, but much better implemented, better soundstage, highly comfortable, and it's built like a tank.

Ultrasone, Bose and Schranz don't make exactly proud to be german
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 3, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #8 of 13
Denon AH-D2000 headphones are what your looking for. They are good all-rounders. The bass stands out the most, I'm sure you'll like them. Personally, I'd stick with your HD 580's and get a really good Headphone Amplifier, but that's entirely your choice.

Oct 4, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #9 of 13
The D2000 bass tends towards the boomy one-tone sort though, and also the mids aren't exactly wordclass ...IMO the D2000/5000/7000 are waaay overrated...

Oct 4, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #10 of 13
You're in Portland.  Go to 32 Ohm Audio and sample a bunch of headphones.  They've got Ultrasone, Denon, Beyer, Sony, and a bunch of others available for demo.  Listening for yourself is a lot better than asking other people what they sound like.

Bring your HD580 and XB700 along so you have a basis for comparison to what you're used to.  If you have your own amp you can bring that along as well.  Always better to demo through your own amp rather than demoing on an amp you're not familiar with.  Using your own amp will also let you know if a particular headphone (say a 600 ohm Beyer or 25 ohm Denon) will work well with your amp.

Oct 4, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
For decent bass / electronic music, I enjoyed a closed Ultrasone. 

x2.

In that price range I'd go for the HFI 780. Some people say the mids are recessed, but I don't find this to be the case. I do admit that they are thinner sounding than the highs and bass, but the vocals sound upfront to me. At least more so than either of my Senns or my old Sextetts.

I lowballed service-and-sales on ebay and got my pair for $150 shipped.

edit: but yeah, better to audition headphones yourself if you can

Oct 5, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #12 of 13
What are you amping the XB700s with?  They need plenty of current to shine.

Oct 5, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #13 of 13
I don't think XB700 is the headphone to look for if you're looking for more bass than HFI-580 and a headphone for hip-hop & trance, I think XB500 might have suited better from the Sony XB series because it shares the same aggressive/forward sound signature that's found in the Ultrasones but there's a significant difference in the highs though, highs are far smoother and not as extended as on XB700 nor the HFI-580 and I think both due to the more aggressive sound signature coupled with smoother highs makes the mids stand out a bit more on the XB500 than XB700 and more than DT770 Pro/80 too IMO, the mids were more recessed on that headhpone but I don't know about the 600ohm version it's probably better but requires a powerful amp as well. Anyway XB500 is extremely easy driven and doesn't require an amp to sound near it's full potential and the bass is much more punchy and there's more impact versus XB700 which has quite loose bass and lacks punch & impact unless you amp it properly. XB700 is more laid-back and more versataile perhaps, more suitable also for jazz, blues and classical listening while XB500 is like made for genres like hip-hop, trance, dubstep, hardstyle etc but I enjoy this headphone even for ballads and instrumental etc due to the IMO superb mids for the price that sounds so "full"/meaty (after some EQing), it responds well to EQing and you can get so much more out of it that way. HFI-580 is already very bassy headphone but XB500 is definitely bassier and signficantly bassier than XB700 too due to the bigger focus on upper bass >80Hz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back