What to call uh...the Singlepower Dragon
Feb 7, 2007 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Glod

1000+ Head-Fier
There is a new Singlepower amplifier ordered, made and delivered. tkam is the guilty together with Mikhail and they have come up with something quite different to the rest of the official and special order models.
smily_headphones1.gif

I know I am treading on thin ice when I try to describe it and the possible influences from former models. Please correct me. It seems that the main feature is the ability to drive high amplification factor tubes like, e.g. the 5998 and the 6080; and, also less powerful tubes equally well. This is made possible by applying two gain stages, of which the second one is defeatable. The amp has an external solid-state regulated power supply unit with two transformers. The two chassis are housed in boxes that, by the look of them, also were used for the SDS-T.

I would like to thank all of you who gave ideas to what this amp could be called. Especially tkam, who actually already stated that he will call it “The Dragon”. I think that is a fine name, and, really, who am I to dispute it. Nevertheless
rolleyes.gif
, I cannot get rid of the itch of thinking of names in the tradition of earlier Singlepower amps.

Till recently, all special order amps were derived from the well known “base models” from SinglePower Audio Inc. Some were only slightly modified, some extensively, such as the SDS (further development of the Supra) and it’s later extrapolations SDS Accent and SDS-XLR. A year ago we saw the ES-1 electrostatic amplifier and in the end of last year the extreme range made it’s appearance.

"Extreme" doesn’t say much either about what these amplifiers are about more than that the ring of it, well, sounds extreme.
evil_smiley.gif
But if we are looking for heritance, the Extreme can explain some of the thoughts behind the new one I think. Prior to the Extreme, there were a few amps build to drive non-6SN7GT tubes. The Slam featured amplifiers are not counted here since that option basically boils down to the use of socket adaptors, usable on almost all Singlepowers nowadays. No, I am thinking of the couple of amplifiers build, or modified, to get optimal driving conditions with 6BL7GTA, 6BX7GT and other tubes that required higher plate voltage work at their best. That idea eventually manifested in the SE concept, with it’s upgraded transformers, adjustable bias and slightly adopted circuitry. The ice was broken to look at other high effect tubes.

It seems that this new amplifier is a further development of this idea: An amplifier that has a double gain stage, which allows for optimal driving conditions for medium gain tubes - and - high gain one’s, by either the use both stages or by by-passing the second. It would seem that if it came from somewhere it would be from the Extreme direction. But - this is The Dragon.

The question is now, what is a good name for this amplifier? Simply "The Dragon" or something that links it to the other Singlepower amps? The owner has probably made up his mind and I think it is only fair that we honor his choice; but a few describing words in addition might not hurt. Would it? One does not choose one's own nickname.
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 29
My vote goes out to "SP Extreme SE-2 Dragon." It's got a nice ring to it.

Feb 7, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless it's going to be a "regular production model", what's the point?

- augustwest

Not much is regular with Singlepower models.
evil_smiley.gif
I think that is much of the appeal the amps have. Basically all are made to measure. Sometimes not very drastically but sometimes extensively.

The base models are just the tip of the iceberg and there have been so many other interesting amps made. Some of them have been just one-off's, but some must have been significant in production numbers or for the turnover. Think of the PPX3 SLAM, the one with permanent 5687 out-put tubes and "texture control", or the SDS-XLR.

I think it would be sad if these amps did not get a name that could help other Singlepower enthusiasts put them into context. Without a name, they will easily disappear in people’s minds I fear. I would like to stress again that I think it is the owners right to call his amp basically what ever he likes. I am just looking for the possibility to add some enlightening information to it.

I have made a little list of the, to my knowledge, known SP amps at Head-Fi.org.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...18#post1726018

I have my finger on the trigger to put yet another one on it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some of those names sound like Street Fighter titles.

I wouldn't know. Most of the names are suggested by other members.

Feb 7, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #7 of 29
Then you need Single Power EX II Alpha Plus Third Strike Dragon

Feb 7, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then you need Single Power EX II Alpha Plus Third Strike Dragon

You forgot Extreme
evil_smiley.gif
icon10.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #9 of 29
something like ""you so wish you own this amp Glod" has a good ring to it.

Feb 7, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems that the main feature is the ability to drive high amplification factor tubes like, e.g. the 5998 and the 6080; and, also less powerful tubes equally well. This is made possible by applying two gain stages, of which the second one is defeatable.

I'm pretty sure it should be called The Double Dragon.

Feb 7, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
something like ""you so wish you own this amp Glod" has a good ring to it.

Yeah, right
600smile.gif
. It is a fine amp, no doubt, and it is a beautiful technical/audio solution IMHO. But, I am fine with my old MPX3. A non-SLAM mind you.

Feb 7, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sure it should be called The Double Dragon.

I like that too. Actually, it was a suggestion that didn't make to poll.
frown.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You forgot Extreme
evil_smiley.gif
icon10.gif

That's what the EX stands for. =]

Feb 7, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what the EX stands for. =]

Just to make sure we understand each other.
tongue.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #15 of 29
My suggestion...

"the Single power Komodo"

((double gain stage= the Komodo's double topped tongue))

(( tube rolling like no tomorrow, rare for such a amp to be so unverisal = the Komodo is rare for a lizard eating meat...meat is what they seek and hunt, tubes are the Komodo's meat.))

((unlike its other brother/sister amps in the family the Komodo is narrow right to left and long front to back = Komodo grows to 7.5feet long and just a foot or more left to right.))

I can honestly come up with more of these...
oh and If SP uses the Komodo as a name I will take an amp for cost (parts)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back