What to buy? Perplexed
Oct 24, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #16 of 26
Haha, I have had so many problems with iPod 4Gs and 5Gs over the years.
Hard drive and battery failures all the time.
They sound great with the Wolfson DAC but, went through 5-6 replacements... under warranty of course.
Got to love Apple warranty.

Now I have the Cowon J3.
Sounds great to me, do not even require an amp anymore.
Up your budget a bit and get it!
Super reliable and crazy battery life.
The 5G is... old.

Oct 24, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #17 of 26
It amazes me how someone gives their budget and everyone tries to talk to person into a higher budget istead of trying to find best solution in their budget. The j3 for a 15gb would be 210.00 then needs a micro sd to get a larger capacity.

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #18 of 26

Quote:
It amazes me how someone gives their budget and everyone tries to talk to person into a higher budget istead of trying to find best solution in their budget. The j3 for a 15gb would be 210.00 then needs a micro sd to get a larger capacity.

Welcome to Head-Fi - sorry for your wallet  sanity !

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Ok very well.
OP could try the Sansa line, Fuze, Clip, Clip+...
Never tried them but they have received glowing reviews here on Head-Fi.

Only suggested the J3 because it is attainable for lower than 210.00 on the used market (which is what the OP was looking at) and sometimes new (sales?).

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #20 of 26

Quote:
They sound great with the Wolfson DAC but, went through 5-6 replacements... under warranty of course.

The dual Wolfson DACs in my T1 would cremate any of the iPods I have owned, and that includes the legendary 1G Shuffle, several Classics, the 6G Nano and a couple of Touch models. Add the incredibly powerful amp in the thing and I have no idea how HoD sells these for 139 USD. Sure, the UI looks like it was designed by a first year computer science student, but the sound processing is first class.

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #21 of 26
clip + & a microsd expansion? 

Oct 24, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #22 of 26
That is a good suggestion. I would say the sansa route but if he could afford it and would meet his storage needs then the J#, if it does not meet his storage needs than an ipod classic. There is no way anything smaller than a 160gig would meet my needs for my music. I still dont have all my music on my 160 ipod and it is full.My wife has a 160 ipod that is around 60gigs free so she is good for now.

Quote:

Ok very well.
OP could try the Sansa line, Fuze, Clip, Clip+...
Never tried them but they have received glowing reviews here on Head-Fi.
Only suggested the J3 because it is attainable for lower than 210.00 on the used market (which is what the OP was looking at) and sometimes new (sales?).

Oct 25, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #23 of 26
Psgarcha, thanks for the heads up re: the iPod Classic's HDD fails, but I could just buy a long warranty. As quisxx said, the HifiMan is a bit too expensive for me, but even if I were to consider it.. the UI is awful - and so is the battery life.

It frustrates me that no one but Apple seems to be able to pull off a high capacity, great sounding and nicely interfaced player (if you find one, please let me know ASAP!)

Oct 25, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #24 of 26
I have owned and own an iPod 5.5g, Classic both 6th and 7th Gen, as well as a Sansa Clip+. All devices work fine and get TONS of use. I have the most problems with the Clip+ and it of course has the least storage. I think the 5.5 version of the iPod sounds best, the 6th Gen Classic the worst, and the 7th Gen Classic is my overall fave. I'm going to purchase 1 or 2 new ones to hang on to now that I hear they are going to quit making them. It's around $230 for the 160 GB 7th Gen. I think it is foolish to pass up the opportunity to have one. Those who's golden ears prevent them from sharing this device have my pity. It's fine, and it holds A LOT OF MUSIC. I can't wait for it to be Rock Boxed.

Oct 26, 2011 at 9:24 AM Post #25 of 26
The Samsung P2, P3, Sony X1060, philips Muse, Fuze and X_Fi 2 offers great soundquality.

Oct 26, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #26 of 26

Quote:
The Samsung P2, P3, Sony X1060, philips Muse, Fuze and X_Fi 2 offers great soundquality.

OK, but the OP was perplexed when he started the thread - we haven't exactly narrowed it down for him. 
biggrin.gif

For me, it comes down to budget and availability - of the players you have listed, how many are still available new ? I also found the UI on the P3 to be a bit of a trial, personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back