What to buy after Fostex T50RP mk3 (more dynamic and alive)
May 14, 2020 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

tomasg

New Head-Fier
Hi,
Looking for a replacement for my heavily worn out Fostex T50RP mk3. I used them 3 years at least 5 days a week, 3-5 hours a day and now the cable, headband and pads are in seriously bad condition.

Instead of "investing" in them I'm looking for something to replace them. More dynamic, more colorful sound signature, can be slightly less linear.

Good thing is that most of the time I wear headphones in my home office so they can be either closed or open - does not matter much.

Not so good - I'm going to work outside in the fresh air more this summer, so lots of time I'll use laptop and Audioquest Dragonfly to drive the headphones.

Music - some old rock, some electronics and pop, no classics.

Any suggestions? Will be buying in Europe, budget for headphones can be 120-200 Euro new or used.

May 14, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 4
Audio Technica ATH-M50 or ATH-M50x. Both are fun-sounding headphones with slight emphasis on bass, but no crazy amounts. These will last years if you take care of them and lotion the pads every 6 months.

May 19, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #3 of 4
Hi,
Looking for a replacement for my heavily worn out Fostex T50RP mk3. I used them 3 years at least 5 days a week, 3-5 hours a day and now the cable, headband and pads are in seriously bad condition.

Instead of "investing" in them I'm looking for something to replace them. More dynamic, more colorful sound signature, can be slightly less linear.

Good thing is that most of the time I wear headphones in my home office so they can be either closed or open - does not matter much.

Not so good - I'm going to work outside in the fresh air more this summer, so lots of time I'll use laptop and Audioquest Dragonfly to drive the headphones.

Music - some old rock, some electronics and pop, no classics.

Any suggestions? Will be buying in Europe, budget for headphones can be 120-200 Euro new or used.

Maybe Meze 99s. I cannot see going to low-end AT phones after you had a planar.

May 20, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 4
You want "alive" sound? Consider the Grado SR80e.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back