What Thorens table should I be looking for?
Jan 7, 2007 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

fetus

Head-Fier
I came to the conclusion that this Dual 1241 is just not worth my time to fix up into great condition, thus being the audio enthusiast that I am, I was somewhat swayed into thinking about getting a Thorens table.
First, are there any other turntables that I should be looking at that could be found used for a good price on ebay or something to that nature? I see a few tables by Rega and Linn but I have little knowledge about them, should I be looking for their tables and not Thorens
Second, if Thorens really are a worthy turntable, which Thorens tables are worth my time and which should I skip over?

My price range is about $150.

Jan 7, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #2 of 9
That's a little too low of a budget for the turntables you're considering. You'll probably have to up that a bit. Look for a TD-160 or 165. Those are usually pretty reasonable.

See ya
Steve

Jan 7, 2007 at 9:19 AM Post #3 of 9
fetus: What's wrong with your 1241? That's a nice table, if it's still in good working condition....

Anyway, to the Thorenses: Fine to excellent are the TD126/127/226 and the TD520/521 as well as the comparatively rare direct drives models TD524/738 (a bit less the TD535) and the TD2001/3001, very good the TD160(especially the Super version)/147 as well as the TD320 and a bit less the TD165/145/166/146 as well as the TD316/318.

Can't really comment that much on models like the TD104/105, TD110/115, TD124, TD125 and the TD150, 'cause I've rarely ever heard these.

Not as good as the real Thorenses above, but still fairly good is the TD280 - though it often seems to sell for more than it's worth nowadays. Not really recommended: TD295 (Pro-Ject OEM; not a bad table as such, but overpriced, imo), TD170/190 (Dual/Fehrenbacher OEM; TD190: tolerable entry-level model, TD170: very simple entry-level model, but both overpriced, imo) and the TD240 (also Dual/Fehrenbacher OEM; fairly nice entry-level model, but imo as overpriced as anything that comes from the new Thorens company - I guess I don't really like 'em...
evil_smiley.gif
).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jan 7, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #4 of 9
For lots of Thorens info, try: http://www.theanalogdept.com/

Many say that the 125 & 150 are the ones to get, and I'm keeping my eye out for a nicely setup 125 myself. Also a 160 Super, which I had and it was good (wish I never sold it). I also had a 126mk3 which was a nice table and I managed to grab it for $330, but the auto funtions were finicky and more trouble than they were worth which is why I ultimately sold that table. As for Rega, the P3 is worth the extra cost over the P2, and it's not a big difference in $$. Unfortunately you won't find these in your price range. I'd stick with what you have until you can spend a bit more. When you get into the $500 range you can get something good, like a Thorens TD125 with arm and cartridge or P3 with arm and cartridge, and it will be worth the wait.

Jan 7, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #7 of 9
If you're interested in a Rega, you might want to piece one together. I found an armless Planar 3 for $200. You can find used RB250/300 arms in the $170-$300 range and complete it. I know it's more than you're planning to spend, but you could space out the purchases and end up with a better deck than a P1 or any of the other entry level decks.

Jan 7, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for the information! My budget really is just arbitrary at the moment for I am now simply in the planning stage of this purchase.
I really have no knowledge on these kinds of high end tables, especially the mix and match table and tonearm type setup.
I'm looking around the Analog Dept. now but what other sites might be informative on older high end turntables?

Edit: Also, where should I buy these turntables from. I really to have a huge hesitation about using eBay ever again for turntables (Long story about my 1241, but because of eBay crap and improper shipping on the sellers behalf the auto drop and lift functions do not work properly and there was nothing I could do about it) but it seems like it is the only place to pick these guys up from.

Jan 8, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #9 of 9
If you live in a metropolitan area, search ebay for turntables in your area. That way, you can go look at them before you bid, and pick them up to save damage in shipping.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back