What the the best versatile, 'all-rounder' headphone that you own?
Sep 25, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #2 of 40
Lp2s by Vmoda
Lots of hate, but i have 4 years of heavy use on them. I sleep with them on with no worry they will break unlike some of the other cans.

Not the best out there, but not the worst.

Sep 26, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #4 of 40
Would have to be my Philips SHP9500, even though I love my Fostex TH-X00 Purplehearts more than any other headphone I have from a music listening perspective. The SHP9500 present everything I like to listen to in a manner I really enjoy almost as well as the TH-X00's, quite similar sounding other than the bass/subass actually. What they do better than the X00's is they have a 3.5mm jack for cable attachment (and mic attachment with V-Moda Boom PRO for gaming), are extremely lightweight and robust feeling, and are very comfortable for spending long amounts of time on your head - especially since I now have Shure 1540 pads on them...

i-4sZjjRL-3072x2304.jpg

Sep 27, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #6 of 40
My headphone collection has shrunk over the past few months, so I don't have a lot to choose from, but my Beyerdynamic T5Ps are without a doubt the most versatile. Very spacious sounding, with incredible mids and lots of detail throughout all frequency ranges. They somewhat lack in lower-bass, but mid-bass is pretty solid, so they have a fair amount of impact for rock and other harder genres of music.

Runner up would probably be my DT770 Pro 80s. I hear a lot of people say they have recessed mids, but I just don't hear that at all. They're quite nice in the mids, actually. Decently large soundstage (certainly for a closed headphone) and lots of bass makes for a very fun listen for most genres of music, as well as movies and games.

Sep 27, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #7 of 40
  A headphone you use for a variety of tasks and/or genres of music!

Practically I use every headphone I own for every genre of music.
That said, I think my Audio Technica ATH-A900X is the most allround headphone I own, great at every genre, but not the best at any. 

Sep 27, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #8 of 40
Would have to be my Philips SHP9500, even though I love my Fostex TH-X00 Purplehearts more than any other headphone I have from a music listening perspective. The SHP9500 present everything I like to listen to in a manner I really enjoy almost as well as the TH-X00's, quite similar sounding other than the bass/subass actually. What they do better than the X00's is they have a 3.5mm jack for cable attachment (and mic attachment with V-Moda Boom PRO for gaming), are extremely lightweight and robust feeling, and are very comfortable for spending long amounts of time on your head - especially since I now have Shure 1540 pads on them...

i-4sZjjRL-3072x2304.jpg

Heard amazing things about those, especially for the price!! I do, however, find it hard to believe when people say they prefer these to £500+ cans

Sep 27, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #9 of 40
For the time being I got rid of all my headphones except for the Koss KTXPRO1.

Out of all the headphones I have owned, I'd have to pick the STAX SR-207 and Yamaha HPH-MT220 for versatility; one for accuracy, the other for fun. Both were excellent all-rounders for me. I didn't dislike any music with them.

Sep 27, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #10 of 40
For walking around: HD25's. What they lack in soundstage and neutrality, they make up for in isolation, comfort and durability.

For home: T50RP Mk3's. Mine are unmodded except for adding HD600 foam to the headband and switching the pads for de-foamed 840's. I have yet to find anything they can't do marvelously well, though I do prefer the SHP-9500's for gaming due to the extra soundstage and BoomPro compatibility.

Sep 27, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #11 of 40
Hifiman Edition S. Can be used open or closed. Compact enough to take on the go, but comfortable enough for long listening sessions. Not exactly neutral, but balanced enough that they do a lot of music well

Sep 28, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #15 of 40
Versatility to me means a balanced voicing. In that category there are 3 that stand out. Fostex T50RP MK3, HD650, and AT M50x. All are voiced with a very balanced approach to bass, mid, high and their character can be changed easily with EQ to slide in to any role you wish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back