What the? Denon D2000 got the same sound signature as my cheapo philips
Sep 10, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #17 of 28
These are my oppinions, and I have never heard the said philips headphone, I have heard the Denon at a meet.

Its not uncommon for headphones to have similar frequency responses, regardless of price. Take for example these two, which measure identical from 20-1600Hz:

graphCompare.php

Yet anyone who has heard/owned either of these will emphatically tell you they are night and day different sounding (myself included).

What sets these 2 worlds apart is their speed and transient differences from 20-1600, more so than their frequency characteristics. One (RS1) is fast, snappy and airy-articulate. The other (sporta) is sluggish, massive "feeling", soggy, congested and lacks detail resolution. Its VERY apparent listening to pipe organ tones. The sporta is a flabby mess that is devoid of detail and airy texture resolution.

No two headphones respond identically to signal impulse and signal decay. I have heard 2 different K701s and 2 different RS1s that were very transiently dramatically different from one another. IE... they responded very differently to note attack and decay.

So what does this all mean?

1) Give them time. It may take time for your ear to acclimate to the difference in sound presentation, especially if the primary differences are related to transient response. Give it time, cycle through your best recordings and let your brain adjust to the difference in sound before making any conclusive decisions.

2) Source will matter. if your source material is poorly recorded to begin with, or lossy/low birtare the transient differences will be less apparent.

3) Your ears are incapable of detecting transient differences. IMHO, its not uncommon for different listeners to possess differing abilities to hear transient differences in sound. Its nothing to be alarmed at, its just a biological difference in each of our auditory nervous systems and how each of our brains interpret sound.

Good Luck!!

Nov 6, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by sum1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I much prefer the ksc75 over the D2000.
The treble and the vocal on the ksc75 sounded much better to me than the D2000. Maybe i just dont like this laid back/neutral sound sig.

Try Grado. It seems to be your way. Sell D2000 and you'll get enough funds for used SR225 + Todd flats.

May 22, 2009 at 9:44 AM Post #19 of 28
I might wait a little longer before you sell. I got the D2000s a few months ago, and while they were initially shockingly muddy--still decent, mind you, but not what I paid for--they've cleared up noticeably with a few hundred hours, and I've got a feeling they may still be changing.

That said, I can sympathize. I got the D2000 after a version of the K240, and immediately lamented the loss of soundstage, despite hearing they're supposed to be quite good in that regard for a closed headphone. Even more, though, I still don't hear the huge bass they're known for here. It's not thin, and better than the thin bass of the K240s, but it's not really strong, per se. I'm not sure...I've got a feeling I haven't found the proper amp for them yet...I've been using the iBasso D2 Boa, but maybe I need something more substantial, i.e. desktop. They're very sensitive to source quality, too...my old lower-bitrate mp3s are hell.

Not sure, really...I'm still somehow convinced that I'm going to figure out how to break that wall out of them and open up and fill out the sound. I've got the feeling it's there, but I just don't know how to bring it out yet. Advice on this front is welcome (not to hijack your thread).

May 22, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #21 of 28
d2000 not a neutral headphone
compare to a900, d2000 has more quantity bass and more forward mid, but it has narrow soundstage
both of them well an amped, but i am pretty sure d2000 better scale with quality source and amp, and it needs burn in more than a900

May 22, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #22 of 28
Well, what you experience is what happens when you usually listen to your music. If you start listening to your equipment you will realize that there are indeed some differences. Are they worth that extra-price for you? Maybe not. Then as you can only wear one headphone at a time it would be stupid to keep comparing it to the one you don't have on top of your head. You can also enjoy the music with cheaper equipment.

What i have learned to do is to listen to both, the music and the equipment (mostly the music), and you realize that going to the "high end" headphones is mostly spending money on little improvement. Well, if you have the money for it then go on, but don't take all the reviews and changes by granted.

If you buy an amplifier the same thing might happen to you. It also happened to me when i bought my LD I+, I did not hear any difference. Over time I like the way my system looks, it makes it easy for me to connect my headphone jack to my equipment and i like to see the glow of the tubes
smily_headphones1.gif

Now that you have bought those headphones and they are the better ones you have I recommend you just keep listening to them, trying to enjoy your music with them and at the end you will find out they are quite good compared to your other cheap phones.

Most of audio equipment is fancy looking, nothing really special.

May 22, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #23 of 28
I wasn't very impressed at all with my D2000's when I first got them. I thought my ATH-A700 sounded much better. My reaction was very similar to yours. I also I didn't own an amp other then the Fio E3.

The D2000 didn't start to pass the A700 until after about 100ish hours of burn in. After 200 hours and the purchase of a Travagans Red, my A700 aren't even in the same league.

Just mirroring what others are saying I guess - Give it time.

BTW, the D2000 does need an amp to shine IMO. Even a Fio E3/5 helps.

May 22, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #24 of 28
The D2000 also shows a great potential as there are mods to improve its sonic signature. For me, the greatest improvement came from the markl mod (cleaner midrange, tighter bass, improved headstage) followed by a recable.

May 22, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #25 of 28
Yeah, but it's pretty useless modding them if you don't think they're worth it in the first place..

May 22, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #26 of 28
Move on and try something else. Too many people on these boards defend their favorite headphones and tell people that "you need 10000 hours of burn in" or "your amp sucks" or "your ears aren't good enough to appreciate perfection."

I've personally owned over 30 headphones in the under $500 price range, and listened to another 20+ headphones that I haven't owned. There is no substitute for hearing a whole bunch of headphones if you want to find the ones you like best. 1 listen is worth 1000 reviews.

There is nothing wrong with you or your system. I would take KSC-75 over a whole lot of expensive headphones too.

May 22, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by slindeman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Move on and try something else. Too many people on these boards defend their favorite headphones and tell people that "you need 10000 hours of burn in" or "your amp sucks" or "your ears aren't good enough to appreciate perfection."

I've personally owned over 30 headphones in the under $500 price range, and listened to another 20+ headphones that I haven't owned. There is no substitute for hearing a whole bunch of headphones if you want to find the ones you like best. 1 listen is worth 1000 reviews.

There is nothing wrong with you or your system. I would take KSC-75 over a whole lot of expensive headphones too.

He already probably did so considering this thread is like 2 years old.
tongue.gif

May 22, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #28 of 28
Does anyone realize that the last post before this thread was revived is 1.5 years old???

Well, if its till relevant... my 2 cents is that if anyone feels that a more expensive headphone sounds about the same as a cheaper headphone then its pretty a win-win situation for that person. You would be able to sell the new one for most of your money back and you will have the pleasure of knowing that your "cheaper" headphones can sound just as great as a more expensive pair. You will save money and be able to appreciate your gear even more.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back