What the? Denon D2000 got the same sound signature as my cheapo philips
Sep 6, 2007 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

sum1

100+ Head-Fier
I just got my D2000 yesterday hoping for an upgrade from an A900 and my first impression is that it has the same sound signature as my cheapo Philips Hp250.

What the? how is this possible for a $260 headphone to have the same signature as a $10 phone. I know that the A900 is not neutral phone but if the sound signature of D2000 is what is called neutral or laid back then i'm afraid i might want to stay away from it.

Aagh this is my second hifi phone (A900 is my first) and so far i am not liking my journey to the headphone world.

Sep 6, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 28
Also you may have a horrible amp. My Denons actually sound good out of my PC but I'm guessing that certain amps would make them sound bad. You may want to get a cheap amp like a CMoy.

Sep 6, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #4 of 28
Yeah -- I'm also curious to know the source player and amp used, for this startling revelation!

Sep 6, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #5 of 28
I would be interested in knowing the source too, i found that my D2000 sound better out of a cheap external sound card than from my main tube or ss amplified right, they are a special type of headphones. Don't need much power and sometime sound better with less than more. That's why i sold them to one of my friend where they sound really good compared to my rig.

Sep 6, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 28
My first impression of the D2000 was kind of like yours. But don’t be fooled by first impressions. My advice is clasp them over a pillow and play low/med volume music for about 50 hours. I don’t know if burn in or the brain adjusting to the new sound; fact is I like them now and I pretty much level them with the E500 (sound wise). Also different source, different sound.

Sep 6, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #7 of 28
I am using my D2000 with Corda Move so it should not be a bad source.
I am not saying that there is simply no difference with the D2000 and the phillips is just that they have the same sound signature and it felt like big brother version of philips.

This sound signature is the one that confused me. I used to have the A900 that i recently sold since i did not like its nasal effect to help pay for the D2000 but i am starting to regret it since with the D2000 it seems like everything is subdued/veiled in comparison to the A900 which i think have more clear detail sound especially on the sound of instruments on music.

I'm not bashing up the D2000 but it is just not engaging or fun enough for me :frowning2:

Sep 6, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #8 of 28
burn in. the solution to all headphone related problems. give it some time. let them burn in a bit and let yourself get used to the sound, the sound of the D2000s, not your other phones and not what you think they should sound like. if they really don't impress you after that, then sell. but give them a fair shot first. day 1 impressions are usually very different from day 10, etc. i have seen many threads where people say my headphones sound like this
frown.gif
but then after some time they change their mind to this
smily_headphones1.gif
maybe that will happen with you as well. won't know until they give them a fair chance though.

Sep 7, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by sum1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using my D2000 with Corda Move so it should not be a bad source.
I am not saying that there is simply no difference with the D2000 and the phillips is just that they have the same sound signature and it felt like big brother version of philips.

This sound signature is the one that confused me. I used to have the A900 that i recently sold since i did not like its nasal effect to help pay for the D2000 but i am starting to regret it since with the D2000 it seems like everything is subdued/veiled in comparison to the A900 which i think have more clear detail sound especially on the sound of instruments on music.

I'm not bashing up the D2000 but it is just not engaging or fun enough for me :frowning2:

Well, nothing is really subdued. It is a fairly neutral headphone but with emphasis on the bass. Some people prefer more midrange, and if you like a more forward midrange, I understand what you are saying. If you use an equalizer, bring up the mids by only 1 to 2 db and you will be happy. I happen to prefer a slightly recessed midrange, so I like the cans. Although, I don't have the D2000, I have the D5000. If anything, the D2000 have a more accurate response. The D5000 have a more natural response.

They are a bassy headphone to some, so maybe that is what is making them appear to sound veiled. I think most headphones don't have enough bass to sound natural. Most sound anemic. Headphones should recreate the sound you would hear in a live setting, and most live concerts have tons of bass that you can feel. In this regard, the D2000 and D5000 excel where other cans fall short.

If you still don't like them after awhile, put them up for sale. Someone will snatch them up from you right away.

Sep 7, 2007 at 9:16 AM Post #10 of 28
I sometimes have that feeling. The "hey, this cheap can sounds kinda good" feeling, but It usually passes the next day and I suddenly realise how muddy it actually sounds. This usually happens to me with the jvc ha-g101. I'm sure you're just having an off day. In the end I know that I prefer my HD580 over any cheap cans

Sep 10, 2007 at 9:11 AM Post #11 of 28
Hmm.. i have about 30 hours burn in on this thing and it still doesnt sound good to me. I much prefer the ksc75 over the D2000.
The treble and the vocal on the ksc75 sounded much better to me than the D2000. Maybe i just dont like this laid back/neutral sound sig.

Aggh this subdued vocal/mid is what made me sell my A900. I guess my journey to find the right can for me will still continue. Its funny though since my current fave can out of the A900,ksc75 and D2000 turns out to be the KSC75 which is the cheapest of them all.

Sep 10, 2007 at 9:22 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by sum1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm.. i have about 30 hours burn in on this thing and it still doesnt sound good to me. I much prefer the ksc75 over the D2000.
The treble and the vocal on the ksc75 sounded much better to me than the D2000. Maybe i just dont like this laid back/neutral sound sig.

Aggh this subdued vocal/mid is what made me sell my A900. I guess my journey to find the right can for me will still continue. Its funny though since my current fave can out of the A900,ksc75 and D2000 turns out to be the KSC75 which is the cheapest of them all.

Wow, well then maybe you just prefer cheapo sound. What is your source player, your amp, etc? What kind of files are you using, i.e. mp3 (what bitrate), lossless?

If it turns out that way, at least you won't go broke on the hobby. Personally, I can't even begin to imagine how you could put the D2000 below par with the KSC75.
confused.gif
I have the D5000 and it is easily 10 times better than my $200 Sony MDR-7509HD.

Oh well, to each his own I guess. Sorry to hear your frustration, though.

Edit: When I use my Go-Vibe V5 (LM6171 ops) the sound is laid back. When I use my Go-Vibe V6 (AD8620/8610 ops) the sound is much more forward. Perhaps you need an amp that provides that forward sound you are looking for.

Sep 10, 2007 at 10:24 AM Post #13 of 28
KSC75 is good but i want something better but for some reason the A900 and D2000 doesnt seem to satisfy me which confuses me since i thought money doesnt lie and going higher up would be better.

I am using the Corda move as my DAC and Amp. My file is mainly MP3 ~192 VBR as i found them quite transparent to the CD sound.

To me the D2000 sounded like a SONY Home theater sound that i've demoed at a sony store (which is have a subdued/veiled mids) and it is not like a Hifi speaker sound that have a rich vocal/mid sound. I am hoping with more burn in the D2000 mids will come out .

Sep 10, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #15 of 28
Nothing wrong at all with KSC75s and that's all some people need, indeed! Just as a Sony Diskman is the perfect CDP and anything more is a waste 'cause there really is very little difference, to some people, apparently... You just saved a ton of money for your insurance
wink.gif

Edit: You might just try a Sony Diskman (returnable here in the U.S.), and one CD (Tell us what that CD music would be) of choice, testing the better resolution and other sonic details of the D2000 vs your favorite phones. For these potential improvements of resolution and subtle details which the D2000s are capable of certainly the material and its recording must be providing that information. Some generes moreso than others, do contain these details and certainly higher bit rates are better at transferring whatever data that there is...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back