What switchbox or splitter for running two headamps from line-out?
Jun 10, 2018 at 11:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

gimmeheadroom

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

I have some of the t-adapters but they don't seem too secure. What are people using to run two or more headamps from one line-out?

Thanks.

Jun 10, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #2 of 12
I've used one of these for a couple of years, now:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Input-4-...CH-Switcher-/173318943317?hash=item285a9d3255

It's a bit difficult figuring it out at first. The problem is that it switches in any combination, any time. Once you get used to it, though, it does just fine. There are no interfering resistors or capacitors, meaning you should only use it for one source/one output probably. Otherwise, you can get capacitive leakage across the switch contacts. It's cheap, looks halfway decent, and does the job.

Note that it says "headphone switcher," but it can be used for any source/output as a switchbox.

Jun 10, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #3 of 12
I use this to run two amps simultaneously from a single DAC:

[Wv-rcato2/rcakite-05] RCA Stereo Plug Male to Dual RCA Stereo Plug Male 1 Input 2 Output Stereo Audio Splitter Cable / Gold Plated Plug / 4n OFC Pure Copper Wire - 1.5ft (50cm) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013JO0CGU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0CuhBbST4QXPF

It's a bit on the pricey side and you could easily achieve the same thing through a combination of cables and adapters, but I have space constraints so this works best for my use case. Could also build one yourself if you are so inclined.

As for sound, I don't hear a difference at all when splitting the signal in such a way. I use the setup to listen to music with my wife on two different headphones. also occasionally use it for A/B testing but my gear is definitely low to mid-fi and I don't have golden ears, so YMMV.

Jun 10, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #4 of 12
@tomb @smallcaps thanks guys. I would prefer a switchbox with RCA inputs and outputs rather than TRS like in that example. That cable would definitely work.

I have a few pairs of something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Valab-Gold...003291?hash=item3b0fe9125b:g:RXwAAOSwGBhaYNGt

I didn't buy from that guy, and what I have is not identical. Just similar, to give you an idea. What I don't like about these is that the square section is wide, the plug is heavy so it rotates, and I think it would be likely the housings would bang together. I guess that means nothing because hopefully the case is just common ground, but I don't get a good feeling.

Jun 10, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #6 of 12
I've seen these mentioned on the forums, but have no idea how well they work. I currently use similar splitters that you posted but may consider looking into one of these at some point, or something similar. You could also use the Schiit SYS in reverse.

http://www.mfspdesigns.com/index.php/en/all-products/switch-box

Hey thank you very much! These look great. But reading the fine print on the About page "All sales final. No return, exchange or refund." Oh well, I'll keep looking.

Jul 9, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #7 of 12
@gimmeheadroom still looking? I just picked up one of these from Amazon:

61Yg6osbJfL._SL1200_.jpg

Jul 9, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #8 of 12
@gimmeheadroom still looking? I just picked up one of these from Amazon:

Thanks, I decided to play cable jockey instead after a friend pointed out it's a good idea to limit devices in the signal path as much as possible. My headphone amps are on the top shelf of my cabinet and unobstructed, so it's easy to do.

That looks like quite a gadget though!

Jul 9, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #9 of 12
I just use a Schiit SYS. It's a passive device so you can use it to switch 2 DACs into a single amp or one DAC into two amps. $50 but it's build well and I've never had a problem with it in the years I've been using it. I helps a TON when you're reviewing an amp or DAC and want to be able to just press a switch to A/B different devices.

Jul 9, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #10 of 12
Thanks

Jul 10, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #11 of 12
I have some of the t-adapters but they don't seem too secure. What are people using to run two or more headamps from one line-out?

Schiit Sys. It's a passive preamp/source switcher so ignore the labels other than making sure you're consistent (ie run them reversed - both amps on the inputs, source on the output), then set the volume control to max.

Jul 10, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #12 of 12
Schiit Sys for sure I use it to run 4 amps from my Schiit Yggdrasil three at a time and switch to the fourth one with no problem with any sound artifacts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back