What stranded cable to use for flexible interconnect?
Oct 20, 2001 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

analog

New Head-Fier
I need to make an interconnect from 3.5mm to dual RCA that will withstand frequent handling i.e. winding/unwinding. It will be used on a portable device.

I need recommendations on what stranded cable to use for good audio quality, durability and flexibility... in that order of priority.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

Oct 21, 2001 at 4:26 AM Post #2 of 3
Rather than making one yourself,you may want to buy the cable already made,like the one from Acoustic Research(3.5mm jack to dual RCA jacks). I got it at Best Buy for $11.99 (3ft). It's very flexible and durable with good connectors.

Oct 21, 2001 at 4:58 AM Post #3 of 3
Take a look at www.homegrownaudio.com

Might give you ideas... Try the litz braid using 3 pairs of Cat5 cable, 6 strands total (I have NO idea if that would work), it would seem flexible and appropriate... 2 of the twisted pairs would be ground and 1 would carry the signal...

Hmm.. let me get my math straight...

Minijack (use right angled)-> 2 sets of different cables...

Each cable would have 3 pairs of twisted pair Cat5, one pair is signal carrying, two are ground.

That would mean 12 strands of copper total... yeah...

You can also get stranded Cat5 and solid Cat5, solid is easier to work with but stranded is more flexible (in the networking sense), I know there is a difference in sound but not sure what is what...

There is some Belden type of cable that should be used, not sure which... look for the Jon Risch designs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back