What specs do I look for in a surge protector?
Aug 24, 2007 at 5:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Audio Jester

1000+ Head-Fier
I live in Australia, so many of the power options suggested on these forums I cannot use.

So, what specifications am I looking for in a surge protection board? Are there things I should avoid?
I was hoping to use this also for my PC, but it is primarily for my audio stuff so if using the same board for PC is not a good thing then please enlighten me.

Thanks.

Aug 24, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #3 of 10
All I can suggest is look for one with a warning indicator to show when it has failed. Don't be fooled by insurance offerings either - most companies make it next to impossible to make a claim. Belkin are particularly bad.

Other than that, there seems to be no way to really make any kind of informed choice. Some say MOVs are useless, but I have never seen a single proper scientific test of surge protectors so who really knows?

I'm surprised someone like Which? has not does a serious test of surge protectors.

Aug 24, 2007 at 8:59 AM Post #5 of 10
Brickwall or zerosurge are names of surgers that anyone should check out. Unlimited joules or use itself up with surges.--no MOVs in other words. Price range from low 100s for 7.5 amp versions to up to 300$ for a 20 amp version.

Aug 24, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #7 of 10
I've always wondered too.. unfortunately there aren't many brands that make boards with Australian plugs =\

The best compromise I can think of is these universal power boards that COEM Australia sells: http://coemaudio.com.au/products.php?product_id=37

They're conditioners I think, and you can use any power cable on them... they're running a special deal on them at the moment too

Aug 26, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #9 of 10
Is there anything like the Brick-Wall or Zero Surge for the UK or European markets? If they are really that brilliant, surely someone must be selling them here.

I did write to Zero Surge about it, and they apparently do make a 230V version, but it has European power connectors rather than universal or British ones. It was also amazingly expensive. Don't you have house insurance in the US? In the UK, if something is killed by a power surge you can usually claim on the insurance, so unless it happens regularly it's not really worth spending a huge amount on surge protection, just a bit on a basic conditioner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back