What speakers do you guys use with your CPU?
Jul 5, 2005 at 8:58 AM Post #31 of 61
NHT Super Zeroes all around with a Velodyne HGS-10 Sub for my HTPC.

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 for my other PC. (but I rarely use it, since my Headphone Rig is hooked up to that computer.)
wink.gif

-Ed

Jul 6, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #32 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterix
Actually the manufacturer recommends placing them directly on the ground to improve the bass.

You know that's not true, Omega recommends Skylan stands and shows them on Skylan stands in every photo on the website. We even discussed this before, you were about to purchase a pair of Skylans.

Jul 6, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #33 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by bln
You know that's not true, Omega recommends Skylan stands and shows them on Skylan stands in every photo on the website. We even discussed this before, you were about to purchase a pair of Skylans.

Perhaps this is true, but according to Noel at Skylan Louis has lately been experimenting with placing the speakers on the ground at shows and has been getting good results, especially in improving the bass response.

Noel discussed with me at length the importance of keeping them closer to the ground to help the bass, unless you are using a subwoofer.

Jul 6, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #34 of 61
I have Mirage SM-1 floorstanders in the front, old JVC bookshelfs in the back. Driving them is a big Kenwood reciever. No need for a center channel or a sub.

Edit - Nice monitor Asterix. I have one of them also.

Jul 6, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #35 of 61
speakas2.jpg

I don't have anything to compare them to (other than my headphones), but they sound pretty darn good to me! And they're flat speakers, so they're sexy.
biggrin.gif
They're hooked up to an RCA-out of my Audiophile Firewire (via a 7' Belkin RCA-mini cable).

Jul 6, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #36 of 61
I know they don't get much respect, but for the $199 I paid for them, I love my Cambridge Soundworks M80s. Tested around in the price, and I think they're swell. Very detailed and nice bass response. With their size, calling them 'bookshelf speakers' is a bit of a misnomer though. Xitel or Audiophile USB to old Pioneer receiver.

k1m80hpr.jpg

Jul 7, 2005 at 6:09 AM Post #38 of 61
I use to have a set of Logitech Z-640, but the more and more I listened to it the less I liked it. The bass was either way to loud and bloated, or non-existant. Also the whole home theater, 5.1 thing was not really my cup of tea. I usaully just listen to music so I had been looking around to get a set of loudspeakers. I am now a proud owner of a pair of Sansui S930's

Turns out my neighbor wanted to get rid of her entire stereo. She was just going to sell it for next to nothing at a yard sale but she let me have the whole thing for free. It turns out the speakers were like 20-30 years old. I have heard conflicting things online as to when the Sansui S930's were produceded. The reciver she had was a cheap old Sony, but it is powerful enough to drive these massive speakers. I think each of them weights about 40lbs

So I get me free stereo home and I was blown away how good these old speakers sounded. The 12" woofers are suprisingly bassy. These speakers are bassy enough that I don't even need a sub to go with it. The highs can be a bit bright if I really crank it, but I am still amazed at how good they sound.

Now I just wish I had a better amplifier to drive them, but sadly I am a poor college student so sadly anything good for actual speakers is just way to expensive

Jul 7, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #39 of 61
IMG_0532.JPG

IMG_0533.JPG

Some small speakers for the bedroom.

Jul 7, 2005 at 8:18 AM Post #40 of 61
tofu I love La Scalas. My Future system will be a Belle for the center, with 6 La Scalas al the way around and a couple of sono tubes in the corner. Needless to say I love Klipsch.

My 2 PC speaker systems are

System 1

Klipsch Reference Series RSX-5 (Mains)
Klipsch Reference Series RSX-5 (Surrounds)
Klipsch Reference Series RCX-4 (Center)
Paradigm PW-2200 v.2 (Sub)

download.asp

System 2

Klipsch Reference Series RF-3 (Mains)
Klipsch Reference Series RS-3 (Surrounds)
Klipsch Reference Series RC-3 (Center)
Klipsch Reference Series RSX-4 (Rear Center)
SVS 16-46PC (Sub)

download.asp

You can see the PC in this pic on the top shelf in the rack with the blue vfd display. Just incase someone says these speakers are not used with a PC.

download.asp

Jul 7, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #42 of 61
Wow, a lot of these speaker setups are totally ghetto, some very good speakers, but how many of us actually have a PC / speaker setup that isn't in a cramped little room other than myself?

I guess it is to be expected on a headphone forum
600smile.gif

Jul 7, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #43 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmo
Wow, a lot of these speaker setups are totally ghetto, some very good speakers, but how many of us actually have a PC / speaker setup that isn't in a cramped little room other than myself?

I guess it is to be expected on a headphone forum
600smile.gif

What's wrong with listening a small area? My room is about 15 ft x 12 ft or something and my little speakers are perfect for the size. It's a very intimate listening experience and I would rather avoid more power/larger speakers/larger room I think.

Jul 7, 2005 at 11:14 PM Post #44 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
Ditto, minus the stands (see pic).

speakers2.jpg

That is just plain wicked looking.

Jul 7, 2005 at 11:29 PM Post #45 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterix
What's wrong with listening a small area? My room is about 15 ft x 12 ft or something and my little speakers are perfect for the size. It's a very intimate listening experience and I would rather avoid more power/larger speakers/larger room I think.

Hehe, well, 12x15 is plenty of room, but by ghetto, in your reference, I would mean like the staples paper for stands, etc. Its creative, if it sounds good, go for it right?

Some people, who have like klipsch 5.1 speakers positioned all in front of them, or speakers that arn't positioned evenly etc spaced out properly, just stuck in whatever nook or cranny is convienient.

Shrug, room acoustics mean so much, its pointless to have good speakers if you don't have them setup right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back