What sound card for DAC1(non usb)?
Jun 26, 2008 at 10:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

afternoon025

100+ Head-Fier
HI you guys,
i'm waiting my benchmark dac1 coming.
biggrin.gif

plan to use with cd platine but as i'm sitting before my computer more than cd player,so i think should get a usb sound card for him.
my portable pc is IBM T60,has only usb port,no optique,no coaxial.
what should i buy?
anyone has kinda experience?
many thx

Jun 27, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #2 of 19
Since you have a laptop, have you considered a Squeezebox or Airport Express to use even when your computer is elsewhere in the house?

Jun 27, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since you have a laptop, have you considered a Squeezebox or Airport Express to use even when your computer is elsewhere in the house?

sorry,i'm a numb in PC-hifi
frown.gif
what's that exactely?wireless?
i may just looking a sound card who can well transform USB to COAX. or OPTIQUE.exsit this kinda thing?

Jun 27, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #5 of 19
Jun 28, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by afternoon025 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so how a 0404usb+dac1 sounds different from dac1 usb?

Yes and no. Depends on how you feel about digital transport quality and USB audio quality.
In the first setup, you're using the 0404 to get digital audio data through USB into the form of digital coaxial, and then sending that to the DAC1 to convert to analog. In the second setup, the DAC1 is pulling digital data off USB and converting that to analog.
In the end, both use the DAC1 as the DAC and I wouldn't expect any significant difference in quality (disregarding sample rates).

Jun 28, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by latershow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are u saying the digital out from a laptop is equivalent to the digital out of a emu 0404 connected to laptop?

i think what FUNGI means is digital out from "laptop=>usb part(sorry dont know what it calls
tongue.gif
) of dac1usb"and "laptop=>emu0404"

Jun 29, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by latershow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are u saying the digital out from a laptop is equivalent to the digital out of a emu 0404 connected to laptop?

In theory, if they are both bit perfect and the same sample rate then yes. I know there are people of the opinion that clock/jitter etc make all the difference and I'm not able to deny that (or confirm it); just saying that for now it shouldn't be an issue.
And yes, my original post's meaning is as afternoon025 says.

Jun 30, 2008 at 8:33 AM Post #14 of 19
Hi,

I would recommend you return the DAC-1 and get a DAC-1 USB. Benchmark will normally let you do this within 30 days.

You can switch the input on the front panel and cut out additional links in the chain which can lead to degradation in sound quality. Basically what you are contemplating is buying an external USB converter and connecting this to your Benchmark. Whatever you buy for this, you will be paying for an additional DAC which in your system would be redundant.

Look for the thread on the USB version which although very long will answer all your questions.

Cheers

John

Jun 30, 2008 at 11:31 AM Post #15 of 19
I would recommend NOT to buy the USB version and buy the regular DAC1. Use a proper ASIO soundcard and the quality is better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back