What sort of DAP should I be looking for?
Aug 22, 2013 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dnullify

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a quick rundown on what level DAP i'm looking for. I've always owned an iDevice, and frankly haven't given sources much thought at all. I've come to realize that my source/material might be a pretty big weak point in my gear - that it might make little sense plugging expensive IEMs into my iphone with 320mpbs/AAC lossless. Currently my source is my iPhone 4, although i have a Nano 4, nano 5, and an ipod touch (3rd i think).

I'm looking for a DAP that does moderately better than that. I'm going to start ripping new albums and re-ripping my old favorites into lossless just for quality listening as i'll likely continue using my phone as my portable source.

So i guess the question is, what DAP would be a noticeable sound quality, as far as it's technical capabilities? Do I need a DAP that does 24bit/192 like the x3 or dx50?

I believe I would prefer something with a line level out, as I'd prefer to be able to use my amp without double-amping.

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:
I'm looking for a quick rundown on what level DAP i'm looking for. I've always owned an iDevice, and frankly haven't given sources much thought at all. I've come to realize that my source/material might be a pretty big weak point in my gear - that it might make little sense plugging expensive IEMs into my iphone with 320mpbs/AAC lossless. Currently my source is my iPhone 4, although i have a Nano 4, nano 5, and an ipod touch (3rd i think).

I'm looking for a DAP that does moderately better than that. I'm going to start ripping new albums and re-ripping my old favorites into lossless just for quality listening as i'll likely continue using my phone as my portable source.

So i guess the question is, what DAP would be a noticeable sound quality, as far as it's technical capabilities? Do I need a DAP that does 24bit/192 like the x3 or dx50?

I believe I would prefer something with a line level out, as I'd prefer to be able to use my amp without double-amping.

Why not try something like the CLAS, that way you dont have to ditch your idevice.  There are a decent # of idevice dac/amps now that you should be able to research with relative ease.

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 12
I've been looking into that, and I can't find any that are an improvement for less than $250. They're all $500 or so, and it seems cheaper to just buy a decent player and call it a day.

I shouldn't need anything that supports higher than a 16bit resolution if I'm getting my music off CDs correct?

Aug 22, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
I've been looking into that, and I can't find any that are an improvement for less than $250. They're all $500 or so, and it seems cheaper to just buy a decent player and call it a day.

I shouldn't need anything that supports higher than a 16bit resolution if I'm getting my music off CDs correct?

Correct. If you're looking in the 250 range the fiio x3 is probably something like what you're looking for. 

The real market for the X3 however is going to be the enthusiasts still sticking to their Ipods/Iphones/Smartphones as they can’t justify spending $300 and up for the currently available HiFi DAPs or i-Device DACs. That segment should be huge and at the price that the X3 is being sold, there shouldn’t be any question over “will there be any difference if I upgrade from my Ipod” as so far the impressions I’ve gathered indicate that the improvements are fairly obvious to the average enthusiasts. 

http://www.headfonia.com/first-impression-fiio-x3-dap/2/

Aug 23, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #5 of 12
Either that or the dx50. Are there any others in in this category?

Would either be noticeably better than an iPod playing lossless?

What are the benefits of having a 24/192 DAP if CDs are at 16/44.1?

Aug 23, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnullify /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm looking for a quick rundown on what level DAP i'm looking for. I've always owned an iDevice, and frankly haven't given sources much thought at all. I've come to realize that my source/material might be a pretty big weak point in my gear - that it might make little sense plugging expensive IEMs into my iPhone with 320mpbs/AAC lossless. Currently my source is my iPhone 4, although i have a Nano 4, Nano 5, and an iPod touch (3rd i think).
So i guess the question is, what DAP would be a noticeable sound quality, as far as it's technical capabilities? Do I need a DAP that does 24bit/192 like the X3 or DX50?

I would say to sell off the Nano 4/5 and IPod and buy the Fiio X3 or iBasso DX50
You should not need to use an add-on headphone amplifier with the X3 or DX50.
Burn all your Audio CDs to FLAC.
You say your just going to use your audio CDs as a source, but I'm guess sometime in the future you going to get some 24-Bit/96Khz audio files.
I was listen to Pink Floyd in 24-Bit/96khz with a AK120 being demoed at the California Audio Show.
Pink Floyd sounded really really nice, best Pink Floyd I've ever listened to.

Aug 23, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #10 of 12
I guess there is always that possibility.

From a technical standpoint why would the dx50 playing 16/44.1 (not its max) loss-less sound better than an ipod nano 7g playing 16/44.1 loss-less(i believe it's max)?
Other than it's scalability to play whatever 24/96Khz tracks i can get my hands on the future, what advantage does either x3 or DX50 (are these mid-level?) have over the f-series or pods? I'm sure the amp section of the iBasso will be pretty good, and from what i can tell the x3 isn't a slouch in power and has value quality.

Aug 23, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
From a technical standpoint why would the DX50 playing 16/44.1 (not its max) loss-less sound better than an iPod nano 7g playing 16/44.1 loss-less(I believe it's max)?
Other than it's scalability to play whatever 24/96Khz tracks I can get my hands on the future, what advantage does either X3 or DX50 (are these mid-level?) have over the f-series or pods? I'm sure the amp section of the iBasso will be pretty good, and from what i can tell the X3 isn't a slouch in power and has value quality.

One reason I would take a non-Apple product/device is I like to support the "smaller" guy.
I'm of the opinion that Apple makes good products, but when you buy Apple stuff, part of the price your paying is for the "Apple" name.
Where as Fiio & iBasso need to be able to offer an equal (or a better device) for less cash to be able to sell.
So I usually assume that companies like Fiio & ibasso are going to offer better "Bang for the Buck".
For one thing I would assume the WD8740 DAC chip used in the X3 & DX50 is going to be a better DAC, then any Apple product, in the same price range.

Aug 23, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #12 of 12
Hmm, i guess the X3 and DX50 would have the upper hand dac-wise. I suppose i'd have to wait for the reviews to roll in on the DX50 to see how it compares to other players; namely the X3, HM602, iPod nano, and Sony F series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back