What songs do you use to test a new IEM?
Dec 9, 2009 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

AudiA4

New Head-Fier
I am just concerned with soft music like classical or new age. It mean I do not care about rock and pop music. My test songs are as followed:
1. Hotel California (The Eagles)
2. The four season - Winter (Vivaldi)
3. Canon in D (Pachelbel, string version)
4. O sole mio (Pavarotti)
5. Walking in the air (Celtic Woman)
What about yours and what IEM are you using to listen to that kind of music? I'm using a SoundMagic PL12 and going to buy a PL50.
Any ideas?

Dec 9, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #2 of 32
Songs you are very familiar with; ones you have an expected sound stage for; ones you have an expected volume level for each instrument/vocal piece; a mix of a very simple songs (i.e. ones with a lot of clarity) and busy songs .....

I'll test with:
Something in the way she moves - James Taylor
She's on fire - Train
Time - Sarah McLachlan
Fruits of my labor - Lucinda Williams

-Pony

Dec 9, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #4 of 32
Great choice with Kings of Convenience.

I always try a few remastered Simon & Garfunkel songs
Crazy by Gnarls Barkley
Hallelujah by Rufus Wainwright
My Immortal by Evanescence
Any piece by Bond or Moby

Dec 9, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 32
I usually just sit there for a few hours going through all the songs on my dap lol.
But Arizona by Kings Of Leon is always a must

Dec 9, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 32
During recent meets, I usually go with really complex multi-layered songs so I can gauge the amount of detail that the IEM's are capable of (judging them against my gold standard of detail, the Grado SR325is).

Three of my favorites are "At The Left Hand Ov God" by Behemoth, "Metropolis - Part 1" by Dream Theater and "Al Di's Dream Theme" by Al Di Meola.
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #7 of 32
I've made a reference CD for myself, songs that do a particular thing so well that they penalize inferior quality:

Chant (Making of Cyborg), Ghost in the Shell Soundtrack--loud treble AND loud bass; most average phones distort something.

Vaughan Williams, Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis, Boughton and the English String Orchestra--big string piece.

Fantasy, Earth, Wind and Fire--male vocals, including falsetto.

Is It A Crime, Sade--small instrumental ensemble, female vocals from a breathy performer

Vaughan Williams, Sym. No. 2, Previn & the LSO--large instrumental ensemble.

Lord, Save Thy People, Fennell and the Dallas Winds--pipe organ piece with some very low tones. Separates true bass extension from the bloated midbass some phones favor.

Anything with Shaw and the Atlanta Symphony--a conductor who believed in a round, forward sound for the full choir.

I prefer acoustic and vocal music to judge quality since I find it much easier to detect inaccurate vocal or instrumental performances than I can electronic tones.

Dec 9, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #10 of 32
I typically use:

- Sirens of the Sea, Oceanlab
- Converting Vegetarians, Infected Mushroom
- Anniversary Collection, Jethro Tull
- Bellatrix, Rene Gruss

And then whatever comes up on shuffle...

Dec 9, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #12 of 32
All of them.

Dec 9, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #13 of 32
The Jerky Boys: Frank Rizzo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back