What song do you use for impressing the newbies?
May 25, 2010 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Sonic 748i

VoLTaG3 re-registered
Say a friend or family member wants to see why you spend so much on your audio equipment wants a listen from your setup. What songs first pops up in your mind that really shows off the strengths of your setup?
smile.gif

May 25, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #2 of 24
Myself, I'd have them listen to whatever they want with my setup. The music I listen to doesn't appeal to many people around here. :)

May 25, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soaa-  
" Myself, I'd have them listen to whatever they want with my setup. The music I listen to doesn't appeal to many people around here. :)"

That pretty much sums up what I was going to say. If they listen to their favorite song they will be more likely hear the difference.

May 25, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 24

Quote:
Quote:
" Myself, I'd have them listen to whatever they want with my setup. The music I listen to doesn't appeal to many people around here. :)"

That pretty much sums up what I was going to say. If they listen to their favorite song they will be more likely hear the difference.

True.

May 25, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #5 of 24
anything off the newly remastered "beatles for sale" album.
the soundstage on that record, the stereo separation, the clarity, vocal realism.
best of the best...
even my wife said, "wow."

May 25, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #6 of 24
I'm with the folks that suggest that you have the said "newbies" pick their own song.

One can't believe if there's a possibility that your song sounds great on all rigs, you must make them into believers by using their own music as weapons!

Then, while they're lost in the beautiful maelstrom of melodic sound and emotion... You hit them over the head and harvest their organs to fuel your headphone addiction.

May 26, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #9 of 24
Jazz. HF2 doesn't do orchestral well, but it does great placement across a jazz stage. One of the reference tracks would probably be Time Out by Brubeck. There's a breathiness to the saxophone that sounds great. It's really accentuated in the recording so it shows up on even low-end headphones, but they won't know that 
smile.gif

May 26, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #10 of 24

Quote:
Quote:

Yup, totally agree with this. 

May 26, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #11 of 24
yeah, I have them listen to something they know well that is well recorded if possible.  My friend was checking out my M50 and Sextetts yesterday and he was listening to "School of Seven Bells".  He didn't seem too impressed and I figured he just didn't really have the ear for it.  But then I listened to the same song after he left, and I wasn't that impressed either.  Recording is beautiful, but has a lot of fuzz as an affect, so it was hard to really tell anything from it. 

Next time he comes over, he's going to listen to Laura Veirs.  I think that is some of the best headphone music I've heard.  Not even sure why.

May 26, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:
yeah, I have them listen to something they know well that is well recorded if possible.  My friend was checking out my M50 and Sextetts yesterday and he was listening to "School of Seven Bells".  He didn't seem too impressed and I figured he just didn't really have the ear for it.  But then I listened to the same song after he left, and I wasn't that impressed either.  Recording is beautiful, but has a lot of fuzz as an affect, so it was hard to really tell anything from it. 

Next time he comes over, he's going to listen to Laura Veirs.  I think that is some of the best headphone music I've heard.  Not even sure why.

That is totally spot on. Some tracks won't impress no matter what you do to it. I'll expand when I get back, gotta run. 

May 26, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #14 of 24
I've actually had someone ask me to let them listen to my headphones, "so they can see what I'm wasting all this money on."

My answer: I slapped them across the face and told him "If you need me to explain to you why my godly headphones are so godly, then you're not worthy."

He then followed up with "ow! No seriosuly, I want to know."

So I slapped him again and walked away.

I buy my headphones to please myself, and not others.

True story. :)

May 26, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #15 of 24

Quote:
I've actually had someone ask me to let them listen to my headphones, "so they can see what I'm wasting all this money on."

My answer: I slapped them across the face and told him "If you need me to explain to you why my godly headphones are so godly, then you're not worthy."

He then followed up with "ow! No seriosuly, I want to know."

So I slapped him again and walked away.

I buy my headphones to make please myself, and not others.

True story. :)

LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back