What single dac/amp can beat my setup?
Sep 1, 2009 at 7:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

myk7000

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I haven't had much time and money to try out amazing single unit desktop dac/amp solutions and so I was curious about peoples' opinions.

My current setup right now (which I like very much) is the Pico DAC only feeding into my Gilmore Lite with gold couplers.

I just wanted to know what dac/amp combos (in one box) can beat this system? I personally think the Pico DAC is quite a great dac, disregarding size and value. Additionally, I have heard many amps but the Gilmore Lite keeps surprising me with its neutrality, its dynamic sound, and its size
smily_headphones1.gif

Some that come into mind might be the Grace m902, Benchmark USB1, Lavry DA11. Do these combos beat out my setup right now? I hear that the benchmark and lavry are great sources but as amps they are merely okay, etc.

Any opinions are welcome, thanks!

Sep 1, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #4 of 8
Why does it have to be one box?

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by myk7000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... I hear that the benchmark and lavry are great sources but as amps they are merely okay, etc.

I read this occasionally about the DA11 as well but don't understand why. If you want an amp that will color the sound then definitely look elsewhere. If you want to hear transparent sound with plenty of power to drive most headphones (I use HD800's) then I think the DA11's internal headphone amp fits the bill.

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 8
I guess one could theoretically stuff a Buffalo32 and Beta22 in a big box? There's also the Audio-Technica DAC/amps, but I'm not sure if those are better. None of the one-box products appeal to me at all, though.

Sep 4, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #8 of 8
I've only had it for about 45 minutes, but I am totally in love with my Benchmark, right out of the box. It's just ... right. No drama, just music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back