What Shure headset should i choose? srh940 vs. srh840 vs. srh440
Jan 4, 2013 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Zubaru

New Head-Fier
Hello there, i am quite new to head-fi tho i have browsed head-fi alot.
anyway, i really want a quality headset, and the best headsets i have had have been gaming headset which i thought was some okay one's(razer lycosa had good sound i think), so my friend has a Shure headset and i also want one of them, because they seem to be high quality and with great sound, i just can't decide :p
i want a headset which have a detachable cable so i can buy a new one in case it breaks, that's how all my other headsets broke, i also really want crystal clear audio, where you hear all the details clearly so it comes out impressively, and i don't really care that much for bass, but sometimes it like it, so bass is a bonus.
one little thing i'm scared about is the little cable that's free where you adjust the headset on the 840/440's since i can't replace them, and heard the 840's was a little uncomfortable, that's a problem since i'll be using them for long gaming session's too. also i want them closed so i can use them in public/shool.

so which one should i take, i know i want a Shure headset, just not which one...
Shure%20SRH440%20Combined.jpg
shure_srh840.jpg
1000x500px-LL-0c7912f0_prod_img_srh940_xl.jpg

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #2 of 14
I cant really comment on the 940 or the 440 for that matter but I love the 840s.  I'm not sure why all the comments about them being uncomfortable because I think they are super comfortable but that could just be the size of my head.  Everyone's is different so comfort is very subjective.  I actually prefer the pleather pads to the velour as they aren't itchy to me anyway and from what I have read actually make the phones a little more bassier.  So 1 vote for the 840s! :)

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:
I cant really comment on the 940 or the 440 for that matter but I love the 840s.  I'm not sure why all the comments about them being uncomfortable because I think they are super comfortable but that could just be the size of my head.  Everyone's is different so comfort is very subjective.  I actually prefer the pleather pads to the velour as they aren't itchy to me anyway and from what I have read actually make the phones a little more bassier.  So 1 vote for the 840s! :)

thanks, doesn't really matter with the pads that much since you can buy different one's, have you had any problems with the little cable's at the place you adjust?

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 14
I  didn't hear the srh840, but it seems the safest best: better built quality & mid bass emphasis that everyone prefer.
I  noticed once a report of someone  that broke his srh840 , though.
Otherwise I  love my srh940, almost as much as my hd800 (ok , the hd800 are "superior", not the point). But I've modded them by increasing depth of ear pads (using rope, better bass , and overall clarity).
The srh940 has built quality issues (cracks on headband, stopped for me with super glue + scotch).
The srh440 seems also a great headphone for budget from what I've heard too .

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #6 of 14
I have the 440's with the 840 pads and they are very good headphones, especially when listening to audiobooks and music that is more symphonic. You said your not looking for "that" much bass, those would be great. But I heard the 840's are way more amazing than the 440's..so get those if your budget allows it. Only problem I have with the 440's is they creak... IT DRIVES YOU INSANE after a while...the slightest movement and the plastic creaks... but you can fix it with some gun lubricant, or something like vasaline.

Jan 4, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #8 of 14
I like the 840 for portability, durability and isolation
The sound is good, but not great. Forgiving = soft and a bit warm.
I added a straight cable and 940 velour pads (both come included with the 940) so the end price is similar with the extra pads and cables.

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #12 of 14
+1 on the SRH 840. For the price, you won't find a better can, or at least i haven't...I love that shure sound, that subtle midrange bump. Guitars just never get old.

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Initially I do feel that they are uncomfortable but once I learn how to wear them properly they are ok. Weight wise is heavy but maybe I have develop stronger neck muscle so it has little issue for me nowadays. Of cause they are other more comfy headphones out there.

Apr 26, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #14 of 14
  I like the 840 for portability, durability and isolation
The sound is good, but not great. Forgiving = soft and a bit warm.
I added a straight cable and 940 velour pads (both come included with the 940) so the end price is similar with the extra pads and cables.

You mention you like the 840s for portability.  Do you mean in comparison to the other options by Shure or do you mean in general?  From what I can tell, all the Shure over-the-ears are very similar in that aspect, no?

In any case, I bought them with this being one of the greater factors of consideration (as I have my home/studio headphones of choice already).  I was a little surprised to find that they aren't really that much more portable than the least portable headphones out there.  All they do is fold inwards which essentially just turns them from an oval, into a ball.  That saves maybe an inch in height if putting them into a bag and nothing else.  It seems to me the more portable type of headphone would be the kind which has cups which turn outwards.  That way, if putting them into a bag, they're thickness becomes significantly less and they go in like a book.  Also, that makes them more comfortable to wear over the neck (or comfortable at all I would say) since you then create space where you can actually move your head down.  With most headphones that can't do that, your head is essentially fixated in one place, and on hot days, it really makes it sweaty.

I really hope I'm missing something somehow and I was further hoping you may be able to elaborate on how, because I truly ended up liking the headphones in every other aspect for the use as I mentioned it.  Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back