What should my first Estat be?
Oct 13, 2023 at 9:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

N3XED

New Head-Fier
Not exactly sure what I should go with, but I'm thinking something like the Stax L700 for my first. Read quite good things about it and I'm keen to try it. But if yall think otherwise and have some better suggestions, buy all means! even if it's niche. Also what energizer is a good first solid starting base? price between 500-1000 for that btw.

Oct 13, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #2 of 16
HiveX from Nectarsound. It's currently 649 usd + shipping and tax. It's competitive with some budget friendly Stax. It's a bit sharp at treble but _very_ low in distortion. If you don't like the sound you can always mod or eq to more your likings. It's very great in value. Bass response is excellent after eq. You may not get the desired volume until the bass gets out of hand with estats but when it's in control it's super smooth, fast and clean.

Some reviews:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nectar-hivex-electrostatic-headphones/3.html
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...r-hive-review-electrostatic-headphones.35108/

https://nectarsound.net

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #3 of 16
My first amp was SRM-313, it was around 500 euros and I still have it. I loved it until I started to want more. Then I started to google different solutions and I jumped into the unknown area. I decided to get the Ifi Audio Pro iESL and it was expensive for my wallet and then I also got a Muzishare X7 tube amp for it. If you want punchy bass, warm sound, clean midrange and silky smooth treble. My recommendation for the estats is to get a good tube amp/energizer, also tube rolling to find the best combination. One more and :) X7 amp you can change between triode / ultralinear modes. Triode gives sharper cleaner sound and less gain and ultralinear is opposite of that. Warmer sound, dirtier and more gain.

I can't really anymore tolerate those hifi amps that give super clean sharp sounds that make my ears dizzy. If you have damaged your hearing you may like a sharper treble but I don't.

Oct 14, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #4 of 16
HiveX from Nectarsound. It's currently 649 usd + shipping and tax. It's competitive with some budget friendly Stax. It's a bit sharp at treble but _very_ low in distortion. If you don't like the sound you can always mod or eq to more your likings. It's very great in value. Bass response is excellent after eq. You may not get the desired volume until the bass gets out of hand with estats but when it's in control it's super smooth, fast and clean.

Some reviews:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nectar-hivex-electrostatic-headphones/3.html
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...r-hive-review-electrostatic-headphones.35108/

https://nectarsound.net
I had a feeling that might have been a recommendation lul. Yeah I'm *very* treble sensitive, so I might give those a miss. Also when you said the bass gets *out of hand* what do you mean by that? I haven't bothered to research electrostatic bass at this point in time, but i've heard it's one of the different things about it.

Oct 14, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #5 of 16
I had a feeling that might have been a recommendation lul. Yeah I'm *very* treble sensitive, so I might give those a miss. Also when you said the bass gets *out of hand* what do you mean by that? I haven't bothered to research electrostatic bass at this point in time, but i've heard it's one of the different things about it.
You can lower treble few db easily with steel mesh front of the driver and still keep frequency response smooth. On bass heavy songs you may not get desired sound level. Dynamic and planar you can get more volume until the sound gets very distorted.

Oct 14, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #7 of 16
Is that power related issue, or simply electrostatic design?
It's both. SRM-313 was weaker than my current setup. I can get more volume than SRM-313 with my tube amp. That is just a limitation for some really bass heavy songs. My current tube amp is around 50W. But tubes help soften sharp treble. Of course they never sound clean and dry as solid state amps and have less power but they suit better to some headphones.

Edit. Could be also a slight limitation of my iESL. But it's fully transparent and noise free. Only the amp is the noisy part.
Edit2. There are also High-amps available: http://www.high-amp.de/ Email the guy and ask what he recommends for ur treble likings and under 1kUSD.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #9 of 16
STAX SR-L300 or L500. Easy to drive and sounds very good.
Hive is an older model of the HiveX but Hive has more deep bass, better midrange than SR-L500 but a slightly sharper treble. I have Hive and HiveX. They are about the same but HiveX is a bit smoother at upper frequency and maybe better balanced (At Least my unit was).
kuva_2023-10-14_185834341.png

Also I just noticed that Sajeev Ranasinghe did a review of the cheapest estat amp out of there! :)

Oct 14, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #10 of 16
Hive is an older model of the HiveX but Hive has more deep bass, better midrange than SR-L500 but a slightly sharper treble. I have Hive and HiveX. They are about the same but HiveX is a bit smoother at upper frequency and maybe better balanced (At Least my unit was).
kuva_2023-10-14_185834341.png

Also I just noticed that Sajeev Ranasinghe did a review of the cheapest estat amp out of there! :)

The Hive same Hive X only differs in the cable, I think?

Oct 16, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #12 of 16
Haven't heard that many estats - six Stax, one HFM, and one DCA. Of those I found the DCA Voce to be well ahead in terms of timbre, and realistic treble that doesn't have the overly etched sound of the Stax. They do not make them anymore, but used could be a deal. They also have the best bass of the group.

Oct 16, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #13 of 16
I don't have a lot of estat experience personally but I found the Koss 95X to be a good starting point. I've demo'd a few lower end stax and found I preferred the bass and overall sound of the Koss. Pretty affordable although maybe not the best option if you're trying to invest in an energizer/system that you can upgrade with.

Oct 17, 2023 at 2:59 AM Post #14 of 16
L500 or L700 should be a good start. They're pretty cheap used and not that hard to drive. The main issue with estats is that a lot of them are very difficult to drive, and amps that can power them properly tend to be very expensive. This creates a pretty big barrier to entry - but with the Lambdas you don't have to worry about it as much.

For amps, I would say a used 313, 323s, or 353x would be good, and a used 717 even better, or one of the tube amps. However with the older amps like the 313 and 717, make sure they've had the caps replaced cause those do have a limited shelf life. The Stax-branded tube amps don't have a lot of output power (unless they've had the CCD mod done and 6S4A tubes swapped in) but they do sound great at lower to medium volumes. The solid state amps sound a bit sharper and brighter but they will give you more power and volume. The best amps would be stuff like the BHSE or KGST but those have hefty price tags.

The Lambdas also equalize very well, so whatever deficiencies exist with the tuning - and they will likely be a bit bright for you - can be pretty easily fixed with EQ. The mids in particular EQ quite well, and the midrange honk they have from the 1.2khz bump goes away completely.

The fit can be an issue for some people, but you can always swap in a mk2 headband or get stuff like the Socas freedom yokes and various other mods. Generally speaking, if you get a severe bass rolloff, you're probably not getting a good fit. The bass should be relatively linear and extended but it can be tricky to get there sometimes. This isn't just a Lambda thing - the fit has to be snug with any electrostat or you're losing bass below 50hz.

If you want to upgrade from there, a better amp would open them up a lot, and will then set you up to be able to move on to a higher-end estat that needs a lot of power. Though to be honest, the L700 in the right system is competitive with a lot of TOTL non-estat setups and beats most of them in some respects.

Finally, you better have some well-recorded files in your collection because a good estat system will lay every flaw bare. You'll be dealing with a level of resolution that even most mastering labs don't have access to.

Oct 17, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #15 of 16
L500 or L700 should be a good start. They're pretty cheap used and not that hard to drive. The main issue with estats is that a lot of them are very difficult to drive, and amps that can power them properly tend to be very expensive. This creates a pretty big barrier to entry - but with the Lambdas you don't have to worry about it as much.

For amps, I would say a used 313, 323s, or 353x would be good, and a used 717 even better, or one of the tube amps. However with the older amps like the 313 and 717, make sure they've had the caps replaced cause those do have a limited shelf life. The Stax-branded tube amps don't have a lot of output power (unless they've had the CCD mod done and 6S4A tubes swapped in) but they do sound great at lower to medium volumes. The solid state amps sound a bit sharper and brighter but they will give you more power and volume. The best amps would be stuff like the BHSE or KGST but those have hefty price tags.

The Lambdas also equalize very well, so whatever deficiencies exist with the tuning - and they will likely be a bit bright for you - can be pretty easily fixed with EQ. The mids in particular EQ quite well, and the midrange honk they have from the 1.2khz bump goes away completely.

The fit can be an issue for some people, but you can always swap in a mk2 headband or get stuff like the Socas freedom yokes and various other mods. Generally speaking, if you get a severe bass rolloff, you're probably not getting a good fit. The bass should be relatively linear and extended but it can be tricky to get there sometimes. This isn't just a Lambda thing - the fit has to be snug with any electrostat or you're losing bass below 50hz.

If you want to upgrade from there, a better amp would open them up a lot, and will then set you up to be able to move on to a higher-end estat that needs a lot of power. Though to be honest, the L700 in the right system is competitive with a lot of TOTL non-estat setups and beats most of them in some respects.

Finally, you better have some well-recorded files in your collection because a good estat system will lay every flaw bare. You'll be dealing with a level of resolution that even most mastering labs don't have access to.
I'm prepared for that lul. I already listen to some personal favourites poorly recorded songs on my lcdx's, so If I can deal with the resolution there becoming an issue, I can manage on the Stax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back