What should I look at next?
May 17, 2009 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

GaryJW

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

the headphones that I have tried so far and my (personal) rating of how enjoyable they are (most enjoyable 1st);

Senn. HD-650
Denon D2000
Shure SE530
Senn HD-380
AKG-K701

All used amped (Little Dot Mk III, Meier Cantata. Meier Move3 - yet to make up my mind which amp I prefer with which phones, at present all I can say is that they have different characters, but none of them are bad). (OK, the K701s are best with the Little Dot - the tubes do tame them a little).

The Denon I've listened to in a shop (and ordered a D5000 on the basis of that listening session). The HD-650, I do notice the 'veil' and acknowledge the 'flabby bass' of the Denon. especially compared to the HD-650, but it is nonetheless pleasurable to listen to.

I just cannot get to like the K701 (even after a 300hr + burn in). Not trying to put anyone's nose out of joint here, this is a personal opinion, and I have come to the conclusion that I enjoy a warmer mellow sound - the K701'a are just too bright for me, to the point of discomfort. They are revealing, but I do not enjoy listening to music through them.

My listening tastes are broad, rock (e.g. U2, The Who, Pink Floyd, Talking heads, Queen, Bowie etc), Irish & Celtic (Cheiftains, Wolftones, Filska, Dubliners, Enya etc), some 'pop' (Cranberries, Transvision Vamp, Shakira), folk (Joan Baez, Nic Jones etc), oldies (Bert Kaempfert, Jim Reeves etc) Brass band, Choral, classical etc.....

What would you guys suggest given my preferences for headphones and broad listening tastes?

Cheers,

Gary.

May 17, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 3
Sounds like you liked the HD-650, and maybe that's the one to go with? If you like the warm sound signature, you could try grado's with flat pads, or I've heard good things about the JVC KH1000, or AKG K240 Sextett is warm like the HD650, but not as dry sounding.

May 17, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 3
You haven't tried a Grado yet, have you? Why don't you put in your order for the HF-2? It is $429 USD the world over, so it will be considerably less than a Grado outside the US.

Nobody knows exactly what it will be yet, but Jude and Todd gave it good marks.

Aside from that, maybe consider one of the Alessandro headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back