What should I get-Shure E3,E2,Etymotic...
Jul 18, 2005 at 11:34 PM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
Since the OP has an iPod, I thought I would throw in this. I had the E3 and use iPod, and no amount of EQ could fix the problems sufficiently for me from an iPod. I don't think the E3 is a good match for an iPod at all, even amped.

ugh, I just read this and it made me cringe. I am just about to get the E3 for use out of my ipod unamped. Can you be more specific about why you think it's a poor match?

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get the super.fi pro.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 12:07 AM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
ugh, I just read this and it made me cringe. I am just about to get the E3 for use out of my ipod unamped. Can you be more specific about why you think it's a poor match?

rolleyes.gif

Don't bite the bullet just yet. The E4's are getting glowing reviews as a great match with the iPod straight from the headphone hole - even with the Shuffle. Something to consider as they are still 50-60 bucks cheaper than the SuperFi's (and some would say better sounding).

Jul 19, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackT
Don't bite the bullet just yet. The E4's are getting glowing reviews as a great match with the iPod straight from the headphone hole - even with the Shuffle. Something to consider as they are still 50-60 bucks cheaper than the SuperFi's (and some would say better sounding).

Even the E4's are out of my price range. Still looks like E3 for me.

Jul 19, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #34 of 42
Alright, Im down to the E2c's or the etys. Prob gunna get the e2s since they're cheaper. But is 25 more bucks for the etys worth it?
confused.gif

Im gettin sick of waiting, I should just buy one...

Jul 19, 2005 at 6:58 AM Post #35 of 42
Quote:

Even the E4's are out of my price range. Still looks like E3 for me.

Hmm, I recommend getting the e4'c even if they are out of your price range. Just wait the extra weeks or months. Once you get the e3, you'll start wondering what the next higher model will sound like, like the e4/c's or e5c's. Save yourself some money and just go with the e4/c even if it take a little longer to save.

Jul 19, 2005 at 12:01 PM Post #36 of 42
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

The problem of the E3's are the highs, even with an amp, the highs are quite rolled off. No matter what you do with the EQ or amp, it will always have that characteristic "Shure sound" The Latin EQ setting is probably the best one as mentioned by some, but the EQ does distort the sound unless you retag all your MP3 (not AAC). I prefer not to use EQ myself. Unamped, the weak bass of the iPod coupled with the E3's limited bass response still makes for an overly mid-forward sounding earphone. There are some people that actually like this "sound", but for me, I find it immensely unlistenable and completely different from ANY other headphone I've ever used.

So what you can conclude from this is: The E3 is a like it or hate it sound. It's equally possible that you'll be in one of the two boats. Maybe you'll like it and then think I'm an idiot, but maybe you'll agree with me (like three other individuals that PM'ed me recently to agree based on advice I gave them)

For IEM's, you really need to start off with the cheaper ones to see if they are for you. It's worth trying the ER6i just because it's got a "middle of the road sound". It's bassy enough for many, has more treble energy than the E3/E2, and IMO, the more tonally accurate of all the entry level IEM's so far. If you can amp them, the bass is quite adequate and enjoyable, and they even respond to EQ well. If you think that is not enough, I really do recommend you jump over the E3 into the E4 or Superfi's. The Superfi does have a rolled off treble too, but at least it has the bass energy and a good sense of rythym. The E4 is a more rounded performer than the E3. Similarly, the Ety ER4 is the other extreme, with a super detailed, sparkling sound but with an overall lean sound.

Quote:

You want bass and relaxed treble? -> Superfi's
You want lush mids and just adequate bass, slightly relaxed treble -> E4
You want super clear highs and decent mids? -> ER4

Jul 20, 2005 at 4:16 AM Post #39 of 42
Well I just read a conversation on how the e2s aren't that great...And recomended the er6i's instead. So...Im still not possative but Ill probably go for the etys because they're white and are suppose to sound better. But I really want to try the E2s....they're cheaper and I dont think stick out as much...cause I have short hair, and those etys look like they stick out....
Thanks everybody for the help though....And Also I can't afford the e4s. There is no way I can pay 300 for them, no matter how good they sound.

Jul 20, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILUVIPODS
Well I just read a conversation on how the e2s aren't that great...And recomended the er6i's instead. So...Im still not possative but Ill probably go for the etys because they're white and are suppose to sound better. But I really want to try the E2s....they're cheaper and I dont think stick out as much...cause I have short hair, and those etys look like they stick out....
Thanks everybody for the help though....And Also I can't afford the e4s. There is no way I can pay 300 for them, no matter how good they sound.

Let us know what you decide and make sure you write a review!

Jul 20, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILUVIPODS

I really think you're getting your priorities mixed up... no offense. If you're really considering price and style as your main focus, then maybe in ears are not for you. I really do not recommend the e2s because their quality is put down by buds that are 30 or 40 dollars less. If you are worried about people staring at you, then try the ATH buds. They are stylish yet, not terrible sounding
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyways, if you are truly looking for a real nice portable IEM with sound quality that is day and night to regular ipod buds, the er6is are a great start.

Jul 20, 2005 at 5:36 AM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by CamelBackCinema
I really think you're getting your priorities mixed up... no offense. If you're really considering price and style as your main focus, then maybe in ears are not for you. I really do not recommend the e2s because their quality is put down by buds that are 30 or 40 dollars less. If you are worried about people staring at you, then try the ATH buds. They are stylish yet, not terrible sounding
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyways, if you are truly looking for a real nice portable IEM with sound quality that is day and night to regular ipod buds, the er6is are a great start.

Trust me, Style isn't my main focus. Price of course, is though. I decided to get the etys,cause they are only like 30 or so bucks more....Thanks everyone for the help. Ill come back for a review or somethin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back