What should I get for my bayer DT-770s?
Jun 26, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Predator6sic6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently using the headphone out on my Harman Kardon 247 to my Bayer DT-770 cans...

Do I need to get a DAC, like the Zero?
Or sould I just get a Amp, like a Little Dot?

My source is my X-Fi fatality card in my computer...

Ive got dt770's (80ohm) myself, and have tried 3 amps
-Darkvoice 336i
-Minimax diy
-Jaycar SCHA diy

Without a doubt the Jaycar SCHA amp is a great match, I dont think tube sound works as well as solid state for dt770's imo. more info http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/sch...nished-426727/
ps I wouldnt recomend the littledot amp for dt770

You can use your soundcard as source, maybe upgrade opamp and a few caps for cleaner better sound, or just external dac.

Jun 26, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #3 of 10
Dean, the other habnd, while browsing different forums I found one post recommending little dot I+ for 80 ohms DT 770 pro
wink.gif

I myself will be testing these phones with Zero DAC soon and will let you know how it sounds.
But I will be also interested in comparing how they sound using tube amp.

Jun 26, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nessus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dean, the other habnd, while browsing different forums I found one post recommending little dot I+ for 80 ohms DT 770 pro
wink.gif

I myself will be testing these phones with Zero DAC soon and will let you know how it sounds.
But I will be also interested in comparing how they sound using tube amp.

depends on your music taste, but I wouldnt imagine someone buying these phones for jazz, classic etc..... there strengths are having deep punchy bass and sparkling highs, perfect for electronic music.
When using tube amp, music sounds colored, warm and the bass it bloated, imo you need a good solid-state amp for speed and to keep the bass in check.

Jun 26, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #5 of 10
I use the older Corda amps for my Darths (Prehead MKII, and HA-2 MKII). A couple of posters have already indicated that you should stick with SS amps rather than tube for this pairing - they are correct in that statement. The best current choice is Blue Circle, but that goes for $1200 that I guess you'd not care to spend. The K.I.C.A.S amps are very nice (straight @ only $325, not Caliente version). Some portable amps can also do a good job for you. I use a RSA P51 Mustang to good advantage between my MacBook and a pair of v.3 Darths to good advantage. ..........so, I've given you a few choices that expend your horizons.
A big NO to your first supposition - Little Dot.

Jun 26, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #6 of 10
Thank you for all your suggestions, I just ordered the parts cotdt recommends for my x-fi in his "Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide" post.

BushGuy, I looked at those amps and they are a little more than I was looking to spend. I would like to spend about $200, I would be willing to spend more if one of you convinces me it would really be worth it...

dean0, I'm intersted in the Jaycar SCHA. Where would be a good place to order a kit? About how much did it cost for you to build yours?

Thanks

Jun 26, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dean0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
depends on your music taste, but I wouldnt imagine someone buying these phones for jazz, classic etc..... there strengths are having deep punchy bass and sparkling highs, perfect for electronic music.
When using tube amp, music sounds colored, warm and the bass it bloated, imo you need a good solid-state amp for speed and to keep the bass in check.

Thanks for clarifying things
smily_headphones1.gif

These are my first serious phones and I have completely no experience with amplifying them.
But as you suggest I maily listed to electronic music and similar genres so 770s will work for me.
Do you have any experience how they will sound with Zero or Compass?

And I also thank you BushGuy thanks for your suggestions
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2009 at 11:13 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Predator6sic6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for all your suggestions, I just ordered the parts cotdt recommends for my x-fi in his "Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide" post.

BushGuy, I looked at those amps and they are a little more than I was looking to spend. I would like to spend about $200, I would be willing to spend more if one of you convinces me it would really be worth it...

dean0, I'm intersted in the Jaycar SCHA. Where would be a good place to order a kit? About how much did it cost for you to build yours?

Thanks

get the kit from jaycar;
Amp pcb
http://www.jaycarelectronics.co.uk/p...T&SUBCATID=557

psu
http://www.jaycarelectronics.co.uk/p...T&SUBCATID=557

then you will need these parts;
http://www.fractalist.net/images/scha/AK-SCHAList.jpg

....and this thread describes what goes where
http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/inde...ay&thread=3622

you will also need the PSRR board (ripple eater, the pcb after the psu), I can send you the pdf file so you can etch yourself or I could make one for you, if i have some pcbs spare

i reccomend reading through the links at rockgrotto forum, loads of info there, hope this helps pm if you need any help

ps total cost not including case, £50-£100 depending on parts

Jun 27, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nessus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for clarifying things
smily_headphones1.gif

These are my first serious phones and I have completely no experience with amplifying them.
But as you suggest I maily listed to electronic music and similar genres so 770s will work for me.
Do you have any experience how they will sound with Zero or Compass?

And I also thank you BushGuy thanks for your suggestions
smily_headphones1.gif

sorry, never used zero/compass, have a read through the threads for these amps in this section, sure info will be in there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back