What should I get for my ATH-AD900s? (Under 100 CAD)
Apr 3, 2012 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

endure

New Head-Fier
I've recently wanted to upgrade from my sb audigy 2(lol) but everything I've looked at xonar essence stx, auzentech forte and that's really all that's caught my eye so far to be used with my AD900s. Is there any others I'm missing? The forte is 100$ exact CAD but I also don't know if there's anything comparable for cheaper. Any help would be great since the compatibility issues are so terrible I might have to use my onboard soon.

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #2 of 7

Quote:
I've recently wanted to upgrade from my SB Audigy 2(lol) but everything I've looked at Xonar Essence STX, Auzentech Forte and that's really all that's caught my eye so far to be used with my AD900s. Is there any others I'm missing? The forte is 100$ exact CAD but I also don't know if there's anything comparable for cheaper. Any help would be great since the compatibility issues are so terrible I might have to use my onboard soon.

The Audio Technica ATH-AD900 will work with just about any modern sound card and most of the older ones too.
The Asus Xonar DG ($30), PCI will work with the ATH-AD900s.

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
The Audio Technica ATH-AD900 will work with just about any modern sound card and most of the older ones too.
The Asus Xonar DG ($30), PCI will work with the ATH-AD900s.

I found the Xonar DS for 40$, does that simulated 7.1 improve the soundstage? Or just go with the DG
Was just curious because the DG has an amp

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
I found the Xonar DS for 40$, does that simulated 7.1 improve the sound stage? Or just go with the DG
Was just curious because the DG has an amp

They both do 7.1 surround sound for headphones.
The DS comes with DTS, but not Dolby
The DG comes with Dolby, but not DTS
Some places sell the Xonar DG with a $10 mail in rebate during April.
Also the DG can drive any future headphones you might get better then the DS.
So I would say just get the DG.

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #5 of 7
endure, what are your listening habits? Music, games, movies?

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
endure, what are your listening habits? Music, games, movies?

Music, just about anything (probably heavy instrumental the most), games FPS I think I'll go with the DG if it doesn't have any problems with windows7/64 (Also just found it for 15$ after MIR which definitely makes it worth the price)

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:

Music, just about anything (probably heavy instrumental the most), games FPS I think I'll go with the DG if it doesn't have any problems with windows7/64 (Also just found it for 15$ after MIR which definitely makes it worth the price)

If the only options you're considering are those two Asus cards, then do go with the Xonar DG. Despite both being low end soundcards, the Xonar DG does give a bit more leeway when it comes to headphone driving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back