What should I buy next? SR-009?
Dec 27, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #47 of 274
Nods, never been able to insert sub into my speaker rig and get better results than without it.  That said if you need to treat your room, you haven't taken the time to place your speakers properly yet.  It's a listening room not an anechoic chamber :wink:

Dec 27, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #48 of 274
Quote:
That said if you need to treat your room, you haven't taken the time to place your speakers properly yet.  

blink.gif
...   =/

Dec 27, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #50 of 274
Quote:
Nightspore68,

I know I could buy an excellent speaker system for around 10K, but seeing as I might be moving into an apartment sometime soon, I think that 10K would be much better invested in a Stax set-up rather than a floorstanding speaker set-up (for now). I still plan on getting a reference speaker setup eventually (my dream at least).

Is it even possible to spend that much on a headphone set up?

Dec 27, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #51 of 274
Quote:
The key to speakers in an apartment is room treatment and finding speakers that don't 'require' a sub. That's why I have my heart set on Harbeths. Extension was fantastic. Who needs a sub anyway?

EDIT: Another Texan! Hope you're planning to hit up the big Austin meet. If you want a taste of where that 10k would take you on headphones I'd make a point of being there. 

BHSE and LL with 009s will be present. :D

What's this Austin meet? I'm moving to Fort Worth this winter...

Dec 27, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #52 of 274
Quote:

Yes it is.  That is why this thread is in the High-End Forum.  Just like you could spend $100K+ or multiples there of on a speaker rig blinking your eyes if you know what you want.

Dec 27, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #53 of 274

Absolutely. I did. Lol. That 10k doesn't include source either. Some Head-fires have 20k+ CDPs.

What's this Austin meet? I'm moving to Fort Worth this winter...

March 2nd. Gonna be huge. We're renting a hotel this year.

Dec 28, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #54 of 274
Quote:
I have 30 years experience in high end audio.  When I first wrote this I should have made it clearer that the 30 years is as a member of the industry.   I go to several shows per year including international.  Speakers are a huge interest of mine so I seek out and listen to every raved speaker, and walk the halls checking out every potentially great speaker that I hear any promise from.  I've picked my favorites to own.  Yet my first foray into headphones (Stax) has shown me that all speakers I have heard are more flawed than the headphones.  That is a strong statement, but it is not born of bias when you consider that I own hudreds of thousands of dollars worth of speakers and yet still make the preceeding statements.  

So, it comes down to, for me, more the pleasure factor of listening to headphones versus that of listening to speakers.  For some reason it was very easy for me to adapt and I seem to get as much pleasure from the headphones, but I hear more information in a more coherent manner.  Many questions about the scoring, particular instrumental sounds, the lowest level details that I struggled with before have been answered with the headphones.

For sonic quality, low distortion, the ultimate detail, in my opinion the headphones are far more sound per dollar than speakers. 

Nobody can argue about personal preference, so if you are more comfortable listening to speakers, if the sound of an energized room is more "real" to you, if you love sharing with friends, if the "feeling" of bass over your whole body is a huge advantage, so be it: you may get more pleasure out of a speaker.  But on a pure distortion, ultimate detail, seamless coherency basis I don't think a speaker is made that can equal the best headphones - except for the factors that can only be given by a set of speakers, that of being surrounded by sound, feeling the sound especially the bass, and "looking" at the soundstage in front of you in the room. 

A strange thing is that my headphones cause me to enjoy my speakers more than I did before.  It seems that having a transducer that delivers such extreme detail and coherency makes me accept the limitations of speakers, while also appreciating their visceral aspects that headphones cannot deliver.  

For me, an "either/or" decision or piece of advice would be very difficult.  I think "both" is  the best situation: a great set of headpones and a great pair of speakers.  

+1

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #55 of 274
I meant is it possible to spend that much on headphones and an amp? I myself have spent much more on stereo equipment. The most expensive 'phones I've seen are those 5k Stax ones and I think they come with an amp.

I'll come to the Austin event if possible, thanks.

Dec 30, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #56 of 274
Quote:
I meant is it possible to spend that much on headphones and an amp? I myself have spent much more on stereo equipment. The most expensive 'phones I've seen are those 5k Stax ones and I think they come with an amp.

They don't come with an amp (and my wallet knows it).

Dec 30, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #57 of 274
009s at $5250 do not come with an amp. The BHSE can cost up to 6k, LL at 4250, WES at 5k. 

It's very possible. :D Speaking from experience. 

Quote:

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #59 of 274
Many are saying that headphones are finally spreading in 2 channel territory and a lot of the kind of guys that own 20,000 dollar cables won't even look at cheap stuff no matter how good it is.

Quote:
After being the poorer, little brother to 2 channel audio for decades, headphones are trying to catch up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back