What should I buy next? SR-009?
May 18, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #256 of 274
Quote:

I have heard great things about the R10s, obviously they're one of the most respected and acclaimed headphones on Head-Fi, I definitely wouldn't mind owing one someday. How much would one in great condition go for? Almost as much as the SR-009s? I haven't seen many around on the forums, Sony must not have made very many.

About 2000 were made in total I believe.  Their current going rate is between 4 to 6.5k with 6.5k is in a near NOS condition.  The R10 is a low impedance headphones that is very difficult to drive properly.  They must also be driven in a balanced mode to really sound their best.  The amp must also be powerful and able to bring out the bass as they are little bass shy compared to other headphones.  I highly recommended the Balancing Act or GS-X MK II as an amp if you ever landed an R10 one day.  The R10 is very capable of making a really beautiful music thanks to their very liquid and euphonic presentation.  Additionally, they present the music in such organic and transparent manner along with plenty of musical detailed in a very life-like soundstage.  Most importantly, they don't sound closed-in like most closed headphones out there.  They are stunning with classical, jazz, female vocal, and well recorded music.  Sadly they have been long discontinued and now receive very limited supports from Sony.  One gentleman who heard my R10 in a recent Atlanta Meet stated the following:

Coming from the HC auditory "proletariat", the SR 009, Blue Hawaii, merge, produced the most accurate repro of sound ive heard. But to this day the R 10 are the only hp that (subj) seemed to "vanish' leaving me with only "music'. I was devoid of a tangible device...only music traveling through my frontal lobe..

May 18, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #257 of 274
Quote:

About 2000 were made in total I believe.  Their current going rate is between 4 to 6.5k with 6.5k is in a near NOS condition.  The R10 is a low impedance headphones that is very difficult to drive properly.  They must also be driven in a balanced mode to really sound their best.  The amp must also be powerful and able to bring out the bass as they are little bass shy compared to other headphones.  I highly recommended the Balancing Act or GS-X MK II as an amp if you ever landed an R10 one day.  The R10 is very capable of making a really beautiful music thanks to their very liquid and euphonic presentation.  Additionally, they present the music in such organic and transparent manner along with plenty of musical detailed in a very life-like soundstage.  Most importantly, they don't sound closed-in like most closed headphones out there.  They are stunning with classical, jazz, female vocal, and well recorded music.  Sadly they have been long discontinued and now receive very limited supports from Sony.  One gentleman who heard my R10 in a recent Atlanta Meet stated the following:

I'll definitely listen to one at a meet if I ever see one. I see you have the bass-heavy version. Have you heard both versions? It's interesting that Sony doesn't seem to produce a high-end headphone currently. Hopefully they'll come out with something special again in that market.

May 18, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #258 of 274
Quote:

I'll definitely listen to one at a meet if I ever see one. I see you have the bass-heavy version. Have you heard both versions? It's interesting that Sony doesn't seem to produce a high-end headphone currently. Hopefully they'll come out with something special again in that market.

Yes, I used to have both versions.  I sold the bass light b/c the bass quantity was a bit less for my taste; however, the bass light version  has airier and a bit more refined sounding between the two versions.  They are also more demanding of the upstream equipment.  Meet impressions are tough on the R10 given that they will sound lean comparatively to nearly every other rig at the meet, but don't dismiss other aspects of sound that they are able to portray.  If you are willing to build the system to compensate for the R10's shortcoming they are capable of very sweetest sound in headphone kingdom.  My opinion of course. 

Jun 1, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #259 of 274
This is what it is all about.  I am in the process of re-listening to all of my music collection on my SR009s.

I just listened to Joan Baez' Diamonds and Rust on my SR009s via MacBook, Amarra, Weiss Dac2 a STAX 727 II (have a BHSE on order).  It literally brought tears to my eyes.  Not just an amazing performance, but the very essence of emotion that was delivered by my setup.  This is why I am an audiophile.  Yes, the technical advancements are very interesting, but the unveiling of the emotional impact of the music is the prize.

It doesn't get much better than this.

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #260 of 274
Ross (baka1969) was here in Toronto last week for a visit. Its very well documented just how much of an HD800 fan he is. He was very impressed with my GS-X/HD800 pairing. But that said, he was SUPER impressed with my SR-009 rig. It was clearly the better headphone and not by a small margin....and I really concur with him. I've had my pair for 7 months and they still never cease to amaze me! 
size]

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #261 of 274
Quote:
Ross (baka1969) was here in Toronto last week for a visit. Its very well documented just how much of an HD800 fan he is. He was very impressed with my GS-X/HD800 pairing. But that said, he was SUPER impressed with my SR-009 rig. It was clearly the better headphone and not by a small margin....and I really concur with him. I've had my pair for 7 months and they still never cease to amaze me! 
size]

X2. I must have listen to Midnight Oil's Blue Sky Mining consecutively 5 times in a row yesterday with the SR-009. Then I decided to put Pink Floyd's A Momentary Lapse of Reason to finally switch it up, and it sounded a bit thin in comparison. Really not sure what my point is, other than the SR-009 are awesome, and I would never listen to something 5 times in a row before, and how revealing they are.

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #262 of 274
Quote:
X2. I must have listen to Midnight Oil's Blue Sky Mining consecutively 5 times in a row yesterday with the SR-009. Then I decided to put Pink Floyd's A Momentary Lapse of Reason to finally switch it up, and it sounded a bit thin in comparison. Really not sure what my point is, other than the SR-009 are awesome, and I would never listen to something 5 times in a row before, and how revealing they are.

I'm still hearing stuff on my SR-009s that my HD800s/LCD-3s/TH-900s have otherwise glossed over completely. 
size]

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #263 of 274
Quote:
size]

Why do you still have the HD800/GSX rig then? Where/when does it best the 009 rig?

-Daniel

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #264 of 274
I use two interconnects with my headphone combos, pure silver XLR's are used with my HD-600 / GS-Xmk2 and copper RCA's are used with my 009 / BHSE.
To me the silver XLR's give more detail to the SQ than the copper RCA's do, and because the 009 / BHSE are very detailed, the copper RCA's for me make the 009 / BHSE more enjoyable to listen to.

I've tried the silver XLR's with the 009 / BHSE but I much prefer the copper RCA's.

I find the silver XLR's are better to use with the HD-600 / GS-Xmk2 though.

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #265 of 274
Quote:
Why do you still have the HD800/GSX rig then? Where/when does it best the 009 rig?

-Daniel

Don't know. Might sell it off after we're done with some major home renovations that are taking most of my attention.

Jun 1, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #267 of 274
Quote:
Well hit me up for your GSX when you're ready...Ima need an ss me-too once my Leviathan arrives. :wink:

-Daniel

ps: Is it the black or silver one?

I'll keep you in mind if I decide to go down that path to a single setup. BTW, silver is the only real colour. 
size]

Jun 1, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #269 of 274
Thanks for the continued feedback guys. I actually just let my cousin listen to my HD800 set up and he was completely floored. He's just a casual music fan, and probably hasn't listened to anything more expensive than $100 ear-buds. I told him yeah, these are great, but the SR-009s are even better, and once I get my BHSE you can listen to them and hear the difference. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #270 of 274
For those that have the 009 / BHSE combo [ the LL might work just aswell ] that like drums, a must song to listen to, is " Barber's Adagio for Strings [ Atb Remix ] " which is the last song on "Pieces in a Modern Style " an album  by William Orbit.

After getting a couple of his CD's, I went on Amazon and listened to some more of his albums and came across the album I've mentioned. 
The drum impact on that song has to be heard to be believed, totally amazing.
My source might have something to do with what I heard because the same song did sound pretty good with my HD-600 / GS-Xmk2, but that combo still couldn't touch the 009 / BHSE.

Now please excuse me, but I've just got to hear that song again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back