What should an IEM sound like
Feb 2, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #16 of 18
The best sound source is a LIVE sound. No matter how good the recording devices are, there still loses, colorization, modification in the recorded data. High end audio boasting it's numbers in their specifications, and most of the time these numbers are way better than devices being used for the recording/production.

Example:
Assume that Live perfomane is 100%
At the end.of recording/mixing/post production devices, the sound is 95%. This the values which are in our audio media, TAPE, CD, DAT, SACD, MD, DVD-A, ....
Or even worse, they recorded in 24bit digital master, but the end product is 16bit CD-Digital Audio. Ooo.. No ... so many details were lost.....

Now, the high end device claims can replay it up to 99.999% from the media.
Finally the sound goes to speakers, phones, ..., which also adds some more details/quality loses before reachs to our ears.

So how much pure the sound we REALLY get? The answers is always LESS than 100%, and the worst thing is, it is all depends on how the sound being recorded. So to get the best sound reproduction quality is by visiting the recording company and hear it directly from their devices/master tapes, such as Genelec or Yamaha monitoring speakers or studio headphones.

Sometime I feel being cheated, all the the money I spend to have a BETTER sound, but, the best is always being kept secret at recording studio
smily_headphones1.gif

So my answer to the questionaire is ... IMHO, studio monitor

TQ

Feb 2, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #17 of 18
I'd prefer it to sound like an open headphone with amazing soundstage but it just sounds like an IEM(well mine does anyway)

The sound is inside your head, but the soundstage on my RE2s isn't half bad.

Feb 2, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #18 of 18
I have IEMs that sound like IEMs, and now I have an IEM, the IE8, that actually sounds better than my other headphones (I need a headphone upgrade). But with the physical restrictions, I expect them to sound like headphones, but wish they sounded like live music.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ballz2TheWallz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd prefer it to sound like an open headphone with amazing soundstage but it just sounds like an IEM(well mine does anyway)

The sound is inside your head, but the soundstage on my RE2s isn't half bad.

Maybe you should try the IE8s...AMAZING soundstage
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back