What should an IEM sound like
Feb 1, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #2 of 18
thats a really stupid question

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:39 AM Post #3 of 18
i voted IEM because they should sound like they sound and then you pick the one you like the sound of. like one my favourites is the little klipsch custom 1's they so in your face and direct when im in the mood for that i love it, when i want something else i use something else

Feb 1, 2009 at 11:07 AM Post #4 of 18
I don't think it's a stupid question. An IEM that gives me the illusion to hear music from potent floor speakers is my personal ideal. IE8 is not far from that, especially because sometimes I can feel the bass wander through my corpus, though I really don't know how that could achieved with an headphone or IEM. But it's a nice illusion!

Feb 1, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I Like the difference between headphones and floor speakers and nothing will ever sound really live so the best for me is to have IEM's that sound closest to my best Headphones.

Good answer, I like that.
beerchug.gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #8 of 18
"real"

That's what I want my IEM or any audio hardware to sound like. It should never sound like it's a speaker reproducing an audio source. It should sound like the original source of audio, without added coloration, effect, or any other discernible modifier.

I don't give my audio hardware handicaps. Just because it's an IEM, there's no reason it should give special treatment. I expect the same clarity, definition, transparency, tonality, authority, etc. as I would from any other stereo system in my home, car, or PC. The end goal is always the same. It's just a matter of finding the right hardware, install, and tune to get it right.

Now there will be limitations of design in stage and directionality, and you'll never actually reproduce bass that will shake your whole body. There are physical limitations to the design. However, stepping beyond that, the sound itself should not be special in any way just because it's an IEM. I expect the same as I do from any other audio hardware.

Feb 1, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #9 of 18
@mvw2
We don't know the sound of the original source of audio. All we know is the sound after the original source has gone through a known sound device that possibly compulsory add some kind of coloration/distortion.

Feb 1, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #11 of 18
It should sound however the designers intended it to sound.
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It should sound however the designers intended it to sound.
biggrin.gif

i agree. in my younger days (what hi-fi days) i was lead to believe that the objective was to get as close to the original source as possible. now I realise that each company has their own 'interpretation' of how the sound should be.

Feb 2, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #13 of 18
I thought the whole point of all this fancy audio hoodoo was make cd's sound like johnny rotten was sitting in your living room yelling at you!

Feb 2, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"real"

That's what I want my IEM or any audio hardware to sound like. It should never sound like it's a speaker reproducing an audio source. It should sound like the original source of audio, without added coloration, effect, or any other discernible modifier.

I don't give my audio hardware handicaps. Just because it's an IEM, there's no reason it should give special treatment. I expect the same clarity, definition, transparency, tonality, authority, etc. as I would from any other stereo system in my home, car, or PC. The end goal is always the same. It's just a matter of finding the right hardware, install, and tune to get it right.

Now there will be limitations of design in stage and directionality, and you'll never actually reproduce bass that will shake your whole body. There are physical limitations to the design. However, stepping beyond that, the sound itself should not be special in any way just because it's an IEM. I expect the same as I do from any other audio hardware.

Agreed, I want to hear my music the way it was intended to be heard. The way it was recorded, this is a very chameleon subject, subject to change at any time. Simply because of this, who's to say that the speakers in the recording studio are accurately reproducing the original audio stream as life-like as can be. Therefore I voted for live music ONLY because it's the realest to me that you can get. Meaning I want a IEM to sound real as if the guitar is playing in front of me. Live.

Feb 2, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by PachmanP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the whole point of all this fancy audio hoodoo was make cd's sound like johnny rotten was sitting in your living room yelling at you!

Agreed, if you have high quality phone Phonaks, W3, IE8, ER4, Shure 530 etc type Andy Mgree Acoustic Guitar in the youtube search bar. Thru some good phones such as above you"ll feel as if he was playing in front of you. Enjoy....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back