what shops in japan? and what to get?
Nov 5, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #17 of 34
thanks for the tips everyone. i'm in kobe now and will spend a few days in osaka later this weekend and tokyo most of next week, so hopefully i'll look into some of these.

will probably make my way to the studio ghibli museum...my wife's a huge fan and i need to get some stuff for her there. i'll look into the stax rigs, but i'm happy with my current setup so not sure they would meet my needs...the nintendo dsi looks very cool and that might be my big purchase. we'll see...

Nov 5, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by syg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All that comes to the top of my head are the Nintendo DSi if you like keeping on top of Nintendo's revisions of their handhelds, and that headphone art book (Shin Moeru Headphone Dokuhon), if you're into that moe aesthetic (probably not, given that you're married :p). I think the DSi is released today, November 1, in Japan and won't be stateside for a while.

The Shin Moeru book looks very interesting. Any ideas where I'd be able to get one shipped to the US?

Nov 5, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #19 of 34
Probably not gonna be used by a lot of people, but last time I was over I got a Zojirushi Stainless Lunch Jar from one of the department stores (can't remember which). I love having hot lunches
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #21 of 34
flash memory? A coworker who just got back from japan was teliing me about 8gb cards for $10

Nov 5, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #22 of 34
Go for the Stax!

If I ever go back to Japan I'm bringing home the 'stats.

Nov 5, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #24 of 34
a little known gem around here is the excellent audio technica ck-10. most durable phone i have seen. only weakness is the straight plug but the cable is as microphonic free as um2 but is stronger, more comfortable, dual drivers but tiny. it has better strain relief, a closer fit and faster sound.

it is not as warm or fuzzy but quite the portable: easily the best for excercise or a walk about i have tried yet

Nov 5, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #25 of 34
It's a bit off topic; but when I was in the US Navy back in the 60s; I would get off the train from Yokosuka to Tokyo at a particular station and walk a block thatta way and turn the corner and there was more Electronics stores than in the whole rest of the World combined, and it made Disneyland and Disney World and all the rest of the theme parks on the rest of the Planet seem somehow much less fun in comparison.

...speaking of the train station; if you found your way to the Mens' Room, you may have been surprised to learn that the Girls had to walk through it to get to theirs.

Rather startling the first time there.

....maybe it was "under construction".....I dunno.

Nov 5, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #26 of 34
Hey Kugino,
I spent a couple of years in Osaka, Japan recently. The cell phones are definitely worth checkin out. Its amazing how creative they get with cell phone features, like thumb print scanners.
I usually frequented Yodobashi Camera, which is a HUGE electronic department store because they offer 10-15% credit based upon previous purchases. But if you only want 1 or 2 things, Amazon Japan is one of the cheapest sources (but you need a mailing address there)

Nov 5, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #28 of 34
Buy wierd japanese snacks that have a rather long expiration time. Squid/octopus snacks are nice, anything you can't find from your homecountry. These are fun little memories and they keep the true flavours of the country (even though not perfect, but still).

Nov 9, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #29 of 34
saw the ath-esw10 today. looks very nice. selling for 49,800, which is about $507. the ath cases that hold the esw9/esw10 are 1980 yen, which is about $20. audio cubes sells it for $37. i think i'll pick up a case at least.

still not sure if i'm going to pick up the esw10. i want to see how much the jvc hx1000 goes for...or see if the nintento dsi is available.

Nov 9, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #30 of 34
You should try to get your hands on some genuine Tango iron. Particularly output transformers. Then have one of our many custom guys put together a simple amp with them and enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back