What (relatively cheap) amp would be able to drive the DT880's
Jun 23, 2009 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

foges

Head-Fier
Topic prety much sums it up. below 200$ if possible. Not sure if I should be looking at portable amps instead of full sized (don't need the portability) also don't want one with tubes.

Thanks

Jun 23, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #2 of 17
Which impedance version of the 880s? Also, why no tubes? (Tubes are sad:
frown.gif
)

I used my 250 ohm 880s with a USED Little Dot MkIII which can be found on the FS forums for well under $200. I recently sold mine (with upgraded tubes) for $150!

NK

Jun 24, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #3 of 17
The main reasons for not wanting tubes are: I don't really want to have to buy expensive replacement ones if they break AND Im planning on building a Starving student amp so then ill already have a (semi)tube amp.

Ill have a look at the little dot

EDIT: and if you have any recomendations for amps with built in DAC I'd also like those suggestions

Jun 24, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #4 of 17
I am following this topic also. But tube amps recomendations gladyl welcome here.

Jun 24, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #6 of 17
Yeah I've been looking at the 3move (esp. seeing as it has a built in DAC) and it gets prety good reviews.

Jun 24, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #8 of 17
I have the 2Move, and upgraded to a Millett Max Hybrid. There was a night and day difference between the two powering my '05 250 ohm DT-880's. The Millett powered them much more effectively. I would say unless you absolutely HAVE to have a portable amp for other reasons, the 3move wouldn't be my top pic for the 880's by a long shot.

That said. I do really like the 2move USB out of my laptop to my SR80's. But that's a whole different story.

Jun 25, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #11 of 17
Tubes for $2.19 to $7.50 a piece are expensive replacement parts?
smily_headphones1.gif
you may be missing out. Little Dot MkII and then invest saved cash in a better source may be a great option.
Just saying...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #12 of 17
The CTH has driven just about every HP that has been thrown at it, and you can get a full kit for around $150. Its a great little amp, with TONS of different tubes you can use in it.. many for less than $5.. and you only need one.. Wiatrob and Cfcubed have just announced a mod on the Tube/tweak thread that will allow even more tubes to be used in it, going from a 6.3/12 v heater supply selection to 6 different voltages or more.. This is probably The Most versatile hybrid amp out there, EVER..

Ok.. Not The Most.. the Stacker II is probably The Most versatile, because it even has the option of different tube sockets for multiple tube types.. But, otherwise.. I rest my case..

Jun 25, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #13 of 17
What about Little Dot I+ ?

Jun 25, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #14 of 17
To the OP: your original strategy may be best. The Starving Student is noticeably better than a Little Dot.
wink.gif

Just an FYI, but I think the Millett MAXes/MiniMAXes are pretty versatile, too.
wink.gif
Of course, the Milletts compete in a low-voltage niche. Along with the high-Class A diamond buffers, that's the primary difference.

Jun 27, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #15 of 17
I've just been looking at all the different amps that you can build (DIY) and I'm impressed at the choice.

I think Ill try the starving student and see how that goes. If it works out and I like it I may build the CTH afterwards.

How do these amps compare the commercial ones though (ie. little dot)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back