what reference audio to use to detect difference in cables
Mar 29, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #16 of 36
The music you choose for cable listening tests should be exactly the same as for any main component. Assuming for the sake of argument (oh dear!) that differences do exist, then exactly the same piece of music will show if the the item is worth spending money on - be it cable or amplifier or whatever.

Personally, I choose albums that have okay SQ, but each have a problem: maybe a slightly brittle treble, or slightly lifeless sound. If a cable is to be a worthwhile investment, then it will make EVERYTHING better. The reduction in noise and HF distortions will tame a bright recording, whilst at the same time the increase in clarity will breath life into a dull recording.

If you have to agonize by repeatedly swapping cables to detect a minute difference, then walk away from it. Either there is no difference, or your money would be better spent elsewhere at this stage.

Mar 29, 2009 at 10:15 AM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have several power cables and can tell the difference between them. Anyway the best music is whatever you know inside out. Your most favorite cd's or albums. They are the best.

I can tell the difference between my power cables too, if you hold them up and show them to me. That black one's for my TV, and that grey one you're holding there must be the one to my amplifier, right?
smily_headphones1.gif

That you claim that you actually HEAR the difference between them (connected to what?) makes it amazingly difficult to take you serious. I've always wondered if high-end power cables came complete with the "I'm a sucker" bumper sticker.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you guys really think it's important to get 100% noise free power supply to your gear - WHY NOT BUY A FREAKING ACTIVE UPS AND MAKE YOUR WHOLE SETUP BATTERY POWERED AND NOISE FREE!?
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif

It's actually cheaper than a lot of them useless power cables out there, and setting up the UPS would give you an actual result! It would even look cool and probably have a blinking green light or two.

I think I'll just go back to bed and give up on mankind...

Mar 29, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #18 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by hybris /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think I'll just go back to bed and give up on mankind...

Yes, it's that serious of an issue. If someone enjoys a power cable, you must save them from themselves.
rolleyes.gif

Seriously, relax. It's just a hobby. Let people have their fun and don't try to suck the joy out of it for others.
regular_smile .gif

And let us crazy people discuss what music we like to use without changing the topic to your agenda. Thank you. Thank you very much.
regular_smile .gif

Mar 29, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it's that serious of an issue. If someone enjoys a power cable, you must save them from themselves.
rolleyes.gif

Seriously, relax. It's just a hobby. Let people have their fun and don't try to suck the joy out of it for others.
regular_smile .gif

And let us crazy people discuss what music we like to use without changing the topic to your agenda. Thank you. Thank you very much.
regular_smile .gif

While such rants will probably do little for true believers, they may help to steer new forum viewers and lurkers away from voodoo and towards upgrades that really matter.

Mar 29, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by deaconblues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While such rants will probably do little for true believers, they may help to steer new forum viewers and lurkers away from voodoo and towards upgrades that really matter.

But this stuff is EVERYWHERE! It's not necessary for people to intrude on every single thread with this anti-cable dogma. Any noob that spends just 5 minutes on this forum will find plenty of the anti-cable statements. Can't we just have few threads to discuss topics related to cables without these arguments always intruding?
rolleyes.gif

And noobs are not stupid. If they're smart enough to use a computer and find Head-Fi, they can be trusted to read the forums and make their own judgments as to what is best for them. They don't need the superior intellects to constantly badger them with the the anti-cable agenda.
wink.gif

Mar 29, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rolleyes.gif

regular_smile .gif

regular_smile .gif

I'm all for hifi as a hobby, and when I change stuff in my setup, I deliberately DO NOT perform any blind testing, as I know I will find the difference to be much bigger if I don't. It's a bit like looking at a magic show. You know the guy doing the tricks is good, but not THAT good - but you don't wanna spoil the fun for yourself.

I just think there's a limit to everything. If someone thinks 1800USD worth of power cables is a valuable addition to their stereo setup I must admit that it is very hard not to attempt to "save them from themselves" (even though I should know they're lost cases by then)..

If you want to improve the performance of your stereo and you add this
l_8b5dc6ff038e40bd8a7f53c3afbb12a6.jpg

It's about like adding this to your car:
rice-boy-civic2.jpg

I'm sure it looks good (to some people) - but that's about it.
smily_headphones1.gif
The guy with the Civic probably ruined what little his car had in terms of aerodynamics - looking at that power cable I'm not totally convinced that the guy who bought that didn't decrease the performance of his setup as well..
wink.gif

Mar 29, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #22 of 36
Intrude? Look at the OP's post. It's about whether or not cables make a difference and whether certain music can highlight the differences. The OP has even stated that in his attempts so far, he has been unable to hear a difference. To confirm the OP's stated initial impressions is hardly an intrusion.

Mar 29, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #23 of 36
Anything jazz, classical or classic rock are going to be your best differences. if its not high quality source (ie, no R&B, rap, deathmetal, punk) and as long as you aren't using MP3's, you'll hear the difference.

Mar 29, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by hybris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm all for hifi as a hobby, and when I change stuff in my setup, I deliberately DO NOT perform any blind testing, as I know I will find the difference to be much bigger if I don't. It's a bit like looking at a magic show. You know the guy doing the tricks is good, but not THAT good - but you don't wanna spoil the fun for yourself.

I just think there's a limit to everything. If someone thinks 1800USD worth of power cables is a valuable addition to their stereo setup I must admit that it is very hard not to attempt to "save them from themselves" (even though I should know they're lost cases by then)..

If you want to improve the performance of your stereo and you add this
l_8b5dc6ff038e40bd8a7f53c3afbb12a6.jpg

It's about like adding this to your car:
rice-boy-civic2.jpg

I'm sure it looks good (to some people) - but that's about it.
smily_headphones1.gif
The guy with the Civic probably ruined what little his car had in terms of aerodynamics - looking at that power cable I'm not totally convinced that the guy who bought that didn't decrease the performance of his setup as well..
wink.gif

I hope those aren't ferrite beads on that power cable....

Mar 29, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by fsma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope those aren't ferrite beads on that power cable....

I tried ferrite cores on my power cable, apart from adding some 5K - 13K noise it made no measurable difference

Mar 29, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by deaconblues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Intrude? Look at the OP's post. It's about whether or not cables make a difference and whether certain music can highlight the differences. The OP has even stated that in his attempts so far, he has been unable to hear a difference. To confirm the OP's stated initial impressions is hardly an intrusion.

This is a public forum. If you're out in public, and someone is screaming and yelling, or acting obnoxious, there's not much you can do. And such people always have excuses for their behavior, just like you. You know what the fair import of the OP's post was, and you're just reinterpreting to suit your agenda. Go on and continue to be rude, and act like a troll. I'm doing what you do when you encounter someone obnoxious in public; you just move away from them.

P.S. If the OP needs further suggestions about reference music, I suggest he start a new thread, and add a disclaimer or statement that he doesn't want to hear from the anti-cable trolls. Then we could report intrusions to the mods. It looks like these types of disclaimers or warnings is the only way to combat the ever-increasing number of trolls on Head-Fi.
frown.gif

Mar 29, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #27 of 36
My take is that if you have to run a bunch of carefully controlled listening sessions to hear a difference, then you're probably better off buying the cheap cable and just enjoying the music.

That cables are marked up hundreds, if not thousands, of percent should also be known to new users. Cryo costs about $4, not $400. I haven't seen an explanation or justification other than extreme profits.

Also relevant to new users is the fact that the people who make these extreme profits hire shills and give away free products as advertising. Everyone should understand that the opinion they hear may very well have been bought and paid for.

Traditional advertising is mostly dead. Google advertising agencies and look at their promises for viral marketing and other ways to slip information in without a 30 second spot or a billboard. Everyone knows that sales are generated on the message boards. They know that this is where people come for an "honest opinion from an enthusiast." So they hire, or otherwise compensate, people to come here and generate sales.

When you're making $370 off a $400 cable, you'd be willing to give someone $100 to make the sale, wouldn't you?

Shills eventually get outed, but they make a lot of money before that happens. Last year one got caught after openly whining about a lost commission in a post. This was after denying he had any interest in the company and "only cared about people getting the best sound."

Caveat emptor.

Apr 8, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #28 of 36
my 30 dollar diy power cables are awesome. same thickness as the most expensive stuff and really made a difference in my system. They relaxed the sound and degrained it a bit more than any tube change can do in my dac. The tube changes the tonality more though.

Apr 11, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #29 of 36
I just made a new power cable and this thing sings. I used this cable FURUTECH and this plug Oyaide Power Plug P-037 Silver / Rhodium by Revolution Power and this connector Oyaide 4781BSR Silver / Rhodium IEC Connector by Revolution Power . This does not sound like a Rat Shack cable. It a different sound signature than a 14awg Copper cable with Gold Furutech FI-15 connector and plug. Listening to Postal Service to get the feel of the new cable. I like this more than the the cable made with the Rhodium FI-15 ends and that was my favorite cable with a tube amp. The new one is a home run. If you want to know want to know what gold or Rhodium sounds like just PM me and I will send you a cable to test drive.

Apr 11, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My take is that if you have to run a bunch of carefully controlled listening sessions to hear a difference, then you're probably better off buying the cheap cable and just enjoying the music.

Let's see, it is well-known that you can't decide there is an actual difference unless you run a carefully controlled test. And if you have to run a carefully controlled test to hear a difference, the upgrade is not worth it. Sounds like some sort of catch-22.
confused_face_2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back