What Really Grinds Your (Head-Fi) Gears?
Apr 18, 2012 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

Leon Dota

100+ Head-Fier
You know what really grinds my gears?

The fact that a lot of kids (college 'kids' too) call any and every form of Electronica 'Dubstep.' I was in my apartment, listening to Trance, and a classmate that was visiting went

"Wow man, this is the most boring Dubstep I've ever heard in my life. There ain't even any drops or wubwubs or stuff."

Apr 18, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #2 of 54
Don't mean to sound hip, but I got Into dubstep before it was all crap. Nowadays, I mostly just shake my head.

Currently the staph infection on/in my face is grinding my gears.

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #3 of 54
I don't hear the 'Dubstep' comment...I guess it's different now. The one that bugs me is 'Techno'. 

'Oh so you like Techno music?'
'No...Just...'

The other thing grinding my head-fi gears is my lack of portable headphones at the moment. I have to hang out at Barnes & Nobles tonight for a few hours after work and have no headphones...

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #4 of 54
People who believe Dr. Dre uses Beats to record/master/etc. his albums with.

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #5 of 54
People who say headphones with massive amounts of bass have no bass bleed into the mids...or how the HD-600 is some sort of flat studio monitor..

Or how the Q701 requires a 1 ohm output to sound best. If it doesn't have that, then it's automatically assumed it's sound will be massively distorted.
I'm tired of hearing how the Q701 should "technically" sound best from a portable amp.

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #6 of 54
I don't hear the 'Dubstep' comment...I guess it's different now. The one that bugs me is 'Techno'. 

'Oh so you like Techno music?'
'No...Just...'

The other thing grinding my head-fi gears is my lack of portable headphones at the moment. I have to hang out at Barnes & Nobles tonight for a few hours after work and have no headphones...

Yup, I've heard that several times

Pick up some Blox m2c. And a small player like the clip, you'll never be without music again.

People who believe Dr. Dre uses Beats to record/master/etc. his albums with.

Lol! My nephew wanted beats. I told him I would toss him out the upstairs window.

People who say headphones with massive amounts of bass have no bass bleed into the mids...or how the HD-600 is some sort of flat studio monitor..

Or how the Q701 requires a 1 ohm output to sound best. If it doesn't have that, then it's automatically assumed it's sound will be massively distorted.
I'm tired of hearing how the Q701 should "technically" sound best from a portable amp.

lol at 1 ohm.

Apr 18, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #7 of 54
The other thing grinding my head-fi gears is my lack of portable headphones at the moment.

Me too. When I got Westone 2s I gave my PK3s to my brother. I broke my W2s and have no backups. Wish I had those PK3s. I should buy another pair until I get some customs.
Also, beats troll threads.

Apr 18, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #8 of 54
The other thing grinding my head-fi gears is my lack of portable headphones at the moment.

Me too. When I got Westone 2s I gave my PK3s to my brother. I broke my W2s and have no backups. Wish I had those PK3s. I should buy another pair until I get some customs.
Also, beats troll threads.

I can't wear IEMs or I'd get customs and be done...

I'm leaning toward the Ultrasone Signature Pro as my home closed can and portable end game.

Apr 18, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #9 of 54
I'm leaning toward the Ultrasone Signature Pro as my home closed can and portable end game.

Those look really nice. My Thunderpants arrive today. Too big for portable use but they will take care of my closed needs.

OT in case derailment grinds anybody's gears:

Apr 18, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #10 of 54
Shallow ear pads. WHY?! After a while I felt like my ears are being bitten off or slowly chewed away by daemonic kittens. 
angry_face.gif

Apr 19, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #11 of 54

Quote:

I actually ended up buying Senn HD598's instead of Q701's because I was told they were ridiculously difficult to drive :|

I can only wonder what could have been. I am very much enjoying the Senn's though.

-----

You know what really grinds my gears?

The fact that it's just not socially acceptable to karate-chop Beats Solos that people are wearing to watch them snap in half and teach them a dang lesson in consumerism.

Apr 19, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #12 of 54
Badly produced music.
Loudness Wars.
'hidden tracks' where the artist leaves a 10minute gap after a track then puts a 1minute song on the end. No I don't find that interesting, it's bullsh*t.
People complaining about Opeths Heritage in the 'Lets talk Metal' thread. Just because they can't wrap their heads around the fact that it's not br00tal enough for them. Artists aren't confined to one sound by their fans, fans are confined to one sound by their ignorance.

Apr 19, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #13 of 54

Quote:
Badly produced music.
Loudness Wars.
'hidden tracks' where the artist leaves a 10minute gap after a track then puts a 1minute song on the end. No I don't find that interesting, it's bullsh*t.
People complaining about Opeths Heritage in the 'Lets talk Metal' thread. Just because they can't wrap their heads around the fact that it's not br00tal enough for them. Artists aren't confined to one sound by their fans, fans are confined to one sound by their ignorance.

+1 To all of this. I dispise it when I can't find a good 320kbps mastered version of an album :|

Also, yeah, hidden tracks are pretty annoying to me too. Just make it another track, man. I guess it made a lot more sense on records, tapes, and CDs.

And really? Butthurt fans over Opeth's...heritage? Fack, man, that shouldn't matter. It's not like they write their songs about their heritage. Sheesh.

Apr 19, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #14 of 54

Quote:
Badly produced music.
Loudness Wars.

Oh, I despise hidden tracks. Especially when I'm listening to music while trying to take a nap and after 5 minutes of silence, the hidden song pops out of the blue and ruins my sleep.

Apr 19, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #15 of 54
I stated this in another thread, but I forget where. But anyways, it really grinds my gears when people don't get the concept of "I have headphones on/in, so I can't hear you". I'll usually be listening to music, someone will start talking to me, I will then notice them talking to me, and remove my headphones and ask "what?" Then, they start snickering because "LOL he couldn't hear me!!!!11!1"

YOU DON'T SAY!? Obviously, when there is an object covering my ears and playing music, it would be best to assume that I can't hear you. So, if you'd like to talk to me tap me on the shoulder or make some sort of 'remove your headphones' type gesture THEN talk to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back