What rate do you rip your music at ?
Sep 14, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #31 of 53
EAC secure mode w/ AccurateRip out to FLAC...through WINE
ph34r.gif

Sep 14, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #33 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim359 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's some advice for picking which format to use:

1 Rip the cd at wav format and then make a copy of one song off of that cd at a lower rate, say 128.

2 In iTunes, make a playlist with the two copies of the song and select the loop playlist option on the bottom left of the screen.

3 Press the next track button (or the right arrow key on your keyboard) multiple times so that you don't know which song is selected.

4 Press Play and try to identify which copy it is.

If you can repeatedly identify the copy, then you should go with a copy at a higher bit rate than the lower one. Repeat this procedure with a copy at a higher bit rate (say 192, then 256, then 320, etc.) until you can't tell the difference between the wav formated copy and the copy with the lower bit rate. To save space go with the copy with the lower bit rate.

Another thought; when doing this procedure, use your highest fidelity set of speakers or headphones, as you may be able to distinguish between different formats better on one set than on the other.

That's one of the best descriptions of a simple blind test I've seen. I tried to do something similar a year or two ago, but your blind system is better than the one I used.

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #34 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott549 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's one of the best descriptions of a simple blind test I've seen. I tried to do something similar a year or two ago, but your blind system is better than the one I used.

or, you could just use foobar2000, which has ABX blind-testing built-in, complete with statistics
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #35 of 53
I prefer flac for archiving purposes and for my portable player I like ogg -q3-5 ~ 112-160 kbps (aoTuV beta 5.5). It feels good with a little safety margin, but I usually cannot tell the original from -q3.

Sep 15, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #36 of 53
256 AAC stored on my hard drive. Lossless stored in a box ready to be placed into a CD player when needed. I guess I've never quite understood why people rip lossless. Hard drive space, while getting cheaper, is still more expensive than a box in the closet.

Sep 15, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #38 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
256 AAC stored on my hard drive. Lossless stored in a box ready to be placed into a CD player when needed. I guess I've never quite understood why people rip lossless. Hard drive space, while getting cheaper, is still more expensive than a box in the closet.

...and a box in the cloest is really hard to pull over the LAN (unless by box you mean a file server). CD players are maybe for that first playback. From then on, it's software PC players, DAPs, the Squeezebox, etc..

Ripping losssless with a good ripper means being done with that CD, for all purposes related to the audio data on it. It can go back to being a physical backup.

Sep 15, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #39 of 53
500kbp VBR ogg i just got a new 16GB SDHC card for my D2so im living it up now :p

Sep 15, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #40 of 53
I rip, and listen to Apple Lossless. I only do it for psychological reasons, because if I go to a lower bitrate i think my head will tell me something different from what my ears actually hear, if that makes any sense...
wink.gif

Sep 15, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #41 of 53
FLAC for CDs ive ripped, SHN for lots of live shows off DATs and VBR MP3 to load up the iPod on the go.

Sep 15, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #42 of 53
I use 192kbps wma, which is an almost identical codec to aac. To me 192kbps wma/aac sounds similar to 320kbps mp3, with the bass and treble flagging very, very slightly.

mp3 is just junk when it comes to congested music. My friend claims to be able to listen to fantasy metal at 128kbps mp3 with almost complete transparency. I simply cannot agree with that unless his phones cost 5p, because at that bit depth you're going to be struggling to reproduce 'polyrhythmic bass' or whatever it's called as the blocks just aren't long enough or have a sufficient bit reservoir. They will get full straight away and have to throw away data instead of trying to encode it, as it'll go over the 128k allowance very easily.

Listen to something with sub-bass, or anything with a complex low end, and encode it with 128k and 320k mp3. There is a huge difference. Well, there is for me, as most of the stuff I listen to comes from hybridized.org :: Welcome
bigsmile_face.gif

Check MP3 - Hydrogenaudio Knowledgebase for more info. If you know much about FFT's this guide should be easy!

Sep 15, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #44 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by ben. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use 192kbps wma, which is an almost identical codec to aac. To me 192kbps wma/aac sounds similar to 320kbps mp3, with the bass and treble flagging very, very slightly.

mp3 is just junk when it comes to congested music. My friend claims to be able to listen to fantasy metal at 128kbps mp3 with almost complete transparency. I simply cannot agree with that unless his phones cost 5p, because at that bit depth you're going to be struggling to reproduce 'polyrhythmic bass' or whatever it's called as the blocks just aren't long enough or have a sufficient bit reservoir. They will get full straight away and have to throw away data instead of trying to encode it, as it'll go over the 128k allowance very easily.

Listen to something with sub-bass, or anything with a complex low end, and encode it with 128k and 320k mp3. There is a huge difference. Well, there is for me, as most of the stuff I listen to comes from hybridized.org :: Welcome
bigsmile_face.gif

Check MP3 - Hydrogenaudio Knowledgebase for more info. If you know much about FFT's this guide should be easy!

i rip 160 aac, and i've tried 192. I really cant' tell much of a difference.

Tonight, I'm going to rip beethoven's 3rd symphony at 320 AAC and see if I can tell any difference on my iPhone.

I hope I can't because I only have 8 gigs
smily_headphones1.gif
(7 really as the firmware takes up a ton of space).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back