What rate do you rip your music at ?
Sep 13, 2008 at 7:24 AM Post #16 of 53
lame -v4 -k

Sep 13, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #17 of 53
The best option is to rip to FLAc so then you won't have to re-rip in the future.
To pop them onto a DAP, use a program like Winamp that will transcode for you (on the fly), and you can set the option of what bitrate etc

Sep 13, 2008 at 10:07 AM Post #21 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Malux /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So that begs the question: what do you rip your music at and can you really, really tell a difference?

You mean "raises" the question. "Begging the question" refers to the petitio principii, a logical fallacy. For example, "I believe Bob is an honest man, because Bob claims to be an honest man." This argument begs the question, as the truth of the proposition "Bob is honest" is here contingent upon the same proposition "Bob is honest" (or "Bob tells the truth", anyway).

Back to the questions:

1. Apple Lossless on my MacBook. 320kbps AAC on my iPod Touch.
2. I can easily tell the difference between 128 mp3 and 320 AAC via my Denon C551s and D1001s. The 320 AAC v. Lossless difference is much more subtle to me.

Nothing in 2. should be taken as criticism against mp3. I've just never compared anything else (e.g., 128 AAC v. 320 AAC, 320 mp3 v. 320 AAC).

Sep 13, 2008 at 12:08 PM Post #22 of 53
FLAC here for home and archive

OGG v5 for portable (Encoded on the fly in Media Monkey)

Not sure what I will settle on when my iPod arrives...

Paul

Sep 13, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #23 of 53
FLAC nowadays for archival purposes. And FLAC for my ipod for peace of mind
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #24 of 53
Here's some advice for picking which format to use:

1 Rip the cd at wav format and then make a copy of one song off of that cd at a lower rate, say 128.

2 In iTunes, make a playlist with the two copies of the song and select the loop playlist option on the bottom left of the screen.

3 Press the next track button (or the right arrow key on your keyboard) multiple times so that you don't know which song is selected.

4 Press Play and try to identify which copy it is.

If you can repeatedly identify the copy, then you should go with a copy at a higher bit rate than the lower one. Repeat this procedure with a copy at a higher bit rate (say 192, then 256, then 320, etc.) until you can't tell the difference between the wav formated copy and the copy with the lower bit rate. To save space go with the copy with the lower bit rate.

Another thought; when doing this procedure, use your highest fidelity set of speakers or headphones, as you may be able to distinguish between different formats better on one set than on the other.

Sep 13, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #27 of 53
I'll sieze this opportunity to raise a few questions me thinks.
wink.gif
. Firstly, however, my system is, atm, buy and recieve CD(s), rip to .FLAC for storage purposes and playback on laptop via EAC, (batch) covert to 320 Kbps CBR LAME mp3 via Dbpoweramp. Media centre/used for music playback with laptop, Media Monkey, next, used for ID3 tagging of concerned files and then transferation of mp3 files to DAP. I will consider goin to a lower bitrate than 320 bps mp3 for space benefits at some point, but atm I'm happy, as I can till fit approx 110 albums at 320 kbps on my 16 GB (really 14.7 GB, minus firmware etc) sony DAP. Not bad IMO.

Ok. So onto my queries:

Already asked in 'Computer Audio' section of forums, but my EAC has stopped connecting to freedb and so is now having absolutely zero success at recognising a CD and tagging it. It's frustrating, because I like to rip with EAC because I understand it's the elite ripper out there and having it recognise and tag some albums would save me time. I have checked that the freedb supporting program, EAC, is pointing in the right place ie towards freedb.org, but still never any recognition when ripping a CD? Any ideas anyone?

Next one. I understand you can get Dbpoweramp to tag albums as you rip CDs with this program. However, can you utilise the same facility as you convert files with this program? That would be great for my current system, if possible, but I can't see an onbvious way to achieve this when (batch) converting from .FLAC to 320 Kbps mp3 with this program. Any ideas?

Last query, again, posted thread about it in 'Computer Audio' section of forums. My last stage, using media monkey to transfer files/end product to DAP, I am currently having to transfer one album/folder at a time, which is not ideal (takes time and attention ie can't set as one task and walk away while completes and/or do or get committed to another task). Anyone know a methiod of batch transferring with Media Monkey?

Sep 14, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #30 of 53
I keep lossless copies of all my CDs on the computer for archival purposes - my Zen receives LAME V0 transcodings of those. With my current gear, I can't discern a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back