What proportion of cash should one devote to interconnects?
Jan 28, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #136 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I presume that chickens lay round eggs without examining every henhouse on the planet?

See ya
Steve

There are variations in eggs too.
wink.gif
small, large...and i think every kind of chicken produces their own specific egg.
tongue.gif

Jan 28, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #137 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent! You listened for yourself and decided what works for you (and what doesn't work for you). This is the best way to go about it, as opposed to deciding what you should do based on what others (some of whom have never done their own listening) tell you MUST be the case. Kudos for making up your own mind and deciding what is best in your case. That's what everybody with an open mind does.
wink.gif

yup, it's all in listening and experimenting...

some are lazy and just wanna have a solution ready made...unless you do all the listening and matching yourself..you never gonna get the synergy you want. You gotta put some time in it!

Jan 28, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #138 of 159
Quote:

You're not distorting the signal... you're returning it to the proper balance. The headphone/speaker/room acoustics are the elements producing the distortion, not the equalization.

Headphones, speakers and room acoustics are the three elements that cause 90% of sound quality problems in home audio systems- ALL systems, no matter how much they cost. Buying high end cables and not dealing with the response of your system is like giving a haircut to someone who's having a heart attack. It's nice, but it ain't gonna help the situation any.

See ya
Steve

True, i understand that...but headphones don't suffer from accoustics(not to a degree speakers do)...i do believe however that they limit the equipment somewhat and are not up to notch yet...as some speaker systems are...but we'll see what this year brings and especially what sennheisers new baby will be...i hear it's something new and very interesting...

But you can make it worse with eq if you emphazise a certain frequency...i understand you manipulate the volume of a certain frequency so it is not over emphazised bij the room accoustics...if i understand correctly, you just turn the volume harder or softer because room accoustics can emphazise some frequencies or consume frequencies so they're gone...it's like more gain or less gain, but then on a frequency level...

Jan 28, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #139 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by KrooLism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One metre to be anything near practical.

The Aleph 3 requires one foot of space clearance on all sides.

I see you listen to electronica. A silver plated interconnect is the way to go! It makes everything sound distinct.

I have a couple 1 meter Nordost Vishnu power cables that you can try as interconnects. 60 microns silver plating with Micro Mono-Filaments. This is a great temporary cable until you can afford the Valhalla. When you get the Valhalla you can use the Vishnus as power cords.
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...&postcount=103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vishnu sounded very heavy and smoother than Valkyrja, I liked it better at first but it quickly became fatiguing from the heavy bass. Vocals sounded more realistic but low-level detail was lacking badly. Many will love this sound.

Do you know how to use a soldering iron? I could include Eichmann Bullet connectors but they could come loose from twisting the cable. Vishnu is too fat to put inside the connector casing that holds it together.

Jan 29, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #140 of 159
Quote:

I see you listen to electronica. A silver plated interconnect is the way to go! It makes everything sound distinct.

I have a couple 1 meter Nordost Vishnu power cables that you can try as interconnects. 60 microns silver plating with Micro Mono-Filaments. This is a great temporary cable until you can afford the Valhalla. When you get the Valhalla you can use the Vishnus as power cords.
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...&postcount=103

Do you know how to use a soldering iron? I could include Eichmann Bullet connectors but they could come loose from twisting the cable. Vishnu is too fat to put inside the connector casing that holds it together.

Patrick, while i own myself Nordost interlinks( and really appreciate them)...i still wanna urge that Valhalla or Nordost cables wouldn't be everybody's cup of tea or ideal for everybody...

I am referring to a review of Nordost valkyrja and valhalla interlinks where the valkyrja's sounded perfect in that system, the reviewer hated the valhalla's and stated that he couldn't make em sound good in his system!

I think the PS audio for 400 dollars is a perfect starting point and if i have to believe the reviews, is an increadable cable...if any...he won't miss much with this cable...

Jan 29, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #141 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are variations in eggs too.
wink.gif
small, large...and i think every kind of chicken produces their own specific egg.
tongue.gif

I bet you can't find a chicken that lays duck eggs!

See ya
Steve

Jan 29, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #142 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True, i understand that...but headphones don't suffer from accoustics(not to a degree speakers do).

No headphone has a completely flat response. However, they are a lot flatter than speakers are. An equalizer is optional for a headphone setup.

But you can make it worse with eq if you emphazise a certain frequency.[/QUOTE]

Generally, you equalize subtractively- you don't emphasize any frequency. You de-emphasize the others to balance it out. With a good equalizer, there is no added noise if you EQ this way.

See ya
Steve

Jan 29, 2007 at 12:35 PM Post #145 of 159
Quote:

What if the duck is disguised as a chicken?

Wouldn't need to. The duck would just have to root the rooster.

Well - the egg will be half chicken anyway.

Oh - and back on topic, I love DIY, but I'm not going to in the case of cables.

I'm leaning towards an Audioquest cable with DBS. Has anyone tried them or have any reviews? From what I have sampled myself, the shielding gives a much cleaner signal a good conductor should be able to transfer almost 100% of the information.

Jan 29, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #146 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by KrooLism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't need to. The duck would just have to root the rooster.

Well - the egg will be half chicken anyway.

Oh - and back on topic, I love DIY, but I'm not going to in the case of cables.

I'm leaning towards an Audioquest cable with DBS. Has anyone tried them or have any reviews? From what I have sampled myself, the shielding gives a much cleaner signal a good conductor should be able to transfer almost 100% of the information.

I did alot of diy and my tests are just the opposite...if you remove the shielding then the signal is getting much clearer. But i think the audioquest cables work a bit different....

Jan 29, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #147 of 159
Quote:

I bet you can't find a chicken that lays duck eggs!

See ya
Steve

Who's talking about ducks...
cool.gif

There are different variaties of chickens, every variaty has it's own specific egg; look in the supermarket at the eggs section, you will see white eggs, small eggs, large eggs and lastly brown eggs...i understand even the type of food has something to do with it.
blink.gif
tongue.gif

Jan 29, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #148 of 159
Quote:

No headphone has a completely flat response. However, they are a lot flatter than speakers are. An equalizer is optional for a headphone setup.

But you can make it worse with eq if you emphazise a certain frequency.

Generally, you equalize subtractively- you don't emphasize any frequency. You de-emphasize the others to balance it out. With a good equalizer, there is no added noise if you EQ this way.

See ya
Steve[/QUOTE]

Not necessarrily; an equalizer has frequency ranges you can adjust...the scale goes mostly from + 12 to - 12 in a certain frequency range...so you can de-emphazise but you can also boost the frequency by adding more gain(+1+12)..if i use any setting between zero and 12 i boost that certain frequency...zero is neutral though, use i anything between -1 and -12, i de-emphazise the frequency.

Mostly you can also set the main level from -24 to 0db...so the output is higher or lower(gain). So in all you can make frequencies louder or less loud and also set the main output louder or less loud.

Jan 29, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #149 of 159
Tourmaline, what he means is that it is a bad idea to amplify/boost frequencies with an EQ because it can cause clipping and distortion, whereas attenuating them doesn't. If you want to make the bass louder, then cut out some treble and middle and boost the volume at the power stage - don't leave everything else flat and amplify bass with an EQ.

Jan 29, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #150 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tourmaline, what he means is that it is a bad idea to amplify/boost frequencies with an EQ because it can cause clipping and distortion, whereas attenuating them doesn't. If you want to make the bass louder, then cut out some treble and middle and boost the volume at the power stage - don't leave everything else flat and amplify bass with an EQ.

Ok, thanks to clear that one up for me....i already thought..it IS possible to emphazise any frequency but if you put it that way, it might be better, yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back