What "product" that doesn' t yet exist would you like for your set up?
Sep 4, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:
X2  
Of music that I've actually heard of, not just old people music. 

I'd like that as well. A webstore with a huge assortment of music with all kinds of genres, mainstream or otherwise, decent interface, myriad of formats to suit everyone's needs, no DRM bullsh*t, reasonable prices, the ability to redownload the music that I own in case of HD crashes or whatever. Oh, and no flash, please. Is it really too much to ask? Hear that RIAA? I want to pay, let me buy your music instead of whining about piracy, suing people and trying to control the internet. It's really that simple.

Sep 4, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #18 of 29
some sort of virtual opamp, or an opamp w/ a built-in digital EQ...or maybe some way to inject the color you want via .project files in order to change the way it'll sound.

Sep 4, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #19 of 29
Like adding hardware to "scrobbling"...

Quote:
This is really strange as when walking I started think about a piece of gear that would be really cool to have.

This box would be all in one. It would have a small computer on board much like an XBox 360. You would plug this thing in at your house and get it an hooked up on line. At that point it would contact it's home server which would validate the unit. 

This unit would come with one pair of headphones and the ability to buy a second pair which could also be played at the same time. What is so amazing about this unit is it was completely designed to fit together. The unit has a hard drive to store music, the unit has a dedicated D/A converter which is both matched to the headphones and amp. There is a volume knob but really not much else except an HDMI cord which goes to your TV or monitor so you can read the play list of songs.

The music which this unit played would come from many of the majors like Columbia, RCA, Sony and they would also find it a great platform to introduce new bands and classical recordings to the listeners. It would be like the radio where you could have channels of stuff playing all day long but you could also choose albums and download them to the player. There would be an output so people could hook it up to an amp and speakers. The main goal though would be the perfect balance it had with headphones. All the volume levels would be level so even when changing songs the volume would be normalized and maxed out for best SQ.

There would be hard wire cables all inside so no worry about RCAs. It would come with it's own power filter and power regenerator which would prove great level power and run off 110 and 220 just by a switch so the one they make would fit the whole world with it's power needs. Each place in the world would have it's own plug, but the device would stay the same.

There would be no way to get the music out digitally so information rights people would love it. There would be no way to modify the sound as everything would be inside the box. The great reason it would sell is because of economy of volume they make millions and pass the savings off the the consumer and it's subsidized by the record companies due to being the perfect way to sell music to one person and one person only.

There would be no device that you could buy that would cost $200.00 usd and sound like a $6000.00 Head-Fi custom rig. People with no interest in technology would love the simplicity of use and set up. This thing would look like an XBox 360 but have a dedicated headphone plug only for it's own type of headphones. There would also be EQ and sound presets for the folks into that. It would be quiet and run cool but need airspace around it much like an Xbox 360. People could also share play lists and EQ presets on line. It would integrate with a forum like Head-Fi where people could see what other people were listening to in real time, much like our "What are you listening to thread", only it would be automatic.

Music would be also rated among the listeners and lists would show how many people were playing a certain song or album. This would increase the exposure of new bands and classical recordings over the network and allow for it's own mini resale hub which would be self- generating along with small write ups which could also be installed onto the song monitor which is on line and you find the song or album by. 

Think of this device as a musical Head-Fi and an amp and headphone rig all connected up on line with it's own Head-fi site and hard disk.

Sep 4, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #20 of 29

Quote:
Like adding hardware to "scrobbling"...

When Microsoft made the Xbox they didn't have a ton of profit in the sale of the device. The same if I remember was true for Sony with a Playstation release. They planned on making up the lost profit on the games sold down the line. It may be just a matter of time till DRM becomes a reality for everyone, maybe not? This gets really good headphones, amp and a computer to people for the price of a pair of mid/fi headphones. 

Microsoft could do it. Sony could do it. The only way it would work is with dedicated headphones and device. The only problem is people may not like the lack of ability of the music being non-portable. They could work around that maybe. Any music becoming portable though seems like it would bypass the DRM. Maybe they could sell a portable module as an extra purchase.

The reason it would sell is the units would be everywhere. Every Wallmart, every Target would have a unit to demo. If people could get free music streaming, also current music to listen to and play a new hit song once or twice plus the ability to download the music and find popular songs and hit albums directly from the listening community it seems like it would be popular. It would by pass much over hype of recording artists and let the music that was good make it to the top. It would change the Head-Fi and musical community.

If a person went to get a pair of headphones and saw this whole unit for the same price, plus it sounded better than anything out there, they would buy it. This would be an Xbox for music. Don't tell me they couldn't put a Burson Audio HA160D with an I-Pod Touch in a little box and stream a dedicated headphone line out to a generic pair of AH-D 7000s for $200.00 usd if they made 50,000,000 of em. The only way it would pay for itself would be from music downloads in the future.

The other plus is after a while the captive audience factor would be so much pressure to the indies that they would jump on the bandwagon too. Then this unit would have all the new music in the world coming through it.

The one issue would be trying to figure out how to handle the buyers old music collection? I would still make it closed and unable to play old files. With so much unpaid for music out there once DRM starts to take control people will not have a collection to get to anyway. 

Sep 5, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #21 of 29
A High fidelty directed sound speaker set that can be played without disturbing other at good sound levels. Carver corperation was actually working  on this before it went belly up. It utilized ultra high frequency carrier waves the were tightly focused allong with equally high frquency program material also tightly focused so when the two sound waves hit the ear they created beats that dumped the program material back down into the audio band to be heard by the intended person but not others. It seemed though they had problems getting sufficient fidelity out of this technology. The bandwidth was there but still not high enough qualty.

This would be nice in order to listen to music privately without the discomfot of headphones.

Sep 5, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

(...) The other plus is after a while the captive audience factor would be so much pressure to the indies that they would jump on the bandwagon too. (...)

The one issue would be trying to figure out how to handle the buyers old music collection? I would still make it closed and unable to play old files. With so much unpaid for music out there once DRM starts to take control people will not have a collection to get to anyway. 

That's a terrible, terrible idea. I can already imagine an upgraded version that comes out two or three years later and makes your entire music collection completely worthless, because it is not backwards compatible for some reason. Maybe they've come up with a stronger way to handle DRM and it's impossible to convert the old versions of the files? Seems plausible, and the music industry would LOVE it. The idea of pushing the same exact thing down your customer's throat and make him pay for it over and over again is just marvelous.

I don't understand why any avid music listener would picture more DRM and one company handling everything / monopolizing the market as a good thing. I don't accept the vision of the future where the music industry gets it their way, puts their greedy paws on what we call indie music (which is doing better than ever, thank you, and doesn't need that kind of "help"; there are tons of independent labels, websites, webstores where you can download indie, undeground, obscure music, often for free if they're just starting out, that's probably never going to be played on the radio, and more often than not, it's easier to buy it in whatever digital formats you like without any hassle, third party applications or DRM,) and gets their customer base in a chokehold.

Besides, it'd only be a matter of time until it got unlocked, at which point people would be able to simply download ripped FLACs and then put them on their silly, music playing console anyway. Their DRM accounts would promptly get banned as a result and they could never get online again with that particular piece of music playing equipment -- the horror.

Sep 5, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #23 of 29
Window size foam that can be pushed into a window frame to block out or greatly lessen outside noise to enjoy ones audio pleasures more.

Krank it audio and computer equipment for those power outage times. Just turn the lever a few times and its charged up to run for a few hours.

Computer monitor that can be as small or as big as one wants it to be thanks to being made of a highly flexible foldable material.

Sep 5, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #24 of 29

Quote:
Quote:

(...) The other plus is after a while the captive audience factor would be so much pressure to the indies that they would jump on the bandwagon too. (...)

That's a terrible, terrible idea. I can already imagine an upgraded version that comes out two or three years later and makes your entire music collection completely worthless, because it is not backwards compatible for some reason. Maybe they've come up with a stronger way to handle DRM and it's impossible to convert the old versions of the files? Seems plausible, and the music industry would LOVE it. The idea of pushing the same exact thing down your customer's throat and make him pay for it over and over again is just marvelous.

I don't understand why any avid music listener would picture more DRM and one company handling everything / monopolizing the market as a good thing. I don't accept the vision of the future where the music industry gets it their way, puts their greedy paws on what we call indie music (which is doing better than ever, thank you, and doesn't need that kind of "help"; there are tons of independent labels, websites, webstores where you can download indie, undeground, obscure music, often for free if they're just starting out, that's probably never going to be played on the radio, and more often than not, it's easier to buy it in whatever digital formats you like without any hassle, third party applications or DRM,) and gets their customer base in a chokehold.

Besides, it'd only be a matter of time until it got unlocked, at which point people would be able to simply download ripped FLACs and then put them on their silly, music playing console anyway. Their DRM accounts would promptly get banned as a result and they could never get online again with that particular piece of music playing equipment -- the horror.

Yes, I see you read my post completely. When you go over to a friends house and they play an Mp3 which came from who knows where it has skips and drop outs. they say, "I dno got it from a site." Thats is where this whole music quality issue is going. Where will it be 5 years from now when these same people are playing copies of other files degraded 5 years later?

You can not have an industry that has no income without quality starting to drop. I think music has been great the last 20 years. I am not sure about the next 20 years. Live music will always be around and you will be able to buy a home recorded guitar and singing album from the person on the street.

There was a time when you could only listen to a record if you had a record player. If your friend wanted to hear the record at his or her house they could borrow the record or buy one too. This was the form of DRM that worked and built an industry.

The market would not be monopolized if the people buying the music had control over the popularity. The record companies are only furnishing the music. Remember in this platform they make the money on any song not just the songs or the artists they want to promote, that's the magic! You think that maybe the indie lables would loose out but the indie lables would actually win the most because so much indie music has been lost due to how it was distributed. The indie companies never were able to get the music to all the resale hubs. This box is a giant resale hub. The small borderline bands and indie companies would thrive because they would be paid fairly. 

The other things that I see 10 years down the road is heavy DRM. There will be a time when Windows 10 or Snow Lion 5 will look at MP3 sources and not let you load your I-Pod. Yes there is always a way to bypass a machine like this one, but why would you if the music was free on some channels and really low cost on downloads. The reason that it would take a while to be hacked  is because the files would have an advanced code not letting files to be played on any player but THE BOX.

I added up the money I spent on my original music collection and it came out to be a solid year of work and income on my part. Life always changes and there is no stopping that. I guess I miss the record stores of the 2000s. This brings that excitement back to a certain level. About half of my music is limited issue indie releases and I picked them up at an underground record store. Most places like that are gone now. This gets the music to the people with zero hype. 

Sep 5, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:
When you go over to a friends house and they play an Mp3 which came from who knows where it has skips and drop outs. they say, "I dno got it from a site." Thats is where this whole music quality issue is going. Where will it be 5 years from now when these same people are playing copies of other files degraded 5 years later?

You can not have an industry that has no income without quality starting to drop. I think music has been great the last 20 years. I am not sure about the next 20 years. Live music will always be around and you will be able to buy a home recorded guitar and singing album from the person on the street.

I see what you mean, but the problem here is that most people just don't care about how their music sounds, as long as it's loud. My brother, for example, whom I've tried to get interested in quality music listening equipment is perfectly happy with his "vanilla" iPod earbuds or blasting his terrible sounding 128kbps MP3s through his tiny, tinny built-in laptop speakers... I'd wager that he's pretty much the epitome of your average music listener. Therefore I don't think that any kind of cheap, "plug-n-play" audiophile equipment for the masses or heavy DRM would change anything in this regard. It's kind of like saying that investing money in producing more quality cinema, instead of constantly churning out some popcorn trash without any artistic value whatsoever, would get your average movie goer interested in seeing something a little more sophisticated than yet another Adam Sandler comedy. No, doesn't work that way. Most people like crap.

I pay for my music. I prefer to buy in digital formats, though I also buy CDs whenever getting something I want in FLAC/Wave is not an option and then rip them, convert them to FLAC and 320kbps for my portable player. I don't need DRM telling me how and where to listen to the music I paid for. More often than not, music released by the biggest labels sounds awful. I actually stopped listening to a couple of bands that I liked because I couldn't get over how bad their CDs sounded (hi, loudness war.) What's the problem here? What's their excuse? Would heavy DRM improve the quality of their recordings in any way? How's it possible for bands that are just starting out to release their music on tiny labels and actually not sound like garbage? No, the music industry doesn't need more power or more money. What they need to do is to deliver exactly the kind of product that we, the paying customers who care about music, want and that's that. Screw DRM.

Sep 5, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #26 of 29
The studio Decrapifier SX6900BJ.

It automatically takes any music and magically de-brickwalls it, restoring full dynamic range, then restores any other problems while EQ'ing the music to sound natural. It does everything in real time too!

Sep 5, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

It automatically takes any music and magically de-brickwalls it, restoring full dynamic range, then restores any other problems while EQ'ing the music to sound natural. It does everything in real time too!

Can it restore lossy files to bit-perfect lossless too? 
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #28 of 29
Now that is something I would be interested in! 

Since it's a "De"-crapifier I'm not sure if this would fit in Schitt's product line... :)

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back