What powerful amp/dac combo around $2-300?
Feb 7, 2011 at 4:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DanielofDenmark

100+ Head-Fier

Hey Head-Fi.org

This is my first thread here, but I've been quite a long time lurker.
I've been searching all over the place, mainly here, looking for headphone amps with built-in DAC's in this price range, but they all seem to be "fine and dandy", yet there are hardly any information on any of the ones I've looked at.

I'm fairly sure I'll be buying Beyerdynamic DT770 600 ohm, so I'll need some power.

The amps I've been looking at:
FiiO E7+E9 Combo
Audio-GD FUN
Maverick Audio D1
Zero DAC

Are there any other suggestions than these? 

Thanks in advance.
Daniel.

Feb 7, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #4 of 11
I believe the Fun was an evolution of the Compass with more flexibility. The compass seems to have been well regarded, but I'm pretty sure it's now discontinued.

I was looking at broadly the same units as you, and ended up deciding on the Audio-GD Sparrow (A version). Supposedly very similar to the Fun but without the flexibility of the swappable modules. 

Feb 7, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #5 of 11

I was talking about the Sparrow, however Super Bowl and timezones resulted in me having gotten no more than 2 hours of sleep for the last 34 hours... 

Forums + No sleep = Bad idea :D

I actually like the design of the Sparrow too, and Audio-GD products seem very well regarded around here...

I will have to look into it :)

Thanks for the input so far guys, however more is appreciated!

Feb 8, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #8 of 11

Sorry for double post.

How would a Little Dot MK II and an external DAC do? Something like the FiiO E7, or something along those lines?
I heard that Tube Amps work excellent with Beyers, but is that also the case with "cheapish" tube amps?

Feb 8, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #9 of 11
I can't comment on the other amps but the FiiO E7/E9 combo will rock your socks for less than $200.

Feb 8, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #10 of 11
+1 on NuForce

I have the udac2 and its great.

Feb 9, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #11 of 11

Sorry for double post.

How would a Little Dot MK II and an external DAC do? Something like the FiiO E7, or something along those lines?

I heard that Tube Amps work excellent with Beyers, but is that also the case with "cheapish" tube amps?

My HF er5 tube amp will drive my Beyers easily & sounds very good too. I'd stay away of cheapy tube amps. You generally get what you pay for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back