What power cords do you like for your high-end headphone amp?
Jun 1, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #17 of 79
1 and 3 are of interest to the audio chain.

The solid ground gives you the lowest friction. Not only can it pass the high amp rating, it has to pass low level current ratings in micro amps.

Jun 1, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #18 of 79
Kimber Kable's PK14 PowerKords are reasonably priced, well shielded and flexible enough to connect to smaller components, such as head-amps. They can also be custom ordered in shorter lengths, such as 2' and 3', which helped me considerably with a more logical organization of my system.

Jun 1, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #19 of 79
 [size=smaller][size=larger]I did some more experimenting with the Shunyata Anaconda CX cords, using a 20-amp Anaconda CX on my Hydra V-Ray II conditioner, (along with another Anaconda CX on my headphone amp), and things are really nice, with warm bass, liquidity, control, grip, but a relaxing flow, and that all-is-right feeling that is my goal. So I am now pretty convinced that the V-Ray with support from Anaconda CXs is probably the way to go. [/size][/size]So I think the new Shunyata CX line is an improvement for amps over the older generations. I still do like the VX on my CD player, though.

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #20 of 79
How can a power cable provide the same improvement on different power supplies?

That's like saying that a particular battery makes all cars perform the same, whether it's an '86 Civic or a 2011 F-150.

It's a pure non-sequitur.

Jun 2, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #21 of 79
Alicorn blessed cryo treated power cords. I've tested many types of cables until I stumbled upon a small Iranian merchant ho managed to escape repression with about a dozen meters of that stuff. It's not produced anymore due to the rarefaction of alicorns. Upon trying those new power cords, it was as if a whole new world opened before my ears, stunning clarity, an intrinsic sense of foot tapping and gorgeous musicality. A recording that used to be lifeless brought tears to my eyes.

I would be willing to sell a meter or two for anybody with good ears (pm me).

Jun 2, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #22 of 79
I love this thread! This may be the most joyful read of the year! Let the truth be known. As soon as enough folks are on the train, a small fraction of people will look like county hicks who will be left with their own small minded thoughts in their own two horse town.

An Alicorn must be the blessed sister to the magic unicorn I keep seeing out side my window.

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #23 of 79

Quote:
I use black IEC cords that came with computers and coffe makers.

I find that equipment with good power supplies employing functional voltage regulators trumps any difference in cables. 

I will go a step further and have to confess to also use white IEC cords.. :)

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #24 of 79
Quote:
 As soon as enough folks are on the train, a small fraction of people will look like county hicks who will be left with their own small minded thoughts in their own two horse town.

This statement applies equally for both camps.

1) To believe something unproven by science in the face of overwhelming fact.

2) To believe only in something that is only factual, real and proven.

Both reasonings are flawed, I personally like to keep objective with an open mind, I respect both camps.  

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #25 of 79

Quote:
This statement applies equally for both camps.

1) To believe something unproven by science in the face of overwhelming fact.

2) To believe only in something that is only factual, real and proven.

Both reasonings are flawed, I personally like to keep objective with an open mind, I respect both camps.  

I'm sorry you have not tried my cords.

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #26 of 79

Quote:

An Alicorn must be the blessed sister to the magic unicorn I keep seeing out side my window.

what? u mean u dont have a magic unicorn like the rest of us? not only do i have a magic unicorn, i's gots some magic 'shrooms & weeds too! dont know what the magic unicorn mite do but i guarantee my magic 'shrooms & weeds will enhance your musical pleasure. i too mite be willing to sell an ounce or two.........
tongue.gif

Jun 2, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #27 of 79

Wow, I don't think you will find many people able to help you on those boards, since you are already dealing with what many of us either can only dream about, or do not care about. I am enjoying a lot my Shunyata Sidewinder CX on the Lavry DA11. It made a considerable improvement to my ears. Which bothers me because I realize that the Lavry PSU is very sensitive to power conditionning. My Sony SCD-555ES is much less sensitive to the use of different power cords. Maybe a second hand shunyata Alpha/VX series would be a nice upgrade from the Sidewinder, since the Anaconda CX line is just soo expensive.

Quote:
 [size=smaller][size=larger]I did some more experimenting with the Shunyata Anaconda CX cords, using a 20-amp Anaconda CX on my Hydra V-Ray II conditioner, (along with another Anaconda CX on my headphone amp), and things are really nice, with warm bass, liquidity, control, grip, but a relaxing flow, and that all-is-right feeling that is my goal. So I am now pretty convinced that the V-Ray with support from Anaconda CXs is probably the way to go. [/size][/size]So I think the new Shunyata CX line is an improvement for amps over the older generations. I still do like the VX on my CD player, though.

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #28 of 79
That's assuming a bog-standard cable has trouble passing current properly, which is very, very rarely the case, even at very low levels.  In combination with a standard wall socket and a standard device IEC socket, solid bronze non-folded against a standard plug will have no functional difference.

Section three only has bearing on safety standards; it makes no difference on the electrical properties of the cable.

Per the standard, there's nothing about a medical-grade power cord that makes it any different from any generic IEC cord except a few very basic physical features that would have no bearing on the actual electrical properties of the cable.

Quote:
1 and 3 are of interest to the audio chain.

The solid ground gives you the lowest friction. Not only can it pass the high amp rating, it has to pass low level current ratings in micro amps.

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #29 of 79
Oh you "cord what come with ma TeeVee box" people, you are always good for a laugh. I've found that a good conditioner is equally if not more important than good power cords. The power that comes out of the wall socket (for most of us) is a dirty mess, and at peak usage hours, it's a really dirty mess. You need a good conditioner to take this frontal assault, and then some good cords to transmit the cleaner, much higher quality power coming out of the conditioner to your components. This doesn't have to be expensive at all, you can make a DIY Hydra 4 or 6 that's essentially identical to the factory units for under $100. 

For treble emphasized phones a warmish cord like some of the Shunyatas, Purist Audio Design Proteus Provectus, or some of the Siltech cords could work very well, or you could just use a warm sounding tube amp.

Jun 2, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #30 of 79
Conversely, expensive power cable people are good for a laugh to the guys who work with electricity and measuring said electricity every day.  As long as both groups can laugh at each other, it's all good, right? 

Gotta why some of the $20,000+ lab equipment sitting around here uses generic IEC cords, though.  My o-scope should measure cleaner with a $3000 power cord, yes, and my sig gens should put out cleaner, more pristine signals too, eh?

Quote:
Oh you "cord what come with ma TeeVee box" people, you are always good for a laugh. I've found that a good conditioner is equally if not more important than good power cords. The power that comes out of the wall socket (for most of us) is a dirty mess, and at peak usage hours, it's a really dirty mess. You need a good conditioner to take this frontal assault, and then some good cords to transmit the cleaner, much higher quality power coming out of the conditioner to your components. This doesn't have to be expensive at all, you can make a DIY Hydra 4 or 6 that's essentially identical to the factory units for under $100. 

For treble emphasized phones a warmish cord like some of the Shunyatas, Purist Audio Design Proteus Provectus, or some of the Siltech cords could work very well, or you could just use a warm sounding tube amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back