What portable/transportable amp can work with HD800?
Nov 3, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #16 of 20
Monkey, I do have the JH13 which I use with my portable setup. Apple Lossless>Ipod 6g>ALO SXC>Mustang P51>JH13>foot tapping. I also know that some people think the JH13 is even better than the 800. I have both and I think they sound very different. Sometimes I like the 800 and other times I like the JH13. It's just depend on the mood. And there are times, I like to share some music with other that are with me and during those times I'll need a phone to do that cus' the JH13 is a custom. But regardless of what other say about the JH13, the recable 800 w/ balance is a very different animal. It has a much improved bass range and overall sq. Just love it. By the way, I also have SAA to make me a recable for the JH13 and it improved the JH13 by at least 10 percent also. I commented it in the JH13 appreciation thread. This is all about fun, riight, it you can play with two phone in one setup, why not?

Nov 3, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #17 of 20
Oops, missed that you had the JH13, sorry about that. Then by all means use that 800 portably when desired. However, it appears from your profile that now it's time to get a 'stat rig.
wink.gif

Nov 5, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #18 of 20
Why aren't more portable amps designed with multi-cell rechargeable batteries (or in general, a larger input voltage)?

Someone should design a portable amp that can use an external stick-on battery pack- for more voltage and/or current.

Nov 5, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by eccdbb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why aren't more portable amps designed with multi-cell rechargeable batteries (or in general, a larger input voltage)?

Someone should design a portable amp that can use an external stick-on battery pack- for more voltage and/or current.

First, there are good transportable amps that will fit into a briefcase or bag that use a wallwart for power. Those can be excellent if you're traveling or have a desk where you can plug in.

Adding batteries to a portable to give it the same power as something off the mains gets heavy and expensive. Big batteries can cost more than a quality wallwart, weigh more and be bulkier, too. It wouldn't be all that portable if done right.

Another factor is heat. Batteries generate a bit of heat and if you want an amp operating in delicious class A, it's going to be hot. Too hot to hold in your hand or put in your jacket's pocket. It'll be hot enough to shorten the life of its innards unless put on a desktop or rack with good cooling.

Or, in other words, you'd have to turn a portable into a desktop amp. If you mostly listen to music in one place, your best best is to go with a desktop or at least something transportable. If you have to be mobile, buy really efficient IEMs or headphonesand run them straight out of an iPod.

That's what I do. The iPod is good enough for travel and I save my money to invest in quality components for the home rig.

If money is a factor, then run your cans off a vintage receiver. Some of them are quite good and have plenty of power for headphones. I'd much rather buy an old Marantz receiver at the Salvation Army for $20 than some overhyped and hotly shilled portable going for $400 or $500.

Nov 7, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #20 of 20
The Xenos 1HA-EPC is/was one of the (very) few portable headphone amps with real power, and could drive the HD650 to concert levels with zero distortion. I'm sure the HD800 would give it no hassle.

Out of production though...

EK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back