what player do you guys use on your PC?
Apr 1, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #137 of 193
Winamp (ClassicPro) with ASIO4ALL.

Apr 4, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #138 of 193
I was using mediamonkey Gold... But no ASIO support ive just gone back with J.River Media Center
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #139 of 193
Actually back in the days of winamp 2.xx, dee2 worked really well with it. These days it's .ape, .flac, or 320 mp3's with foobar. I've been meaning to try media monkey as well.

There was one problem i really liked before, forgot the name, forgot where I found it. I hope someone can direct me to something similar once you hear the description: it basically have your entire library, and you can randomly generate a small playlist/CD on command. This allowed me to enjoy a section of my music, as well as allowing me to revisit classics that I might have even forgot about.

I think it was a great program for people with enormous collections.

Apr 4, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #140 of 193
Quote:

Originally Posted by flaming_june /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There was one problem i really liked before, forgot the name, forgot where I found it. I hope someone can direct me to something similar once you hear the description: it basically have your entire library, and you can randomly generate a small playlist/CD on command. This allowed me to enjoy a section of my music, as well as allowing me to revisit classics that I might have even forgot about.

Players that can generate dynamic playlists or smart lists or whatever it is that they want to call that feature can usually do what you want. Have it generate a random playlist limited to a specific size in MB or a specific maximum amount of time (for example a max of 70 minutes so it will fit on a CD).

J River Media Center and J River Media Jukebox can do that using smartlists. Other media players can do similar.

Apr 5, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #142 of 193
On my computer I use Winamp for my MP3's and FLAC.
I made my own special red Sony skin for it. For movies stored on the harddrive, I use Windows Media player or VLC player. Sometimes I'll use Itunes 9. For playing DVD's I use CyberLink PowerDVD or VLC.

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #144 of 193
1. Foobar via ASIO - best combination of great sound, convenience and no intrusiveness or undue interaction with Windows audio/video settings. Used most of the time.

2. cPlay - superb sound but UI ain't its strength. Used for selected playlists via custom cue sheets, which work just fine. Reserved for those few times when I can listen to music totally undisturbed. Also, my speakers respond well to the ability to switch "polarity" on the fly depending on a recording's phase.

Planning to try cPlay in its cMP/barebones Windows environment. It is said to have unbeatable sound but it requires a devoted effort to configure properly.

May 28, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #145 of 193
@ Ektalog: I'm also using Foobar 2k but as you told, I appreciate cplay the best sounding player - especially in connection with cmp-shell (= cmp2). There are many people in German hifi-forum calling it "vodoo", but there is definitely a better and more natural sound in comparisson to any other player I have heard (foobar, winamp, ulilith, jriver, wmc). The only negative thing is the horrible user interface (like in the first days of gui).

Regards
Fujak

Jan 9, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #147 of 193
These days I use JPlay or second to that Jriver 16.  The upsampling on Foobar and CPlay can produce good sound but still lack soundstage.

CMP2 should be pretty good with the excellent upsampling and lower OS Jitter (JPlay with hibernate should still be lower)

if you just have one PC (or even compared to CMP2) then JPlay will provide much better results IME and is more comprehensive in its optimisation.

JPlay if it had a good upsampler would be unbeatable IMO.

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #148 of 193
Foobar seems to be the most neutral, but from listening the difference was ever so slight that I might have imagined it. I have both Foobar and MediaMonkey. Media monkey will put Foobar's interface crying in a corner, with that Win98 look. I know, I know, there are Foobar skins, but in order to install one you also need to install like 4 add-ons and at least one of them (columns) isn't available anymore. So you have to stick with Foobar's atrocious retro look. MediaMonkey lets me go through a library with ease, I can change anything about a file and the alterations actually stay (looking at you, WMP).

Jan 9, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #149 of 193
iTunes and foobar. iTunes Match is just what I need to help protect my collection. It was only luck that kept my PC and all my music from going up in smoke when my house burned a few years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back