what player do you guys use on your PC?
Jan 23, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #181 of 193
I tried MediaMonkey as well and agree with you that there was no advantage or disadvantage over other players.  I went the other way, I found no reason to keep MediaMonkey and stuck with Foobar.  Lots of good, free options out there.

Quote:
Ok I took matters into my own hands. I've been comparing MediaMonkey vs Foobar, both using WASAPI. I can't hear any difference. When I focus on a specific part and I think something's different I try the other one and I just can't hear anything different. This was expected, since both are using the same bit-perfect codec. So I can't find a reason to keep Foobar on a Windows 7 computer (only 7 and Vista allow WASAPI).

I used David Bowie's Alladin Sane album (which I think is very well recorded) in FLAC, into a Fiio E7 playing into my Creative Aurvana Live.

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #182 of 193

Quote:
I tried MediaMonkey as well and agree with you that there was no advantage or disadvantage over other players.  I went the other way, I found no reason to keep MediaMonkey and stuck with Foobar.  Lots of good, free options out there.

So long as we can agree the differences are non-sonic =)
Do you use foobar's standard interface?

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #183 of 193
Yeah, nothing wrong with MediaMonkey, however I like the idea of tweaking my player.
My set up is nothing crazy, WASAPI, no EQ, some tweaks to the visual side of things, going by things people use in this thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/556919/whats-your-foobar2000-setup/210

Here is what mine looked like a couple weeks ago, I have since adjusted the player transparency a bit

Quote:
So long as we can agree the differences are non-sonic =)
Do you use foobar's standard interface?

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #185 of 193
I have been using Winamp since 1998 or 1999. I haven't successfully switched yet. I have tried Foobar and don't like it at all and only use Itunes if I have a iPod. Its definitely time to switch considering Winamp hangs windows shutdowns if open.

Any suggestions for a new media player, where I can change the output device for files played in it? I know Winamp can do this. 

Jan 23, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #186 of 193

Quote:
I have been using Winamp since 1998 or 1999. I haven't successfully switched yet. I have tried Foobar and don't like it at all and only use Itunes if I have a iPod. Its definitely time to switch considering Winamp hangs windows shutdowns if open.

Any suggestions for a new media player, where I can change the output device for files played in it? I know Winamp can do this. 

Foobar2K. It's endlessly customizable, and you can manage iPods with it.

Here's a screenshot of my setup, It's really easy to customize.
http://i.imgur.com/IsW3p.jpg

Feb 29, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #187 of 193
MediaMonkey Gold... so currently it is MM4.2.x with WASAPI output on Win7 x64, for DSP it is Winamp VST Bridge and Electri-Q (which has up to 64 band EQ (I tend to stick with 5) with Frequency, Bandwidth (or Q), and Gain) for my VST EQ plugin. It makes it easy to match custom headphone equalizations between Rockbox on DAPs and on MediaMonkey (or if I feel like using Foobar, or XMPlay) I can still use Electri-Q. (Sigh, Isone Pro is pricey, and I haven't bit that hook yet).

Anyhow, I'm a FLAC format user mainly, MP3 320kbps otherwise, and I'll settle for an M4A if I have to (bc of the iTunes Store being the only outlet for the music), but Foobar (WASAPI and MediaMonkey4 (WASAPI) serve my needs best. I feel like the SQ or clarity is somewhat slightly improved with MM4, over Foobar, no "scientific" "tests" conducted.

Have used: iTunes, WMP10, 11, 12,  WinAmp, Foobar, MPD (linux), Sonata (linux), JRiver Media Center, XMPlay, MediaMonkey 3, and 4. Out of those the only ones that sound good and aren't irritating to use are Foobar, XMPlay, and MM4. However, Foobar and esp. XMPlay are tiresome and irritating to tweak and configure for _me_.

Really liked the SQ of XMPlay, perhaps more than MM4, but hate the setup. I agree with the one poster who said JRiver had everything there, but it was annoying with the amount of steps/clicks to accomplish just one simple thing. It's "slick" but cumbersome. It's too bad really, if they streamlined JRiver I might switch.

Leaving, for all of the above reasons, MM4 for me. Though it would be prudent of them to construct a built-in VST host in the near future, so WinAmp plugins are no-longer "hackishly" necessary.

Enjoy the Music!

Feb 29, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #188 of 193
I can't find a better player than MM4. It has everything, and yet it isn't complicated to use. The library is really good, it syncs my DAP with no issues, it can be used as a video player, and if you use WASAPI it should sound indistinguishable from other players. Without WASAPI, through Windows XP, I'm not sure I can hear a difference, but I could be imagining MM4 to be warmer/bassier than Foobar. Definitely not a difference that would make me do a decision based on it.

Feb 29, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #190 of 193

Quote:
I can't find a better player than MM4. It has everything, and yet it isn't complicated to use. The library is really good, it syncs my DAP with no issues, it can be used as a video player, and if you use WASAPI it should sound indistinguishable from other players. Without WASAPI, through Windows XP, I'm not sure I can hear a difference, but I could be imagining MM4 to be warmer/bassier than Foobar. Definitely not a difference that would make me do a decision based on it.

with MM4 through WaveOut on WinXP (x32) it isn't terrible, even on my crappy netbook (EeePC 1001PX). However through the DirectSound_Out it sounds markedly worse to my ears on the same machine.

Alternatively, on my Desktop, with an Auzen X-Meridian 7.1 (First Gen) Audio Card, Win 7 (x64), WASAPI Out, it sounds quite a bit better (bit perfect being the case here im guessing to be the reason. Though the differences between implementations of bit-perfect differ between the three possible implementations on my Card/Desktop: C-Media's ASIO driver for the card (CMI8788 Oxygen DSP) (teh ick & bad gapless), ASIO4ALL (nice), and WASAPI (even better, somehow (but why?)...

The Library features are pretty astounding, and both easier to use, and due to their multitude, more complicated than the simplicity of say, iTunes. However, I finally stopped using Windows Explorer based Drag & Drop for my media today, and set up my devices properly in MM4, exporting the device profiles, etc, setting up the individual sync libraries, gave it a go, and am quite pleased! WHY didn't I do this earlier... oh well, you learn something new every day they say.

Getting the headache of manually managing my music sync from my HDD library to devices is so NICE.

The video functionality of MM4 will do in a pinch, and I do like the wall of previews, however it could be segregated a bit more sanely, like in JRiver, but still it's nice to have. I find the new VLC 2.0 very very good, or Media Player Classic - Home Cinema with ffdshow-tryouts-svn to be REALLY nice for video instead, though. but that is a bit off topic. whoops!

Feb 29, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #192 of 193

Quote:

Foobar2K. It's endlessly customizable, and you can manage iPods with it.

Here's a screenshot of my setup, It's really easy to customize.
http://i.imgur.com/IsW3p.jpg

I second this, no other player comes even close to the sheer customization available on foobar2000. I'm currently using Bauer's binaural DSP and Ozone 5 with it.

Current screenshot:

Feb 29, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #193 of 193
Are there any free players with auto beat matching, or plugins?  I used to have it in OtsJuke (now OtsAV), but then I started going FLAC, which isn't supported in Ots.  I now use Foobar2000, but miss the beat matching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back