What phones for MPX3?
Oct 22, 2003 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

briana

New Head-Fier
My MPX3 with stock tubes and upgraded connectors is shipping today so now it's time to think about upgrading from my Grado SR80s. I listen to about 60% rock/pop, 20% bleugrass/country, 15% jazz, and 5% clasical. Source will be a Linn Ikemi.

Also, I'm 47 and spent my youth pushing to the front at rock concerts, accumulating great memories and probably losing some high frequency hearing.

I like the Grados--played off of my PC--but comfort is an issue. I'm currently leaning toward the DT880s even though Mikhail didn't use any Beyers to voice the amp.

I don't want to spend for the 650s.

And I've done a search and have been lurking here for a couple of months so I've read all the comparison threads. I'd just like to hear from anyone who'd like to make a specific recommendation for the MPX3.

Also, I'd like to thank Jude for running a great site and everyone who contributes here.

Brian

Oct 23, 2003 at 1:38 AM Post #2 of 9
Theoretically, the Singlepower SET OTL amps should be at their best with high-impedance headphones, though there are reports of pleasure with the Grados.

I don't see spending $700+ on an amp, then going for a budget headphone. But, it should sound great with the Grado SR225 for little money. I'd prefer the Sony C3000s ($360) or HD600 ($269) or 650 ($385), but you say those are out of the price range?

Oct 23, 2003 at 1:56 AM Post #3 of 9
The headphone you choose is pretty much up to you. The MPX-3 is equally comfortable driving Grado's as it is driving the HD-600. The Sony CD3000 is used in voicing the amp, so it's a safe choice. Comfortwise, the HD-600 is very good. The DT880 was a little lean in the midrange for me, but others like it a lot, and it's also very comfortable.

Oct 23, 2003 at 1:58 AM Post #4 of 9
I've used my HD600's with the MPX3 for a while. I think this combination sounds amazing and I'd highly recommend it. If you're interested in the HD600's and don't want to spend full retail, check out the Buy/Sell forums. This applies to any headphones you may be interested in. Good luck, and please post an update when you decide what you go for.

Oct 23, 2003 at 3:05 AM Post #5 of 9
I'm an MPX3 owner with muscial taste fairly similar to yours, and I'd recommend the Sony MDR-CD3000.

I haven't read any reviews of headphones matching badly with the Singlepower amps. If you were primarily an orchestral music person I'd say look at the Sennheisers (HD 600 et al).

Someone has a ATH-W2002 for sale in the Gear forum, and I'd definitely give that a hard look as well if I were in your position. (I haven't heard it myself, but there are various reviews available comparing to the CD3000, R10, etc.)

Since you already have Grados you might want to try the new flat plats that have just been produced and see if you like the comfort and sonic changes. If so there is a considerable upgrade path within the Grado lineup.

Oct 23, 2003 at 3:49 AM Post #6 of 9
I agree with Calos. You have a fabulous amp backed up by a fabulous source, dont go skimp on the headphone now. You can't go wrong with the CD3000, and that W2002 is sexy as hell.

Oct 23, 2003 at 8:48 AM Post #7 of 9
Thanks a lot for the replies. When I said I didn't want to pay for the 650s I was thinking of its price plus the cost of upgrading the cables.
So I guess I ned to ask another question or questions:
What's the difference in sound and comfort between an open and closed headphone?
What's the best place to buy the Sonys?

From what I've read the Sonys will be better for rock, so unlesss there are drawbacks to a closed phone (and I don't need an open phone) that's the way I'm leaning. Anybody want to sell me a mint used pair?

Thanks again.

Oct 23, 2003 at 6:28 PM Post #8 of 9
I think the biggest difference between open and closed headphone has to do with warmth. Closed headphones will get warm after a while (since you know... it's sealed off... of course it'll get warm)... while a good open headphone will stay cool.

So it might affect the length and time you can listen to your music... but it's not *that* big of a deal, it's going to be warm, it's not going to burn your ears off or anything.

I also think that the open air design on the Senns allows them to create a larger soundstage without having to make the driver more expensive. Otherwise the Senns might cost a lot more for the type of sound they wanted to create.

When it's all said and done though, CD3000 creates just as good (if not better) soundstage than the Senns, more intimate and more accurate, for the long and short of it, imo. A good driver design in a closed headphone creates just as good of a soundstage as an open headphone...

HD600 + the cable upgrade is more expensive than what you can find the CD3000 anyway, and I still prefer the CD3000 sound.

Oct 23, 2003 at 6:48 PM Post #9 of 9
CD3000 is the most versatile headphone I've heard to date. They rock in just about every genre I've thrown at them so far.

Check F/S, they do come up once in a while but not very often. Audiocube has them for 375 last time I check which is not a bad price for a new pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back