what phones do you plan on getting this year?
Jan 18, 2003 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 160

fyrfytrhoges

Headphoneus Supremus
I am thinking grado sr225 and I just can't get the Audio Technicas(whatevers) that the people around here keep saying that pink floyd sounds so great with out of my mind. What are you planning on getting this year - headphone wise?

Jan 18, 2003 at 2:21 AM Post #3 of 160
In order of acquisition:
AKG K270 Studio.....mainly for curiosity
Beyer DT-880........having recently acquired Beyer DT-770 and DT-831, I find myself really liking the Beyer sound. Plus there's that nice aluminum case.
tongue.gif

Audio Technica W1000.............curiosity, and that beautiful wood.
AKG K1000..........I just have to get over their downright ugly look, but now that I have an RKV, that should be fairly easy.
I'm sure there will be a few others thrown in that I can't foresee.
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2003 at 2:44 AM Post #5 of 160
Right now, comtemplating the following:
AKG K270S or K271S for classical music
Well, the 271 is supra-aural...so maybe not. Though I did like the mute when not worn feature. When I take the phones off to go somewhere, I can hear my cans throughout the whole house with my 580!

AT A1000 if I can score a deal, for the supposed clarity.

Some pair of Beyers, either a DT*31 series for some clean tight action or the DT880 for some serious kickin bass
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2003 at 3:33 AM Post #6 of 160
NONE I plan to buy NONE...don't tempt me. Stop asking that...why is this question continuously replaying in my head.

Anyways...Everyone I know hopes that I won't splurge on any new cans, but I know secretly that I will...he he. But I realistically shouldn't partly because I am a college student and could be spending my money on better things, and also I HAVE NO MONEY to spend in the first place. But I'll probably end up buying a pair within the next year, at least! Point proven, it is only January and I have already bought my one pair of cans for the year (supposedly)...the HD600 are simply stunning with my headroom Cosmic. If were to get another pair of cans right now, I would get the new (or used if possible) Audio Technica W1000's. Man o' man are them some nice lookin cans. Oh yeah, and I hear they sound good too
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2003 at 3:48 AM Post #7 of 160
grado SR225 or SR325

maybe Senn HD600
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2003 at 3:53 AM Post #9 of 160
yooooouuuuuuuu person, already making me think about my next headphone purchase after i just got some 2 weeks ago
wink.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
. Ive decided i dont like Senn's (any of 'em) or ety's but i loooove all grados. hopefully by the end of the year ill have a mapletree ear+ amp and a pair of RS-2's. I would try audio technica but every month there is a new "much" better pair that comes out and i think id be kinda pissed getting some great phones then finding out a month later the ATH-A2000s come out for half the price. So Ear+ and RS-2s are what im shooting for.

On a different note i got depressed while listening to my NAD amp/PSB speakers/Velodyne sub because i noticed that in less than 2 years im going to be in college and i wont have that, so i better get some nice headphones instead. god i love my velodyne.

Jan 18, 2003 at 4:04 AM Post #11 of 160
I've bought my headphones for this year already, the KSC35
smily_headphones1.gif
Right now I'm really happy with these when I'm outdoors and the Denon 750 when I'm in front of my comp. I don't think I'll be buying anything else this year (hopefully).

Jan 18, 2003 at 4:08 AM Post #13 of 160
I've got a pair of W100's on their way to me now, I should have next week. If those don't work out then it's on to the DT880's. Hell I may just get those anyway.
evil_smiley.gif
Then it's a better amp and source. Hopefully that will all happen within the year.

Jan 18, 2003 at 4:15 AM Post #14 of 160
I dunno, I'm thinking about the Sony MDR-D66 Eggos or the Ultrasone HFI-650 or maybe just maybe an AT from the Ax00 (no A1000 here) line. Though what I really have to do is just get a really good pair of portable headphones and a new 1bit digital amp minidisc and more discs and more cds and more books and more movies and more damnit i hate you guys
very_evil_smiley.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT

I need a real amp too...
mad.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2003 at 4:32 AM Post #15 of 160
The past couple months of monitoring the site has been most informative... a really knowledgeable, enthusiastic bunch of folks we have here. I have learned, and really do enjoy, most of all, the fact that there are so many different types of headphones to meet and suite everybody's different interest(s) and style(s) in music (also important is budget)...that what it's all about anyway, right. It's been a tough decision, but I have decided on the W/A1000... I'll let everybody know my final decision between the two within a few days. I've read (from Kevin) that the sound is virtually identical between the two, but I can't stop thinking about the looks of the W's. The sound is the important thing of course and I'm looking for as much detail and presence for (mostly) acoustical music. I also need the isolation of a closed phone. Anywway that's what I hope to be acquiring soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back