What phone is closest to the HD-650's but easy to drive without amp?
Nov 18, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #31 of 41
rs1 sounds like hd650? I doubt it. anyway i'm gonna be auditioning some buttonless rs1s next week connected to a singlepower extreme with all the trimmings. I'll be bringing my hd600s also to see if they really transform using the singlepower

Nov 18, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #32 of 41
I haven't tried the 595 but the 555 don't come close to the 650s. If you like the sound of the Senn 650's, you may want to try the Denon D2000's. They are easier to drive than the 650s. I wouldn't say that they are the same but have a lot of similar qualities.

Nov 18, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RS1

Really? I'd say the RS-1s are probably the direct opposite of what the OP's looking for since laid-back presentation is one of the key requirements. PX100s would probably be the cheapest alternatives or else you'd have to start looking at HD555s and HD595s. Personally, for portability, I'd say the PX100s definitely win.

Nov 18, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #34 of 41
I haven't heard a pair of headphones that sound like the 650s. They are a unique combination of a lot of great things. Most of the phones mentioned aren't even close.
Also, I found out today that my cmoy does a respectable job of driving my 650s. Of course I did have it powered by a high end 30V power supply...
A couple of steps up the Pimeta is a very nice amp.

Nov 21, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #35 of 41
Thanks for all of the replies. I decided to go ahead and get the HD-650's, J&R had them for a great price.

First song I put on was Kid A (ipod), and then I listened to Dave Matthews and Tim Reynold live at radio city music hall, blu-ray, PCM 2-channel, optical connection to my Onkyo receiver, headphones plugged into receiver. They were a bit bright, but sounded very nice and I only got a song in because I was busy, but I would put them on throughout the day and listen to a song here and there (on the ipod now). Then I was listening to Hail Hail off the pearl jam album Vs. (ipod) and the brightness suddenly disappeared just like that. I swear it was like they broke in just like that, at least to my ears. So last night I listened to blonde on blonde, Mirror Ball, and a few other songs (ipod).

Acoustic Guitar sounds incredibly realistic, I play guitar and know exactly what it should sound like, and on albums like blonde on blonde, and the fleet foxes album, it was spot on, as well as the dave matthews tim reynolds blu-ray disc, but it was a bit bright at that point because I think they were breaking in. On one pearl jam track, I could hear the slight buzz of the amp before the song started, and it was not one of those loud buzzes like you hear when Jonny plugs in his guitar on the first song on that one radio head album (the name escapes me), it was subtle, but there. Vocals are very interesting, best way i can describe it is I get the feeling that I am actually hearing air and not individual notes. On Mirrorball, Maclachlan's inflections were clearly heard, and they were inflections I had never noticed before, it really made me appreciate her more as a vocalist, I can't imagine anyone sounding like her and getting those little nuances right, i could hear her inhale as well. Everything is very dynamic and the bass is good, but not that good, I'm listening through an ipod mind you. I can't wait to hear it through a good amp. Another thing I noticed is that the location of instruments on my old phones was hazy, for example, low notes would be in slightly different positions than high notes perhaps due to them accentuating certain frequencies, but on these phones, everything is very focused. The sound stage is very wide. On Lucky by radiohead, it was as if I was sitting right in front of Tom yorke and the band was playing around me almost in a circle, with the guitar practically behind me and drums off to the left on a circle drawn around me, and Yorke almost singing right into my face a foot or so away with the bass clearly off to the right. That was one of the few songs I noticed that seemed to put me in with the band because of it's unique sound stage caused by all the processed guitars, which was kinda cool.

But in general, they are very detailed, but laid back, not bright, very dynamic and musical and that is exactly what I wanted.

I'm going to build a soho II when the kits come out, and some DIY cables as well, so we shall see how that improves them.

Nov 21, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #36 of 41
You are on the right track. The cool thing about the 650s is that the more you put into them, the more you get out. The budget can go way up there into the thousands. Take your time and add to the system as you can.

Nov 22, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #38 of 41
Good choice. The 650s were one of my first "real" headphones, I still have them and I still love them (even after trying many others). A good headphone amp will certainly let them shine!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then you definitely made the right choice. Congrats on your new HD650. Enjoy!

Nov 22, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't tried the 595 but the 555 don't come close to the 650s. If you like the sound of the Senn 650's, you may want to try the Denon D2000's. They are easier to drive than the 650s. I wouldn't say that they are the same but have a lot of similar qualities.

Well, the HD 555 don't come too close to HD 595, and the HD 595 are a clear step below HD 600 and 650. I've had my HD 650 for over four years now, and I've tried them with a few amps, and just like the guys right now said, the more you put in, the more you get out of them
smily_headphones1.gif

I've had the Denon AH-D2000 for six months now, and they're fun, but they're nothing like the HD 650. It's like comparing a young stallion to the trusty (although retired) old race horse. Similar qualities eh? Hmm well maybe some, but the overall experience is so different, hard to explain but I'll say this, sound quality is similar but the sound signatures are from different planets
tongue.gif
You can read of my experiences from here (sorry for the selfish advertising).

Nov 23, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #40 of 41
I agree that they are not the same headphone. I think of the D2000s as an apple martini and the 650's as a fine robust Cabernet Sauvigon (well something like that). All I was trying to say is that the same people that like the 650 may also like the D2000s (and they are easier to drive than the 650s which is what the op was asking about). I don't know of any headphone that really comes close to the sound of the 650, even the sound of the 580/600s are quite different and many like one but not the other. I found the 555s to be pretty dull compared to the 650s (and 580s) but I haven't heard to 595s. Of course, I am sure that there are some who don't like the D2000s but do like the 650s and vice versa.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaawa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the HD 555 don't come too close to HD 595, and the HD 595 are a clear step below HD 600 and 650. I've had my HD 650 for over four years now, and I've tried them with a few amps, and just like the guys right now said, the more you put in, the more you get out of them
smily_headphones1.gif

I've had the Denon AH-D2000 for six months now, and they're fun, but they're nothing like the HD 650. It's like comparing a young stallion to the trusty (although retired) old race horse. Similar qualities eh? Hmm well maybe some, but the overall experience is so different, hard to explain but I'll say this, sound quality is similar but the sound signatures are from different planets
tongue.gif
You can read of my experiences from here (sorry for the selfish advertising).

Nov 23, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #41 of 41
Yeah, this was probably the most challenging request I've met at Head-Fi
smily_headphones1.gif
And it did made me realize, that these HD 650's simply are something special, you can't get this sound from anywhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back