What phone is closest to the HD-650's but easy to drive without amp?
Nov 17, 2008 at 5:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Jules

New Head-Fier
I've read a lot of reviews of the HD-650 and I really like what I've read (I prefer a laid back sound). I've owned Grado SR60's and Sennheiser HD-497. I've been using the 497's lately. Mostly I listen through my ipod, but I also have a nice Sony SACD player, the 333ES. With the ipod, I can easily hear the difference in a 192 bitrate and lossless. So most of my files are burned in lossless or 320. I hate grain and that's what I can hear so easily with low bitrate mp3's. I also hate a lot of detail and treble, I want the music to sound like I am sitting 10 rows back, not in the middle of the band or in the front row. I want something smooth, dynamic, neutral and laid back with a wide soundstage. I'd like to get the 650's phones, but I'll need to buy a nice headphone amp and from what I'm reading I will need an expensive one. But I'd prefer not to get into all that because it's going to empty my wallet and I listen mostly to my ipod anyway so I don't think I would fully appreciate the HD-650's and probably something cheaper would sound better.

So is there anything remotely close to the 650, or that will provide the type of sound I am looking for, and not require an expensive amp to drive them?

thanks!

Nov 17, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #2 of 41
You'll still get that same laid back signature regardless of amplification, heck it would probably be more layed back with no amplification. And even unamped they will be an improvement over the phones you have. So go for the HD650s and add an amp later
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #3 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll still get that same laid back signature regardless of amplification, heck it would probably be more layed back with no amplification. And even unamped they will be an improvement over the phones you have. So go for the HD650s and add an amp later
smily_headphones1.gif

Cool thanks for the advice. I was thinking of getting a little cmoy to tide me over until I can afford a nice amp. At least this way I would be set with the phones and upgrade everything else around those.

Nov 17, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #6 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

The HD-650 isn't laid back with the right amp. They're not as bright as a SA5000 or an RS-1, but they're not veiled or sedate. They're a little darker and smoother than a HD-600, though.

To the OP, if you want the HD-650, get one. If you get something else, eventually, you're going to buy the HD-650. It's usually cheaper to buy the one you want right away than going through a few pairs and then buying the one you want.

The HD-650s are terrific headphones and you can amp them inexpensively. An old two channel receiver can do the job. Not all of them, but you can always take your headphones and iPod along for a check. Thrift stores, junk shops, second hand stores, garage sales, and ask your friends and family if they have one you could have. An AM/FM radio is nice to have, as is a phono stage.

Building an amp is an option, too. It's not as difficult as it might seem - anyone can build an amp if they want to. Look around the DIY Forum and ask questions if something catches your eye.

Nov 17, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD-650 isn't laid back with the right amp.

Yea, my mistake, my sentence wasn't worded too nicely
wink.gif

Nov 17, 2008 at 9:19 AM Post #8 of 41
FWIR, I suggest the AKG K240 for $99 shipped. No amp needed and would be preferred by some to a non-amped HD650.

Regarding the HD650:
I had two vintage amps, a modern receiver, and a $100 portable amp and none of them could wake up my HD650 and drive it well, no thump, no musicality, put me to sleep boring. Not saying inexpensive ways do not exist for satisfactorily driving the HD650, but I suggest getting very specific recommendations before jumping onto this ship.

I bought and modded my new JBL 410 (JBL410) Reference portable headphones for under $20, and it sounds WAY better than my HD650 ever did. Not saying the JBL is better than the HD650; it just sounds WAY better to me because it is being driven very well by a $60 HotUSB1 DAC/amp. Note the cost ratio: $20 headphones with a $60 DAC/amp. My HD650 was like a very fast sports car that could only be driven up to 25 mph in first gear, no joy. But my JBL is like a go-cart being driven 65 mph flat out, WAY more enjoyable with rock, classical, electronica, and jazz. Again, the comparison is not between Sennheiser's flagship headphones and the lowly JBL 410. It's between two systems, one with an under-driven HD650 and one with a very well driven JBL.

Nov 17, 2008 at 10:08 AM Post #9 of 41
If you like the sound of the HD650, get the HD650 and worry about amplification later.
There are amps that can make them sound good without breaking the bank. Start saving up for an EC lunchbox for instance.

Nov 17, 2008 at 10:49 AM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like the sound of the HD650, get the HD650 and worry about amplification later.
There are amps that can make them sound good without breaking the bank. Start saving up for an EC lunchbox for instance.

Very good advice for anyone wanting the HD650.

However, the OP titled the thread, "What phone is closest to the HD-650's but easy to drive without amp?"

Welcome to Head-Fi, Jules, where the problem is usually solved by spending more money. Sorry about your wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back