What PC should I get....
Jan 3, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #61 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice drive, didn't realize they were getting so cheap, but cheaper with free shipping here

I realize these are notebook hard drives, but I just picked up a 7200RPM 1TB internal drive for my desktop rig.... for $75 bucks
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #62 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeycam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you don't care about portability and would like to have a small, good looking computer to pair with your audio system - I highly recommend a Mac Mini. I can't imagine a better piece of hardware and software to be an audio transport.

this... the MacMini is a great device, it's small, it's pretty. You can even set it up so you won't need a screen for audio use (if you have an ipod touch, otherwise: get one
wink.gif
).
Current models have more than enough storage for almost anyone, but a NAS is a good way to expand on it and you can keep it in another room, no noise while listening.

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #64 of 66
Jan 3, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #65 of 66
Jan 4, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #66 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this... the MacMini is a great device, it's small, it's pretty. You can even set it up so you won't need a screen for audio use (if you have an ipod touch, otherwise: get one
wink.gif
).
Current models have more than enough storage for almost anyone, but a NAS is a good way to expand on it and you can keep it in another room, no noise while listening.

...and it's all guaranteed to work together, unlike a bunch of parts a hobbyist might choose to combine from various kit component manufacturers with different warranties, great if you just want to endlessly mess with your system, and very satisfying if it actually works to your expectations.

But my hobby is listening to music; if you actually want to use a brilliantly designed end-to-end hardware and software music system solution with a worry-free rock-solid OS riding a UNIX platform with built-in wireless and auto-backup built right in, I recommend a Mac as well. The Mini is a serious audiophile component that doesn't get in the way of musical enjoyment, which should be a stated goal of any serious audiophile component.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back