What PC should I get....
Dec 31, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #31 of 66
I am a firm believer that if you don't NEED a laptop, DON'T GET ONE! If you are just going to have your computer sitting in one place and running your music out to your home audio rig, then you'd basically be throwing away your money on a laptop. Laptops sacrifice performance and flexibility for the sake of being portable. If you don't need to travel with your computer, don't bother with a laptop at all.

Now I personally am a PC guy and I build my own, because I get exactly what I want out of my system without compromises. Generally for this reason I dislike Macs, or for that matter any big brand-name computer in general, because you end up paying for a sticker for that company. Some people go with brand names for the warranty and tech support - the reality is that many problems you can fix yourself if you have the patience to use google and/or RTFM! And if you get in over your head you can send your PC to a local repair shop.

All that aside, though, you just have to ask yourself how much of the tinkering you want to take on yourself. Physically putting a computer together is not hard at all, there's pretty much just one slot for each component and it's hard to mess up so long as you're not a total klutz. Installing the software can be tricky for some people, but I think it's not too bad. If the thought of troubleshooting software makes you shudder, just buy a brand-name and really anything will do for what you want.

If you DO want to try to put a computer together by ordering all your parts and assembling them yourself (or even paying a friend/shop to do it for you) there are endless resources and guides out there. I, for one, am always happy to help with part suggestions and I'm sure there are plenty of other Head-Fi members who would be too.

Check out Tom's Hardware for extensive gear testing and some great guides to PCs for a certain budget: http://www.tomshardware.com/theme-bu...r-own,156.html

When you're ready to start buying parts, hit the e-tailers:
My favorite is Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
but you can also try
Directron-Best Discount Store-CPU Computer Parts Cases PC Power Supply Houston Hardware Software PC Motherboards Hard Drives Network Memory Repair Used Texas Compare Lowest Prices Cheapest Reviews Guide
TigerDirect.com - Computers, Computer Parts, Computer Components, Netbooks & Electronics
ZipZoomFly
etc etc

Feel free to send me a PM if you have other questions, and good luck on your new computer!

Dec 31, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #32 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say build your own tower.

Here's something I'd do:
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Newegg.com - SIIG IC-710012-S2 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface SoundWave - Sound Cards <use the coaxial out to a DAC (best sound)

Newegg.com - Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - CD / DVD Burners (or a blu-ray player if you wanna go all out)

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100283-2L Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cardsto hook up to a monitor with DVI or tv with HDMI

Newegg.com - Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm SSO CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks extremely silent fans

Newegg.com - Rosewill R363-M-BK Black Ultra High Gloss Finished MicroATX Computer Case with 400W ATX 2.2 12V Power Supply - Computer Cases case with power supply

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3EG HD203WI 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive I'd think that 2TB whould be plenty for just music and fubar
wink.gif

Newegg.com - G.SKILL HK 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL4D-4GBHK - Desktop Memory

and a copy of windows if you want windows, or you could use linux

so it comes to about 820 USD without windows and 1000 USD with home premium Windows 7

I don't know which internal sound cards are good if you don't have a DAC, I just put the one up there that was cheap with coaxial. If you look around you can probably find a cheaper one with Optical/coaxial. You can scale back the hard drive, too, if you think that 2 tb is too much

The two items I bolded are completely unnecessary if he is not gaming and just wants a PC to hold files. Also, relying on a 400W generic PSU that comes with a case is basically begging for your hardware to get fried.
  1. This CPU:
    Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
    Athlon II 240
  2. This motherboard:
    Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA785GMT-UD2H AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
    Gigabyte 785G
  3. This memory:
    Newegg.com - Patriot G Series ‘Sector 5’ Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model PGV34G1333ELK - Desktop Memory
    Patriot 4GB
  4. This graphics card:
    Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100295HDMI Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
    Sapphire 4670
  5. This case:
    Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
    Antec 300 Illusion
  6. This power supply:
    Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
    Corsair 450W
  7. This CPU cooler:
    Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro
The total comes up to below $500. Add hard drives and audio equipment however way you like.

If you want silent, you can run a Mugen 2 fully passive (fanless) and still get good temps. I've run a Mugen 2 passive on my 1.55V X3 720 and not had it break 60C.

Newegg.com - Scythe MUGEN-2 SCMG-2000 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Dec 31, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #33 of 66
I have been very happy with this one. I was looking for the same thing as you and was quite surprised with what I got in this package. I would recommend getting the 25sus though since it is not that much more in cost. It's one of those purchases that I was so happy with, it made me sound like a salesman when I described it later. Couldn't be happier with the value.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/ms...thread-463271/

Dec 31, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #34 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Afrodisiac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The two items I bolded are completely unnecessary if he is not gaming and just wants a PC to hold files. Also, relying on a 400W generic PSU that comes with a case is basically begging for your hardware to get fried.
  1. This CPU:
    Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
    Athlon II 240
  2. This motherboard:
    Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA785GMT-UD2H AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
    Gigabyte 785G
  3. This memory:
    Newegg.com - Patriot G Series ‘Sector 5’ Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model PGV34G1333ELK - Desktop Memory
    Patriot 4GB
  4. This graphics card:
    Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100295HDMI Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
    Sapphire 4670
  5. This case:
    Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
    Antec 300 Illusion
  6. This power supply:
    Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
    Corsair 450W
  7. This CPU cooler:
    Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro
The total comes up to below $500. Add hard drives and audio equipment however way you like.

If you want silent, you can run a Mugen 2 fully passive (fanless) and still get good temps. I've run a Mugen 2 passive on my 1.55V X3 720 and not had it break 60C.

Newegg.com - Scythe MUGEN-2 SCMG-2000 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

good suggestions. you really don't need anything fancy to serve this purpose. Heck, you could get away with onboard graphics if you REALLY wanted to. then you could spend the rest of your budget on stuff that would be more relevant to you: more/bigger hard drives to hold your tunes, for example. Don't get carried away with processing power, RAM, video cards, or anything like that; you only need the basics.

Dec 31, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #35 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeycam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you don't care about portability and would like to have a small, good looking computer to pair with your audio system - I highly recommend a Mac Mini. I can't imagine a better piece of hardware and software to be an audio transport.

4th on the Mac, 2nd on the Mac Mini. Why hassle with building a computer when you could be well on your audio journey yesterday?

No-brainer as it's inexpensive, and super quiet. You just plug it into your TV and GO with their bluetooth keyboard & mouse on your coffee table. It's got built-in optical out and a beefy outboard power supply; this thing was made for a/v, very good at the "a" part. You don't have to use iTunes if you don't want you can do FLAC if you want but iTunes rocks with Apple Lossless, and it's easy to learn so you can concentrate on actually listening to music.

If all you want to do with it is music, just get the oldest cheapest single-core Intel model that's in good shape as you don't need much power, and fill with RAM (cheap). The only weakness on these things is Apple's "superdrive"; as a cd/dvd-rom it's not really built for ripping a cr@pload of CD's but then most modern PCs have this problem so it's not just with Macs. You can find external cd-roms for dirt cheap.

If you buy used your budget could can afford a killer outboard balanced Chinese DAC with a built-in headphone amp... just sayin'
smile_phones.gif

I use Windows and Mac, been using both forever and if you look at how Windows handles sound you can see why everyone endlessly fiddles with Foobar and a kazillion plug-ins; you can do this on a Mac but if you really like to do this get Windows, there are more options for "fiddling" but the sound is great on the Mac without modifications and much easier to use; a real time-saver IMHO
beerchug.gif

ps; pm me, I believe I could put this exact system together for you if you want, I have too many systems anyways...

Dec 31, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #37 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't need much processing power to play audio files. Any low power laptop or netbook have more than enough power and be relatively quiet.

Quality of USB ports are extremely important. I remember when I tried several DACs on an older Compaq laptop and music was pausing every couple seconds and I wasn't even bypassing kmixer.

Dec 31, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #38 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by .Sup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quality of USB ports are extremely important. I remember when I tried several DACs on an older Compaq laptop and music was pausing every couple seconds and I wasn't even bypassing kmixer.

I agree with you there. My old Toshiba laptop (I'll never buy their products again) had terrible usb audio capabilities. There would be interference from other usb devices, noise from any action performed on the pc, and I had to constantly reset the devices.

I think that newer laptops and pcs are much better in that regard. My Acer Aspire netbook, asus laptop, and two asus based pcs don't have any problems. Even the dell laptop that I use at work works well for usb audio.

Dec 31, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #39 of 66
I too have the Aspire Netbook and it plays audio fine except when using ASIO to bypass kmixer I get these "pauses" every now and then. Not sure what the issue is. I'll measure USB latency on it tomorrow.

Dec 31, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #40 of 66
If you get Windows, get the OEM version for system builders (which is what you would be, after all): Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - Operating Systems

I linked to the 32-bit version, because I presume you would put less than 4GB of RAM on this system. 32-bit might be a little more compatible with existing applications. But if you want 4GB or more RAM, get the 64-bit version.

The only limitation of OEM is that the license can't be moved to another PC later, but for this purpose, I don't think that really matters. A new version of Windows will probably be out by the time you need to replace it.

Jan 1, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #41 of 66
Thanks for all the suggestions - it is greatly appreciated.
If anyone has any more suggestions regarding PC parts I would love to hear them.
I sent you a PM Meatwad - really appreciate your help.

Jan 1, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #42 of 66
I did some latency testing and here are the results

Acer Aspire One netbook with nothing plugged in, not even powercord:
onej.png

Same but with wireless disabled:
woff.png

A dual core PC:
27653335.png

Even with wireless disabled my netbook has been proven to be a worse transport (for a USB DAC) than my desktop PC

I will test another 3 laptops that I own tomorrow.

Jan 2, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #43 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't need much processing power to play audio files. Any low power laptop or netbook have more than enough power and be relatively quiet.

It is nice to see sanity prevailing.

I laugh at all the posts that decree dual cores and 4 gigs to play audio files,any old P4 or AMD 64 with 500 MB ram will be just fine, and pick up a couple old ide drives 5200,then do a hunt on ebay for a used RME/Lynx etc.

Of course if you want to enter the world of bragging rights then by all means waste $1500 on a super PC.

Jan 2, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #44 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For audio only PC I suggest built a fanless PC with small SSD (32GB) and stream everything from your storage network, somewhere in another room. Your goal is something silent. Forget laptop they're not silent enough.

I absolutely agree. I would go Zotac Ion 330 CPU with the external power brick (fanless Power supply) with a SSD hard drive + an external NAS for all your media storage (I use an Intel ss4200e for this).

Laptops nearly always have fan and are noisey and cost more than a similarly specced PC.

Use a M2tech Hiface for usb to coaxial or bnc output to an external DAC for best sound quality or a musiland monitor 02us if you want a ready to use solution including a dac and headphone amp.

Hope this helps

macrog

Hope this helps

Jan 2, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #45 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the long term a dual core laptop could be enough. A good processor with enough speed accompagnied with enough RAM will do. At least 100gb harddisk could suffice.

I'm on Windows Vista which is stable now. XP and 7 are supposed to be better. Apple could work too, but is very expensive.

Good luck working out your wishes.

if your collection will be lossless, 100gb won't provide much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back