What pairs well with a Sansa Clip?
Feb 13, 2009 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

never2clever

New Head-Fier
I have been really impressed with my new Sansa Clip (with UE 5pros).

Unfortunately, I'm not longer fond of the UE 5pros because of the comfort issue.

Can someone suggest what else mates well with the Clip?
Can the clip drive the Shure SE530s? (probably out of the price range)

I'd consider something other than IEMs if they sounded good and were drivable by a clip.

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #3 of 37
Budget? What's that :)

I could imagine spending $200, justified because I would also use them with other sources. And having comfy IEMs are a lifesaver on long flights. I could even imagine starting to slide down the slippery slope of $250 for a pair of SE530s on EBay, if I trusted the vendor and thought they'd sound good with the Clip.

But: my experience has been that more expensive headphones don't necessarily sound better with less good sources. My favorite headphones with an amp (HD650s, or some slightly modded HD580s) are not so great with an iPod.

I guess a related question (maybe this should be a new thread): is there any experience with ebay sellers of SE310/SE530s? A $150 set of SE310s or $250 set of SE530s seem really attractive (if the clip can drive them).

The 5pros are really sensitive, so the (i assume wimpy) amp in portable devices are likely to be fine. Its just they are uncomfortable.

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #4 of 37
For whatever reason, I have two Clips and both have trouble driving some of my IEMs, mainly the PFEs and even the Monster Tubines, but it depends on the track. No such problems with the Westone 3s or Image X10s. So not sure, but do get a pair of phones with a good efficiency rating.

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #5 of 37
KSC75/Yuin PK3/Westone 3

All three have been great with the Clip.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #6 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
KSC75/Yuin PK3/Westone 3

All three have been great with the Clip.
smily_headphones1.gif

Agree on all three, since I have the PK3s and 75s as well.

Feb 13, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #8 of 37
The Clip (rev. 1) I got sounds wonderful with my SE530's and HD25-1's!

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #10 of 37
I have tried all my earphones in my sig with the clip NO EQ. To be honest the best fit was the UE 5 pros sound the best with the clip. The UE's hava the best balance of highs and lows. The SE 530's are just way to dark almost muffled highs. Phonaks sound good but just not enough power to grive them.

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #11 of 37
Dark? Yes, but to call the highs muffled.. that's going too far!
They're relaxed, detailed & not-so-forward but not muffled, and if you want some more, the Clip has customizable EQ
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dark? Yes, but to call the highs muffled.. that's going too far!
They're relaxed, detailed & not-so-forward but not muffled, and if you want some more, the Clip has customizable EQ
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry, i didnt mean to ruffle feathers, im just calling it the way i hear it. If you want a good balance of highs and lows stay away from the SE530's you will be disappointed. The EQ on the Clip is almost worthless, I found that the SE530's dont EQ very well on Clip. Using the EQ on the Clip degrades the sound not to mention the battery usage. These are just my opinions and the main objective for the OP is to get all of our opinions and make a decision.
beerchug.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by illini /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have tried all my earphones in my sig with the clip NO EQ. To be honest the best fit was the UE 5 pros sound the best with the clip. The UE's hava the best balance of highs and lows. The SE 530's are just way to dark almost muffled highs. Phonaks sound good but just not enough power to grive them.

Agree the Clip can't drive the PFEs very well, at least not my Clip (nor yours, apparently). They do sound good, but it's frustrating. I add the E5 and it helps, but sometimes, depending on the track, still not enough volume. And I am not talking stick-your-head-in-the-tower volume either. Perplexed about it, cause some other HFers say they have their Clip at halfway with the PFEs and it's enough. Can't understand how.

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #15 of 37
I use my clip with the ksc75. Although I need to up the volume to about 70% of the max, the result is quite pleasing.

However, I must say that I am not one of the flat-eq guys. I find the sound too... drab with the flat Eq. I usually use the 'Custom' mode and go for a V curve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back