What open-over ear headphones do you all use? and why?
Mar 13, 2014 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Djchase

Head-Fier
Just a friendly thread to see just what equipment people are valuing highly, and what they are using them for (Music, Movies, Games etc)
Might even help me decide on my first open set of headphones, based on peoples recommendations.
:)

Mar 13, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #2 of 19
Well, you will get plenty of recommendations but since it's YOUR head these cans will go on, you need to listen and listen and check what is best for you.

My favorite open cans:

Beyerdynamic T90
Sennheiser HD598
Yamaha HPH-200
Sennheiser HD239 (on ear)
Superlux EVO 681

So in my portfolio there is something for every budget :)

Mar 13, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #3 of 19
Nice collection :)

How do you find the T90s for movies and/or gaming? My aim is to find an open can that places me right in the middle of a scene, not hearing it from a few rows back.

Unfortunately i live in Adelaide, South Australia, and there seems to be no market for high-end audio.
Most stores only allow people to listen to and buy commercialized sets like DNA, Monster, SOL, Bob Marley range, and some entry level Sennheisers.
The music stores stock some AKG + Beyerdynamic but the <$100 sets, predominantly closed back.

So, in a sense, im relying on the good word of the Headfi alumni to steer me in the right direction
gs1000.gif

Mar 13, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #4 of 19
just got the Fidelio X1's.

purposely went for these because of their sound stage being similar to the DT770s. slight U shape, solid tight bass, great highs and slightly recessed mids. they sound great, especially through my modi/magni.

Mar 13, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #5 of 19
How do the Fidelio X1 perform for vocals? I have read about the slight mid-recession, and being someone who listens to acoustic male vocals, and some female vocals, would these be the wrong choice? Will the mid-bass dampen some of the dialogue in movies and result in detail loss?

I generally will be using them for movies (via Yamaha Home Theatre in "straight" mode) or on a Tablet via Fiio E10.

Anyone who can shed some more light on the models below? I have spent the last 2 weeks going around in circles and coming back to the same ones
confused_face_2.gif

----------------------------------------------------
Audio Technica AD1000X
Beyerdynamic 990 Pro (or T90 if i save more)
Fidelio X1
AKG 701/702

Mar 13, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #6 of 19
HD558 sounds great plugged into anything.

Mar 13, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #7 of 19
hmmm, i never thought about throwing Sennheiser in the mix. Maybe i should haha

Mar 13, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #8 of 19
I went in circles too and finally settled on the 558. Very nice sounding headset, natural, and can be pushed pretty hard with a strong amp. I recently moved up to LCD-2 and still put the 558 on sometimes.

hmmm, i never thought about throwing Sennheiser in the mix. Maybe i should haha

Mar 14, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #9 of 19
  How do the Fidelio X1 perform for vocals? I have read about the slight mid-recession, and being someone who listens to acoustic male vocals, and some female vocals, would these be the wrong choice? Will the mid-bass dampen some of the dialogue in movies and result in detail loss?

I generally will be using them for movies (via Yamaha Home Theatre in "straight" mode) or on a Tablet via Fiio E10.

Anyone who can shed some more light on the models below? I have spent the last 2 weeks going around in circles and coming back to the same ones
confused_face_2.gif

----------------------------------------------------
Audio Technica AD1000X
Beyerdynamic 990 Pro (or T90 if i save more)
Fidelio X1
AKG 701/702

i honestly believe that because they're open and its soundstage, the slight 'U' shape doesn't hurt the vocals at all. that being said, if acoustic music is mostly what you listen to, i would probably look at more neutral headphones, like the senn 598s. 

the fidelio x1's are more of a 'fun' pair of cans. also the mid-bass is not overpowering at all, unlike the DT770s, which i used to use. coming from the DT770s it made me realize how deep and wide the bass was on those, going to the fidelio X1s where the bass is way more controlled and tight.

also, i would like to comment on the DT990s, i've read alot that the treble/highs can be a bit too bright, especially compared to others like the fidelio X1s. I can attest that beyer does like treble a bit too much (just like the DT770s).

Mar 15, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #10 of 19
see, i am about to put a target on my back here, but i have just never liked the signature of MOST Sennheisers. Found them to be too laid back for my taste (to my ears anyway) especially when mixed with vocalists who have raspy voices, they come across smoothed out.

From countless going around in circles it seems that the K702 or AD1000X seem like the best options based on my needs.
Is there anyone here who has heard them / owned them and help guide me in my first audiophile headphone haha

Mar 15, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #11 of 19
Plenty of good Aussie online high end audio stores, tbh. Headphonic, minidisc, addictedtoaudio etc etc, then all the international stores (amazon and manufacturer stores like head direct).

No reason you have to buy from a bricks and mortar store at all.

Mar 15, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #12 of 19
I'm a big Sennheiser fan and I have several different models. Played through the Asus Xonar DG soundcard, they all sound great.

My collection (at the moment):

HD 598
HD 595 (probably my favorite at the moment)
HD 555
HD 515
HD 280 Pro
PC 360 (excellent for gaming!)
PC 350 (closed back but fairly large soundstage)

I just ordered an HD 600 and a Schiit Magni amp. Can't wait for them to get here. Super excited about seeing what the HD 600 paired with the Schiit amp can do.

Yeah, I kinda like Sennheiser. LOL! But they really are very nice.

Mar 15, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #13 of 19
The only ones I have are the Sportapros. Got a vintage pair of HD424s coming next week though.

Mar 16, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #15 of 19
I agree, there are copious amounts of retailers to buy them from but Unfortunately online stores wont let me try before i buy
wink_face.gif

Definately alot of Sennheiser fans here, maybe i need to re-evaluate my options haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back